A-Rod: Satan? Topic

I can't believe that a certain individual can't fathom the possibility that a 40 y/o man wouldn't take 30-40m(after making a quarter billion already) and retire to a life of leisure rather than face, at best, a hostile workplace.   A workplace where he's just average, at best, after being one of the best of all-time.

Some people just don't need the aggravation.    Hell, if someone said to me "This is what you'll make over the next three years.   We'll give you half right now if you go away", I'd take it.   It's a lot less than 30m and I wouldn't be able to retire but, I'd take it and do something else. 
8/1/2013 12:57 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/1/2013 12:54:00 PM (view original):
I get what you're saying.  I said "for ARod" because theyre trying to get him to get his full contract.  

My thought is they'd be happy with ARod going away for good rather than play for another 3 years.  It's an extreme situation.  I doubt the union thinks much of him at this point.  They'd fight for Pujols to keep his deal if the Angels tried to buy him out, for example.  Or probably anyone else.
I think you're really overestimating how much this changes anyone's opinion of Arod. People that don't like him, didn't like him last year, won't like him next year.
8/1/2013 1:01 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/1/2013 12:57:00 PM (view original):
I can't believe that a certain individual can't fathom the possibility that a 40 y/o man wouldn't take 30-40m(after making a quarter billion already) and retire to a life of leisure rather than face, at best, a hostile workplace.   A workplace where he's just average, at best, after being one of the best of all-time.

Some people just don't need the aggravation.    Hell, if someone said to me "This is what you'll make over the next three years.   We'll give you half right now if you go away", I'd take it.   It's a lot less than 30m and I wouldn't be able to retire but, I'd take it and do something else. 
What's great about this is that we will find out. If Arod comes back without settling his contract, you were wrong. If he settles and retires, I was wrong.

I think it's more likely that he will not settle for less than what he is owed.
8/1/2013 1:01 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 8/1/2013 12:56:00 PM (view original):
I get what you're saying.  I said "for ARod" because theyre trying to get him to get his full contract.  

My thought is they'd be happy with ARod going away for good rather than play for another 3 years.  It's an extreme situation.  I doubt the union thinks much of him at this point.  They'd fight for Pujols to keep his deal if the Angels tried to buy him out, for example.  Or probably anyone else.
I'm sure they'd love for A-Rod to go away, but extreme situation or not, it opens up a door they want shut forever.

And I don't think there's even a fight here - I think the union has full veto authority over this sort of thing, if I'm remembering what happened around the attempted Red Sox trade correctly.

That's fair.  I don't remember much of the Red Sox situation at all.  I just think everyone would understand if the door creaked open, ARod was kicked out, and then the door was shut again.
8/1/2013 1:01 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/1/2013 1:01:00 PM (view original):

I think you're really overestimating how much this changes anyone's opinion of Arod. People that don't like him, didn't like him last year, won't like him next year.
This situation did change my opinion of him.  I'm confident I'm not the only one.  

It's more baggage he has to deal with.  To think there's no shot of him giving up and going away to his hundreds of millions of dollars is pretty silly.
8/1/2013 1:03 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/11/2012 9:45:00 AM (view original):
The A-Rod/Yankee fan dynamic is one of the more fascinating things in NY sports to me since he's been here.  He's constantly hated on by so many fans, despite being the first Yankee since the 60s to win 2 MVPs and consistently being one of the best players in baseball up until recently.  He's struggled in the playoffs overall, but you don't face the Red Sox in 2004 without him, and you don't win a World Series in 2009 without him.  You might miss the playoffs in a couple of those years without him.

I've also always thought it was comical that when A-Rod does something, it's fake, but when Jeter does something, it's genuine.  Jeter's interviews are the worst thing ever.  He never says anything of value.  When A-Rod gives the same interview, people rip him for it.  A-Rod cheers when his teammate does something, like Mike points out, and you think he's faking it.  His reaction last night was immediate joy.  I don't know how you can see anything but that.

