Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
So I know most think he will still end up in NY but lets pretend he doesnt. Where is he most likely to end up then?
11/23/2010 2:53 PM
MikeT's bed?
11/23/2010 3:02 PM
It seems like things are starting to get ugly there with the latest of no arbitration and telling him to go shop himself around. At some point feelings are going to be hurt.
11/23/2010 4:04 PM
Maybe the only thing I agree with Chubby about ..... Jeter is the greatest winner ever.  He is the Yankees and the Yankees are him.  The only team he will play for is the Yankees and the only team he is worth the money to is the Yankees.

He will sign with the Yankees any day now, for whatever, and they will live happily ever after

Easiest 1st ballot Hall of Famer since Babe Ruth
11/23/2010 4:14 PM
Posted by The Taint on 11/23/2010 4:17:00 PM (view original):
Easiest since Ruth?  Uhhh, no.
Well maybe not.  But still pretty easy. 
11/23/2010 4:23 PM
It's less about who he is on the field and more what he represents to the franchise.   We went thru this earlier this year but there a "faces to franchises" and players who are only associated to certain franchises.     Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, Chipper Jones, etc, etc.   Guys who were drafted by their teams, stayed there for their careers and became stars.   There aren't many of them these days.   Jeter is one of them. 
11/23/2010 4:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/23/2010 4:24:00 PM (view original):
It's less about who he is on the field and more what he represents to the franchise.   We went thru this earlier this year but there a "faces to franchises" and players who are only associated to certain franchises.     Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, Chipper Jones, etc, etc.   Guys who were drafted by their teams, stayed there for their careers and became stars.   There aren't many of them these days.   Jeter is one of them. 
Exactly.  You said it before and I agreed then also.  Thats what I meant when I said "he is worth the money to is the Yankees" then any other team.  People in NY, even Met fans like myself, realize this. I think that even the people outside of NY, that don't understand this, will this season as he gets closer to the 3,000 hits and Jetermania exploses.  (As will MikeT)
11/23/2010 4:31 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/23/2010 4:24:00 PM (view original):
So far...
11/23/2010 4:33 PM
I think, if he truly feels insulted and the Yanks won't budge, that he'll retire.   Of course, it's a negotiation.   If the Yanks are actually negotiating, they'll move.   As will Jeter's supposed demand for 5-6 years.   That's how negotiations work.
11/23/2010 4:37 PM
If Jeter is as concerned with his leagcy and image as I think he is, he will eventually sign for something close to the offer the Yankees gave him.  The NY media and fans are beginning to swing to the side of the Yankees as they really start to grasp what exactly Jeter is asking for.  The Yankees are offering Jeter 3 years @ $45 million.  That would make him the highest paid shortstop in baseball at 37.  If he switches positions, his value drops, and his contract looks even more ridiculous. 

If Jeter retires, which I agree would be the only other thing he would do (because again, nobody else is offering him 3/45) he would not be looked at as the victim.  He would come across as a greedy SOB who was asking for more than he was worth and wouldn't take a contract that was probably 150% the market value.  The Yankees would trade for another SS, or sign Juan Uribe, win 95 games, and continue to have awesome attendance numbers and merchandise sales.  The kid who wants to buy a Jeter jersey gets a Cano, Sabathia, or Lee jersey instead.  If they continue to spend the money necessary to get the best players (whether its homegrown or not) they will win games, with or without him.  It happened with Bernie, and it happened with Damon.  And when this same scenario happened with Mattingly, he retired, the Yankees got a better 1B, and made the playoffs.  The Yankees are still the Yankees without Derek Jeter.
11/23/2010 5:25 PM
1|2|3...31 Next ▸
Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.