2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

I definitely agree though, it's not the same as taking steroids or HGH.
9/12/2014 2:56 PM
Banned substance is banned substance.

I'll re-iterate that I don't care, they can take anything they want as far as I'm concerned, but let's not sugarcoat one as better than the other.

HGH/'roids allow you to work harder to become stronger.
ADD has a pill that "fixes" your problem without you doing anything more than washing it down.
9/12/2014 2:58 PM
I agree with a banned substance is a banned substance
9/12/2014 3:01 PM
Honestly, who should be respected more?

1)  The guy who busts his *** in the gym to be stronger
2)  The guy who takes a pill to help him focus
9/12/2014 3:07 PM
Posted by The Taint on 9/12/2014 2:56:00 PM (view original):
I definitely agree though, it's not the same as taking steroids or HGH.
To me, it would be if he didn't have the medical prescription.  I agree with the perspective that cheating is cheating.  What I don't necessarily agree with is the idea that players can't just take prescribed meds in so many cases without clearing it with the league first.  Seems like an unnecessary hurdle.  Doc prescribed you anabolic steroids to recover from a major joint injury and subsequent inactivity?  Three month supply?  Ok - you can't get banned for a positive test for 4 months.  Why you have to then go get the league to approve it is beyond me.  I guess the idea is that you don't want docs just handing out scrips to players for "their teams."  And that probably is a legitimate concern.  Which is why I never said that Davis didn't deserve the suspension, shouldn't feel like an idiot, shouldn't be apologizing, etc.

What I do take exception to is the bullshit I'm reading all over the place where people are trying to invalidate his achievements last season or the Orioles team achievements this year as a result, rhetoric about having a "team of cheaters," etc.  It's F-ing Adderall.  I've said repeatedly on these forums that I don't see a big difference between Mac injecting illegally-obtained anabolic steroids and Willie Mays putting greenies in his coffee.  What I do see a difference between is greenies and legally-prescribed Adderall, and similarly between McGwire's steroids and Rick Ankiel's legally-prescribed HGH he was using to recover from an elbow injury.

From my perspective, there's a big difference between guys taking prescription treatments and illegally obtaining drugs for the sole purpose of improving their baseball performance.  As you brought up, there is some legitimate question about the number of MLB players using prescription amphetamines, and it provides some grey area for sure.  And that's a legitimate argument.  "Cheating is cheating" is just a tunnel-view failure to look at the situation, and that's the perspective to which I take exception.
9/12/2014 3:10 PM
Hmmm, I just realized that my second and last sentences of that post directly contradict one another.  Not in intended meaning, but the verbage does.

To clarify, cheating intended solely for the purpose of cheating is what it is - I don't care what drug you took.  But intent and background matter.

There's no difference from my perspective between buying Adderall on the street and buying HGH illegally.  But I'd much rather see one of my guys busted for taking prescribed HGH than illegally-obtained Adderall.
9/12/2014 3:15 PM
Anyone can get an ADD prescription. There is no objective standard for the diagnosis. That's why so many players get the TUE for ADD meds as opposed to steroids, where it's possible to objectively measure the need for the medicine.

I don't see a difference between greenies in coffee and Adderall.
9/12/2014 3:27 PM
These are your words, right?      "My best guess is that when he wasn't hitting this year he decided to start taking his Adderall again"

So, if he decided to take his Adderall again because he wasn't hitting, what was his intent?
9/12/2014 3:32 PM
I'll answer.    To start hitting better.   He said "I hit like this when taking this.  I'm not hitting like that now because I'm not taking that now.   I'm going to start taking it again, right now, because I want to hit better."

IOW, he was cheating and he knew it.   He knowingly took a banned substance because he felt he hit better when taking it.   I don't know how else you can paint it.
9/12/2014 3:38 PM
It's the same reason A-Rod sought an edge.   He was playing like he used to when on PED.   So he got back on PED. 
9/12/2014 3:39 PM
It's not that black and white and you know it.  An epileptic who stopped taking his anti-seizure meds would probably see a performance decline as well.  Does that make them PEDs?  They're certainly improving his performance.  Glasses/contacts are a massive performance improver, and an external substance.  It comes down to a question of where you draw the line for what is acceptable and what isn't.  There isn't a clear bright line.  From my perspective, the best thing you can do is say "if a licensed physican prescribes it, you probably should be able to use it."  ADD/ADHD is a very fluffy diagnosis.  That doesn't mean that some people don't really need Adderall to function properly.  So where do you draw the line?

