A-Rod: Satan? Topic

That's sort of why it was arbitrary.   What if there were 80 games left in the season?  20 games?   There's no precedent or by-law that allows for a 211.
11/20/2013 2:01 PM
They could have ruled that Selig needed to be there.  If this was a court of law, and ARod was on trial, and Selig was accusing ARod of a crime, Selig would have to be there.  If I'm ARod, I demand to know what part of his *** Selig pulled "211 games" out of.  Not one of his nice-speaking cronies.  At the end of the day, he's going to end up suing MLB and that will get Selig in court.  And when that takes time, he'll be allowed to play until his suit is heard, which could be a while.

11/20/2013 2:10 PM
Posted by skunk206 on 11/20/2013 1:59:00 PM (view original):
I don't think 211 was arbitrary.  At the time the suspension was issued, weren't there about 50 games left in the 2013 season?  I think the number 211 amounted to the number of games left in 2013 at that time, plus 162 more games for all of 2014.  It was a suspension basically through the end of the 2014 regular season.  Since he appealed and ended up playing the rest of 2013, 211 games doesn't really accomplish the same thing, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it reduced.  But I'd still expect it to last at least one full season.
This.

If the suspension was issued a week earlier, the number would have been 218.  A week later, 204. 

As it turned out, it was 211 merely as a function of the MLB schedule and calendar.
11/20/2013 2:17 PM
Right. Which isn't how you're supposed to suspend people. There should be a rhyme and reason on how you reach a number, not just "to the end of next season."
11/20/2013 2:19 PM
It's silly to believe Selig said "211 games!!!!!" on his own.    Essentially, A-Rod just wants Selig to be there to say something stupid.   If/when he sues MLB, Selig will be "coached up" by his team of lawyers.  I'm assuming they knew Selig wouldn't be forced to testify so there was no point.  Additionally, if A-Rod loses and sues, Selig won't be contradicting himself the 2nd time around.
11/20/2013 2:22 PM
I don't believe he decided 211 on his own, but he was the one who ultimately made the decision. I get ARod thinking he should have to give his point of view.
11/20/2013 2:32 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/20/2013 2:19:00 PM (view original):
Right. Which isn't how you're supposed to suspend people. There should be a rhyme and reason on how you reach a number, not just "to the end of next season."
This.

MLB and the union defined exactly how long players can be suspended after being caught violating the joint drug agreement. And then MLB shrugged its shoulders and said, "eh, let's ignore that and go with 211 games for Arod."

11/20/2013 2:34 PM
It seems like they're not just suspending him for drug use, it goes beyond that.
11/20/2013 2:43 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/20/2013 2:43:00 PM (view original):
It seems like they're not just suspending him for drug use, it goes beyond that.
In that case they would have to suspend him under the CBA, not the JDA, right? Or at least apportion the suspension accordingly, for example, 50 games for using a banned substance and 161 for conduct detrimental (or whatever).

I was under the impression that this suspension is governed completely by the JDA.

11/20/2013 2:48 PM
I don't know.  But I was always under the impression that ARod did more than just take steroids.
11/20/2013 2:50 PM
I believe "corruption of baseball" was one of the reasons.   Meaning he brought others in for profit. 
11/20/2013 2:50 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/20/2013 2:50:00 PM (view original):
I don't know.  But I was always under the impression that ARod did more than just take steroids.
That's what MLB says, but...you know.
11/20/2013 2:51 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/20/2013 2:51:00 PM (view original):
That's what MLB says, but...you know.
They knew there would be an appeals process.  They'd be morons to suspend someone for 211 games for a first offense of the steroid agreement. 
11/20/2013 2:52 PM
Here's the statement from MLB. It looks like they are relying on the JDA for procedural issues surrounding the suspension but also invoking the CBA (without specifically saying how) to justify the longer than 50 games suspension.

Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig announced today that third baseman Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees has been suspended without pay for the remainder of the 2013 Championship Season and Postseason and the entire 2014 Championship Season for violations of the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program and the Basic Agreement.

Rodriguez’s discipline under the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program is based on his use and possession of numerous forms of prohibited performance-enhancing substances, including Testosterone and human Growth Hormone, over the course of multiple years. Rodriguez’s discipline under the Basic Agreement is for attempting to cover-up his violations of the Program by engaging in a course of conduct intended to obstruct and frustrate the Office of the Commissioner’s investigation. The suspension, which will become effective on Thursday, August 8th, will cover 211 Championship Season games and any 2013 Postseason games in which Rodriguez otherwise would have been eligible to play.

Under the terms of the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, Rodriguez’s suspension will be stayed until the completion of his appeal if Rodriguez files a grievance challenging his discipline.

11/20/2013 2:56 PM
Only Selig could f**k this up. He's turning ARod into a victim with this underhanded tactics and refusal to man up and face ARod in a hearing.
11/20/2013 7:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...37|38|39|40|41...48 Next ▸
A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.