A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Uh, that's akin to punishing a 58 y/o parent because their 31 y/o adult son broke the law.
7/26/2013 3:52 PM
No, it's punishing a company when an employee does something wrong, which happens all the time.
7/26/2013 5:11 PM
So, if you get a DUI, what happens to your company?
7/26/2013 5:15 PM
Not relevant. Getting the DUI isn't job related. Taking PEDs supposedly makes baseball players better at baseball.
7/26/2013 5:22 PM

So the company(team) is supposed to go above and beyond the CBA to make sure their players aren't violating league rules?

Do you understand what a CBA is? 

7/26/2013 5:39 PM
They aren't supposed to go above and beyond anything.

I'm saying it's a conflict of interest to allow a team to escape a bad contract through a PED suspension. It's especially alarming because the team benefited from the PED use (assuming that PEDs actually enhance performance).
7/26/2013 5:46 PM
You could alternatively paint it in the light that rather than the PED use helping the team, it caused the team to give guys contracts they would not otherwise have received and can't live up to after the using stops.
7/26/2013 6:35 PM
Do you think the Yanks got "their money's worth" with ARod and Giambi?
7/26/2013 6:47 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/26/2013 6:35:00 PM (view original):
You could alternatively paint it in the light that rather than the PED use helping the team, it caused the team to give guys contracts they would not otherwise have received and can't live up to after the using stops.
I agree. Without knowing when the PED use started and how much it actually helped, we don't know if a team paid for performance that was unsustainable or if the player was able to prolong the performance through PEDs and actually provide value back to the team.

Either way, allowing teams to keep the salaries of suspended players creates a big conflict of interest since they also, for the most part, control the medical care of the player.
7/26/2013 7:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/26/2013 6:47:00 PM (view original):
Giambi? He was 31 when the Yankees signed him. 4 of the first 5 years, he received MVP votes. Then he turned 36 and the wheels fell off. Steroids or not, did anyone really think he would maintain his prime performance into his late 30s?

The Yankees didnt get full value, not because Giambi took steroids, but because they ignored common sense. I'm guessing they signed him knowing that the contract would be a disaster at the end and that it was the cost of getting those first few years of MVP type performance.
7/26/2013 7:19 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/26/2013 6:47:00 PM (view original):
Also, who are you quoting?
7/26/2013 7:20 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/26/2013 3:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by trsnoke on 7/25/2013 10:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/25/2013 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by trsnoke on 7/25/2013 12:46:00 AM (view original):
I'm not sure they get to keep his salary.  I might be wrong, but I think it has to go to charity. 
I'm pretty sure I read the other day that the Brewers get to keep Braun's salary. I assumed the same would apply to the Yankees.
I've read that, too.  I thought it was wrong but now I can't find any source that says otherwise.  I think the player is essentially forfeiting his salary - if it goes back to the team, there's a potential conflict of interest.  Teams stuck with bad contracts could spike a player's food or drink or plant evidence to try to get out of the contract.  That's extreme, but I thought that was why such a rule existed.  If it does exist, though, I can't find it now.
Big time conflict of interest.

The forfeited salary should go to a charity or something and should still count against the luxury tax limit. A PED suspension shouldn't rescue a team from a bad contract, especially since the team benefited from the PED use.

Is this not implying "money's worth"?

7/27/2013 7:23 AM
Sure. Do you know how quotes are supposed to be used?
7/27/2013 11:10 AM
Sure.  Do you understand how to use "internet air quotes"?
7/27/2013 12:46 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...48 Next ▸
A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.