Your Team’s Worst Free Agent Ever Topic

Granderson, Young
10/14/2014 8:45 AM
Not a free agent in the modern sense, but Lou Novikoff for the Cubs. Afraid of ivy.
10/15/2014 6:02 AM
B.J. Upton for the win.....

10/16/2014 1:05 PM
Carl Crawford for the Red Sox. Total bum!  I once watched that dude steal six bases in one game against us. He comes over to Boston and all of the sudden forgets how to steal bases (among other things)! Glad he's the Dodgers problem now!
10/16/2014 1:12 PM
Are you?  You're aware that Crawford hit circles around everybody the Sox tried out in the outfield this year, except maybe Mookie Betts?
10/16/2014 1:27 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 10/16/2014 1:27:00 PM (view original):
Are you?  You're aware that Crawford hit circles around everybody the Sox tried out in the outfield this year, except maybe Mookie Betts?
I'd probably choose a replacement level player at league minimum (or close to league minimum) salary over 2 WAR Crawford and his $21 million salary. Especially since those two wins didn't really matter to the Red Sox this year.
10/16/2014 1:59 PM
I don't think the average fan cares that much about salary.  They want to see the team win.  And if you really think putting Crawford on the Boston team this year only makes 2 wins worth of difference, you understand baseball even more poorly than I though.
10/16/2014 4:45 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 10/16/2014 4:45:00 PM (view original):
I don't think the average fan cares that much about salary.  They want to see the team win.  And if you really think putting Crawford on the Boston team this year only makes 2 wins worth of difference, you understand baseball even more poorly than I though.
I don't care what the average fan thinks. Salary matters. Being stuck with Crawford's contract might have prevented them from signing Castillo or trading for Cespedes, who is very comparable to Crawford in overall value but signed to a much more affordable contract.

And, yes, I'd say Crawford would have added 2ish wins. Maybe 3 or 4 if you assume that he would have maintained his performance for 550+ plate appearances instead of the 370 he got.
10/16/2014 5:19 PM
Also, way to roll out the ad hominem instead of actually making an argument that Crawford was worth more than that.

True sign of a pro debater.
10/16/2014 5:28 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 10/16/2014 4:45:00 PM (view original):
You obviously don't understand the "WAR per dollar spent" algorithm.

Fans care about salary when the player sucks.   Or management says "We can't afford to sign any FA because we have so and so".

Fans care about winning.   Not once, during the Yanks run, did I give a flying **** what someone was getting paid. 
10/16/2014 6:01 PM
250 Gazillion dollar payrolls are passe'
10/16/2014 6:04 PM
Chone Figgins
10/16/2014 6:52 PM
I liked watching him play.  Carried himself correctly as did his brother.  Hit a big homer versus Cleveland.  Came nowhere near justifying his contract.

Sox fans know there is a clear-cut winner here given the enormity of the contract itself.

10/27/2014 2:17 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7
Your Team’s Worst Free Agent Ever Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.