Official © Yankees 2014 1st place!!! Topic

"It's tough, because if it was the right call, it's 1-0 instead of 3-0".

That's a fact, but it's also an excuse. The umps call became moot when the Yankees failed to score even a single run
10/15/2012 11:20 AM
You don't know what happens in the 9th with the score 1-0.  They Yankees probably lose anyway, but it's fair to say their chances of winning are higher.

That said, the Yankees have gotten plenty of calls in their playoff history.  Goes both ways, so no complaining.
10/15/2012 11:40 AM
There chances of winning aren't higher after the fact. Even Ichiro was swinging for the fences down 4-0 in game 1. We're supposed to believe the suddenly held back in game 3 and tried to manufacture runs with small ball for the first time this season?
10/15/2012 11:45 AM
You can't predict what would have happened.  Maybe Leyland decides he doesn't want Phil Coke facing Martin and ARod in the 9th up only a run.  

And nobody said anything about small ball.  You can't just assume how people will react playing in a 1 run game compared to a 3 run game.  
10/15/2012 12:16 PM
Did you watch the Yankees play the Orioles?
10/15/2012 12:41 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/15/2012 11:20:00 AM (view original):
"It's tough, because if it was the right call, it's 1-0 instead of 3-0".

That's a fact, but it's also an excuse. The umps call became moot when the Yankees failed to score even a single run
It's only an excuse if you choose to read it as such.  I'm sure I could find Braves players who pointed out the obvious in the moment, that had the call been made correctly they would have had the bases loaded with only 1 out.  That's not the same as making an excuse by itself.

The bad call changed the game situation significantly - that's just plain on it's face.  Absent some other context, stating that isn't making excuses.
10/15/2012 12:52 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/15/2012 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Did you watch the Yankees play the Orioles?
Yes.
10/15/2012 1:06 PM
Their chance of winning when down 1-0 isn't higher than when they're down 3-0?   WTF?

It's a whole different ball game.   Not that the result wouldn't be the same, Yankees loss, but it's a different ball game.    Hell, as a kid, I'd ask the coach if he wanted the run or the hit when we were down 1-0 with a runner on 3rd.    The implication was I knew, as a goddam kid, that I could produce a flyout.   That question isn't asked, even by a kid, when the score is 3-0.   Games are played differently based on the situation.
10/15/2012 1:09 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Uh, they're playing the Tigers now. 
10/15/2012 1:32 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/15/2012 1:09:00 PM (view original):
Their chance of winning when down 1-0 isn't higher than when they're down 3-0?   WTF?

It's a whole different ball game.   Not that the result wouldn't be the same, Yankees loss, but it's a different ball game.    Hell, as a kid, I'd ask the coach if he wanted the run or the hit when we were down 1-0 with a runner on 3rd.    The implication was I knew, as a goddam kid, that I could produce a flyout.   That question isn't asked, even by a kid, when the score is 3-0.   Games are played differently based on the situation.
Gosh, when will you stop giving truckers a bad name and actually learn to read?

I said "it doesn't increase their chances of winning AFTER THE FACT"  At the time, sure it decreased their chances of winning. But once the game was over and they'd failed to score a single run, it didn't matter anymore. Without those 2 runs, they lose 1-0.

And the Yankees didn't get a runner to 3B after that play. They went 1 for 7 with 3 Ks. So I feel very confident in saying the bad call had nothing to do with them losing.

10/15/2012 6:38 PM
You're funny.  In a stupid way.

You say "learn to read" and then completely ignore "Not that the result wouldn't be the same, Yankees loss, but it's a different ball game".  Which has been everyone's point. 
10/15/2012 7:42 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/15/2012 6:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/15/2012 1:09:00 PM (view original):

Gosh, when will you stop giving truckers a bad name and actually learn to read?

I said "it doesn't increase their chances of winning AFTER THE FACT"  At the time, sure it decreased their chances of winning. But once the game was over and they'd failed to score a single run, it didn't matter anymore. Without those 2 runs, they lose 1-0.

And the Yankees didn't get a runner to 3B after that play. They went 1 for 7 with 3 Ks. So I feel very confident in saying the bad call had nothing to do with them losing.

You're assuming the exact same outcome in the 9th inning, regardless of the score. Which is silly.
10/16/2012 12:19 AM
jtpoops thinks that teams play exactly the same way whether the score is 1-0, 3-0, or 15-0.
10/16/2012 7:52 AM
◂ Prev 1...24|25|26|27|28...41 Next ▸
Official © Yankees 2014 1st place!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.