Now, he's struggling because he's old and off steroids (probably).  And maybe he's playing hurt.  Expectations of him are just too high at this point.  He's struggling in the playoffs, yes, but he struggled throughout September too.  Now the story today will be "should A-Rod play tonight?" Logic says no...if you think that Ibanez is better suited to face the Orioles in a big spot, how it is any different in the 2nd inning?  Play Chavez at 3B and DH last night's hero.  But like Mike said, the story should be Ibanez, who had one of the greatest playoff performances of all-time.  But NY fans' fascination with A-Rod will override it.  I do feel bad for him to a point, and I always have.  But he's still making stupid money for the next few years, so that feeling doesn't linger.
See?  I was one of his biggest supporters.  I even assumed he was off roids.  I was an idiot for thinking that.  Now I think he's terrible for this game and I want him to go away.
8/1/2013 1:06 PM

What's great about this is that we will find out. If Arod comes back without settling his contract, you were wrong. If he settles and retires, I was wrong.

We will find out.   I think a smart man in that situation takes some money and moves on with his life.   Athletes are different, in a way, and ARod is a peculiar fellow.  He may take the "I"ll show everyone" attitude, bust his *** for a year and a half and hope to prove that he's still a great baseball player.  I don't know that the money would be his motivating factor.   Maybe it is but I still think it's a much better way of life to take a payment and open some sandwich shops while lounging on the beach. 

8/1/2013 1:13 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/1/2013 1:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 8/1/2013 12:56:00 PM (view original):

I'm sure they'd love for A-Rod to go away, but extreme situation or not, it opens up a door they want shut forever.

And I don't think there's even a fight here - I think the union has full veto authority over this sort of thing, if I'm remembering what happened around the attempted Red Sox trade correctly.

That's fair.  I don't remember much of the Red Sox situation at all.  I just think everyone would understand if the door creaked open, ARod was kicked out, and then the door was shut again.
He offered to give up guaranteed money to facilitate the trade from Texas, in exchange for increased marketing/logo rights, and the union shot it down.

And your last sentence isn't how precedent works.
8/1/2013 1:16 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/1/2013 1:13:00 PM (view original):

We will find out.   I think a smart man in that situation takes some money and moves on with his life.   Athletes are different, in a way, and ARod is a peculiar fellow.  He may take the "I"ll show everyone" attitude, bust his *** for a year and a half and hope to prove that he's still a great baseball player.  I don't know that the money would be his motivating factor.   Maybe it is but I still think it's a much better way of life to take a payment and open some sandwich shops while lounging on the beach. 

I think you or I would absolutely take the money and retire. I think someone who has gotten themselves to the point that they are one of the all time greatest baseball players ever is probably motivated by more than money. In a way, we agree.
8/1/2013 1:18 PM (edited)
I don't think anybody can apply a normal thought process to "What would ARod do?" because his ego, his apparent feeling of self-importance, and his apparent lack of self-awareness is so far outside the bounds of normal standards that it's impossible to predict what he will do.

One would like to think that a "normal" person would eventually have some sort of epiphany about their situation and decide that enough is enough, it's time to do the right thing and move forward.

I don't think ARod is capable of that.  At least to date, he hasn't shown that he is.
8/1/2013 1:18 PM
Joe Sheehan:
As an owner, as a member of the Player Relations Committee, as head of the Executive Council, as acting commissioner, Bud Selig has done more to violate XII.B than Alex Rodriguez, as a player, ever could.
8/1/2013 1:38 PM
I don't think you'll ever find anyone who says "Bud is the ****".    However, the fact that ARod has people at the table means he's got something.
8/1/2013 2:28 PM
Sure. He's got biogenesis docs like he had on Braun. We'll see Arod starting at third again for the Yankees sometime in the next 12-18 months.
8/1/2013 2:29 PM
I don't know why he would settle on his contract either.  The Yankees are gonna have to release him anyway.  No one is gonna sign him.  He gets the full contract and doesn't have to play a lick.  I suppose they could run his *** out there just to **** with him, but I just don't see it.
8/1/2013 2:31 PM
They could sit him on the bench just to **** with him.   As I said earlier(I think), he's got a bonus for 660 HR.   That might be the carrot he's chasing.   Maybe the money still matters.   But, if it's professional pride, he'd settle for one nice lump sum and move on with his life.   No reporting to camp, no dealing with the media circus, no cursing fans, it's just a better quality of life if you're not good at what you used to be great at. 
8/1/2013 2:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16|17|18...48 Next ▸
A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.