© OFFICIAL 2012 CUBS THREAD Topic

Quade gone.
11/2/2011 3:52 PM
As a Brewer fan, I object.
11/2/2011 3:59 PM
Ego has puppet #1 in place.....puppet #2 coming to a dugout near you soon, Chicago.....
11/2/2011 4:07 PM

Epstein tells Sandberg he's not in plans

November, 2, 2011
Nov 2
2:22
PM CT
By ESPNChicago.com
Chicago Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein crossed Ryne Sandberg off the list of potential Cubs managers as soon as the search for Mike Quade's replacement began.

In his statement announcing that Quade wouldn't return next year, Epstein laid out criteria for the next manager. And one qualification excluded Sandberg, who was a Cubs Hall of Fame second baseman and highly successful manager in the minor leagues.

"The next manager must have leadership and communication skills; he must place an emphasis on preparation and accountability; he must establish high standards and a winning culture; he must have integrity and an open mind; and he must have managerial or coaching experience at the major league level," Epstein said in the release.

By all accounts, Sandberg possesses all of those qualities, except the last one.

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported that Epstein reached out to Sandberg to tell him he's not in their plans.
11/2/2011 5:43 PM
It's refreshing to have a guy running this team actually being in charge of what he wants to do.  Theo was an exceptional hire.
11/2/2011 5:46 PM
lol
11/2/2011 5:58 PM
Posted by mudbone1969 on 11/2/2011 5:46:00 PM (view original):
It's refreshing to have a guy running this team actually being in charge of what he wants to do.  Theo was an exceptional hire.
I hope you are right Muddy. I don't like Theo Epstein. It was stupid to fire Quade. Cubs won't be there next year so why not keep the guy, at least he was on the cheap. Now you are going to pay the guy anyway and pay some other manager to come in and do basically what Quade would have done anyway. Why waste the $$$$. Not giving Sandberg a chance ****** me off too. 12 years ago before Epstein got his GM job HE didn't have experience (GM, Assistant GM).

I don't mind if I have to eat my words if it means the Cubs win.
11/2/2011 6:54 PM
11/2/2011 7:26 PM
sandberg leads cards to the 2012 world series championship. hoka hey.
11/2/2011 7:46 PM
Posted by winnetka1 on 11/2/2011 6:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mudbone1969 on 11/2/2011 5:46:00 PM (view original):
I hope you are right Muddy. I don't like Theo Epstein. It was stupid to fire Quade. Cubs won't be there next year so why not keep the guy, at least he was on the cheap. Now you are going to pay the guy anyway and pay some other manager to come in and do basically what Quade would have done anyway. Why waste the $$$$. Not giving Sandberg a chance ****** me off too. 12 years ago before Epstein got his GM job HE didn't have experience (GM, Assistant GM).

I don't mind if I have to eat my words if it means the Cubs win.
Jesus.....really?  It was "stupid" to fire Quade?

Ummm.....you really missed the whole "changing the culture" angle, didn't you?
11/2/2011 7:48 PM
And don't get me started on the Sandberg stuff.  He's not the right guy for what Theo wants to accomplish.
11/2/2011 7:49 PM
CHICAGO—After taking a tour of the franchise's home stadium Monday, new Chicago Cubs president Theo Epstein told reporters he was revolted the team played in a stadium so run-down a landscaper had to be hired to cut down the thick carpet of weeds growing all the way up the outfield walls. "That hunk-of-junk scoreboard in center is apparently broken—they change the numbers by hand—and I don't even know if this place has electricity," Epstein said while directing workers to tear down the field's dangerous brick boundaries. "If this is the way they take care of their ballpark, I'm not surprised they never put together a winning team here." Epstein went on to say he is already planning to build a "proper, modern stadium" for the Cubs next to Woodfield Mall in nearby Schaumburg, IL, and hopes to have Wrigley Field demolished as soon as possible.
11/2/2011 7:51 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/2/2011 7:51:00 PM (view original):
CHICAGO—After taking a tour of the franchise's home stadium Monday, new Chicago Cubs president Theo Epstein told reporters he was revolted the team played in a stadium so run-down a landscaper had to be hired to cut down the thick carpet of weeds growing all the way up the outfield walls. "That hunk-of-junk scoreboard in center is apparently broken—they change the numbers by hand—and I don't even know if this place has electricity," Epstein said while directing workers to tear down the field's dangerous brick boundaries. "If this is the way they take care of their ballpark, I'm not surprised they never put together a winning team here." Epstein went on to say he is already planning to build a "proper, modern stadium" for the Cubs next to Woodfield Mall in nearby Schaumburg, IL, and hopes to have Wrigley Field demolished as soon as possible.
Since you're mostly illiterate, I'll assume you stole that from somewheres else.
11/2/2011 7:53 PM
But it was funny.
11/2/2011 7:53 PM
It's stupid to waste $1M that could best be spent on talent. "Changing the culture" means diddly...it's a cliche...it means, listen to me, believe in me, follow me for I am right...I am Theo...everybody get on board

I'd rather see wins than a whole organization that is built around Theo culture....It's not necessarily one and the same
11/2/2011 8:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...21 Next ▸
© OFFICIAL 2012 CUBS THREAD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.