2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

The O's will not take an out in his spot if they think they're contenders.     He wouldn't be the first kid to come up, play well and then stink it up only to find himself back in AAA to "work on things".
11/13/2012 11:03 AM
You do realize his glove is a huge reason they remained contenders this year, right? The Os place a premium on defense, especially since their defensive adjustments really turned their season around. The Os aren't the Yankees. They'll take D and pitching over offense any day, just like the Rays.
11/13/2012 11:13 AM
I realize that you've taken a ridiculous position and refuse to accept that there is actually a chance that Machado plays in AAA next season.   They will not accept good glove/no stick at 3B all season if they think they're contenders and they have another option.
11/13/2012 11:18 AM
Apparently you didn't see Buck stick with Reynolds all year even when he was terrible at the plate. Try following a team before you start being your usual know-it-all self. I'm not saying Machado is immune to a demotion. I'm saying with the Os needs and philosophy, it flat out wont happen. You want me to say it could? Absolutely it could. But it won't.
11/13/2012 11:38 AM
I'm not sure why I bother.   What's better for Machado(and the Orioles looking ahead)?

1.  Getting overmatched at the plate, game after game, and costing the O's wins?
2.  Going to AAA to get 4 quality AB per game to fix a flaw in his swing?
11/13/2012 11:54 AM
Obviously 2. But there's no reason to think he'll be more overmatched next year than this year. He was not good at the plate in September - pitchers were already exploiting his weaknesses. But he was a stud in the field and their best option. Unless the likes of Headley or Beltre become available, I see no reason that'll change. If he was their best option in a pennant race this season, he'll be their best option next season.
11/13/2012 12:08 PM
Well, yeah, except the teams now have a 200 AB book on him.

Would you say Mauer is a pretty good hitter?    Would you say his first partial season was better or worse than his first full season?

Every hear of Kevin Maas?  Looked like a future HOFer in his first 250 AB.
11/13/2012 12:19 PM
You're missing the point. I'm not arguing guys don't get sent down. I'm saying if Machado was the Os best option in September in a pennant race, there's no reason he won't be their best option in April/May, unless an elite 3B falls into their lap. The only guy available who could be considered an upgrade right now would be Youk, but his bat wasn't good last year either.
11/13/2012 12:25 PM
Seems you're changing your argument.    Of course no one is gonna say "Hey, Machado is hitting .182.   Anyone got Lenny Sakata's number?"    If he's struggling and the O's have another option, he'll go back to AAA.  That's all everyone but you has said.
11/13/2012 12:40 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 11/13/2012 12:08:00 PM (view original):
Obviously 2. But there's no reason to think he'll be more overmatched next year than this year. He was not good at the plate in September - pitchers were already exploiting his weaknesses. But he was a stud in the field and their best option. Unless the likes of Headley or Beltre become available, I see no reason that'll change. If he was their best option in a pennant race this season, he'll be their best option next season.
Machado was .289/.319/.456 in September....so....

If he's hovering at .200 or lower in May, I bet he gets sent down.  I don't think it will happen, but it certainly could.  Remember, he's had just 200 ABs above AA ball, and he hasn't hit for average at any level thus far. 

You also don't want to kill his confidence by having him struggle in the big leagues.
11/13/2012 12:59 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/13/2012 12:40:00 PM (view original):
Seems you're changing your argument.    Of course no one is gonna say "Hey, Machado is hitting .182.   Anyone got Lenny Sakata's number?"    If he's struggling and the O's have another option, he'll go back to AAA.  That's all everyone but you has said.
Way to twist m argument. That's the MikeT way. I said the Os place a premium on defense and Machado is GG caliber. Thus I don't think he'll be sent down just to work on his hitting unless an elite guy falls in their laps. Buck refused to bench Reynolds last season. He's loyal and values D. You may not agree, and that's fine, but team philosophy says Machado isn't going anywhere
11/13/2012 2:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/13/2012 8:18:00 AM (view original):
If he's hitting .182 in May, don't be shocked if he's sent to AAA.   Especially if they have another option and think they're contenders.    And that's not out of the question as teams now have a couple hundred AB to analyze and find the hole in his swing.
It's almost like you don't know that people can go back a page or two and see what was said.

What part of this do you disagree with?
11/13/2012 2:27 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 11/11/2012 2:41:00 PM (view original):
Machado has already proven he's an elite defender at 3B at the ML level, and he's got a high baseball IQ. His hitting needs improvement, but I don't think you send him down just to work on that, especially with the premium Showalter and Duquette place on defense. Machado didn't hit great in his two months in the bigs, but his glove was a huge reason the team improved. No way he even sniffs the minors next season.
Like this.
11/13/2012 2:29 PM
Thanks for quoting that and supporting my argument. Does that post say Machado won't be sent down because of his awesomeness? Nope. It says team philosophy and the preferences of Buck and Duq say he won't be sent down. Which has been my argument all along. His glove and intelligence will allow him to work on his hitting in the bigs. May not be that way on every team, but he doesn't play for every team. He plays for the Os. Would the Yanks send him down? Maybe, because their emphasis is offense. Os is pitching and D. Machado makes Orioles pitchers much better.
11/13/2012 2:35 PM
"No way he even sniffs the minors next season."

This is going to sound insulting but it's not meant to be.   I think of very few people as "dumb".   Often it's just that they're not educated on a subject or they simply can't find the words to get their point across.   They're not dumb.   But you're perplexing.   I don't think you're dumb but, time and time again, you ignore what you've posted, what everyone can read, and contradict yourself.   Or attempt to redefine your point.   For instance, in this thread, a few of us have said that Machado could be sent down if he struggles and the O's have another option at 3B.   You've said, paraphrasing, "That stupid.  He's not going to AAA.  Not going to happen."  That sort of evolved to "Well, yeah, if they had another option.  I just don't see one on the horizon."    Which, quite honestly, is what everyone has said.   They HAVE TO HAVE another option.  They're not calling Len Sakata. 

So it makes me wonder how your mind works.   You might be "dumb" or your mind may just work in a way that is incomprehensible to me.
11/13/2012 2:46 PM
◂ Prev 1...30|31|32|33|34...75 Next ▸
2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.