Obviously I already said I think he took the Adderall because he thought it would improve his game.  The question is, does he really NEED the Adderall, or is it exclusively a baseball thing.  And even then, how do you decide what is and isn't "cheating" or "fair?"  Some guys play with glasses who don't need them to read or drive.  They're exclusively using them to improve their vision for hitting.  Is that "fair?"  I guess, because anybody can do it.  But you guys are arguing that anybody can get a prescription for Adderall, too, and then in most cases could get it cleared with MLB if they just went through the proper channels.  And that in particular is why I'm not going to condemn Chris Davis for cheating, but moreso for laziness and inattention to detail.  It is overwhelmingly likely that if he'd done the paperwork and waited a week, he would have been cleared to use his Adderall anyway.  So it's stupid.  But he's no more a cheater than the rest of the guys - close to 4 per team - using the same drug.

Of course, how many of those guys have been using it since they were kids?  Do they get more of a pass than the guys who picked it up as pros?  Again, Mike, you're the one who wants to paint this as a black and white issue.  "He was cheating and he knew it."  So tell me where the bright line is.
9/12/2014 4:05 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 9/12/2014 4:05:00 PM (view original):
It's not that black and white and you know it.  An epileptic who stopped taking his anti-seizure meds would probably see a performance decline as well.  Does that make them PEDs?  They're certainly improving his performance.  Glasses/contacts are a massive performance improver, and an external substance.  It comes down to a question of where you draw the line for what is acceptable and what isn't.  There isn't a clear bright line.  From my perspective, the best thing you can do is say "if a licensed physican prescribes it, you probably should be able to use it."  ADD/ADHD is a very fluffy diagnosis.  That doesn't mean that some people don't really need Adderall to function properly.  So where do you draw the line?

Obviously I already said I think he took the Adderall because he thought it would improve his game.  The question is, does he really NEED the Adderall, or is it exclusively a baseball thing.  And even then, how do you decide what is and isn't "cheating" or "fair?"  Some guys play with glasses who don't need them to read or drive.  They're exclusively using them to improve their vision for hitting.  Is that "fair?"  I guess, because anybody can do it.  But you guys are arguing that anybody can get a prescription for Adderall, too, and then in most cases could get it cleared with MLB if they just went through the proper channels.  And that in particular is why I'm not going to condemn Chris Davis for cheating, but moreso for laziness and inattention to detail.  It is overwhelmingly likely that if he'd done the paperwork and waited a week, he would have been cleared to use his Adderall anyway.  So it's stupid.  But he's no more a cheater than the rest of the guys - close to 4 per team - using the same drug.

Of course, how many of those guys have been using it since they were kids?  Do they get more of a pass than the guys who picked it up as pros?  Again, Mike, you're the one who wants to paint this as a black and white issue.  "He was cheating and he knew it."  So tell me where the bright line is.
Hahahahaha!!!!
9/12/2014 4:09 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 9/12/2014 4:05:00 PM (view original):

The bright line is simple.   Take a banned substance without approval and you are cheating.   That's why he got suspended. 

You're arguing with the wrong person.   I said, long ago, that anything that could enhance performance(like the laser eye surgery Roberts had) should be considered "performance enhancing."   Hell, knee surgery is performance enhancing.   However, MLB has decided, in all it's wisdom, that specific drugs are banned.   Fine, whatever.   

Your boy took a banned substance, without approval, in order to play better.   That is by-the-book cheating. 

Is that line bright enough for you?
9/12/2014 4:19 PM

And I've already said that I respect the cheater who busts his *** in the gym to be better than the chump who swallows a pill to help him focus.

IOW, Davis is a step below A-Rod in my book.

9/12/2014 4:24 PM
Well, I think we both wish neither were banned.  At least on principle.
9/12/2014 4:53 PM
◂ Prev 1...65|66|67|68|69...75 Next ▸
2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.