Should we put helmets on pitchers? Topic

Posted by deathinahole on 10/26/2012 3:10:00 PM (view original):
Pitchers at the NCAA level get hit 48 times a year (if they played the same 162 game sched as MLB)
A portion of those were to the head.

A very loose calc; there were 46 injuries reported in the study, 9 were to the head. So, 20% of the time a pitcher gets hit, it's to the head (in this study)

NCAA also uses metal bats.  Pitchers have slightly less reaction time because the ball is jumping off the metal bats slightly faster/harder than they are off of wooden bats.  That less reaction time could be the difference in getting a direct hit or deflecting/avoiding the ball altogeher.
10/26/2012 3:21 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/26/2012 3:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 10/26/2012 3:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by deathinahole on 10/26/2012 2:47:00 PM (view original):
http://www.dtmba.com/mueller.pdf

Interesting study.

Granted, the premise is metal vs wooden bats, but it does get into odds of a pitcher getting hit per batted ball.

Taking this thread off on a loosely related tangent . . .

It seems that a bigger potential injury risk is the use of maple baseball bats in MLB, as they tend to break and shatter and fly all over the place,  While the traditional ash bats also broke, they didn't produce the same level of flying shrapnel that shattered maple bats tend to have.

Before they start putting helmets on pitchers, maybe they should reconsider the use of maple bats in MLB.

1) agree with the maple bat ban
2) agree with disallowing metal bats in college
3) agree in putting helmets on pitchers
Rather than eliminate metal bats, it seems that they should be able to throttle them back such that they don't provide any more force against a pitched ball than would a wooden bat.
10/26/2012 3:26 PM
Totally anecdotal, but I would hate pitching with a helmet.  Just wouldn't feel right, probably something you would at least have to grandfather in.  It also seems to me that there'd be a tendency for anything remotely similar to a batting helmet to fall off.  And I don't like the idea of the added weight.  Don't really even like wearing a hat to throw...
10/26/2012 3:35 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/26/2012 3:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/26/2012 3:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by deathinahole on 10/26/2012 3:02:00 PM (view original):
Batters get hit in the face too. Should they wear a shield? At the very least, they don't take off their helmet and go "the odds are I'm going to get hit in the face anyway".
Batters are instructed to move.   Pitchers aren't.

Should pitchers wear shinguards?   64% of pitchers hit by batted balls are hit below the belt.    At what point do we say "This just isn't safe.  Scrap this ******* game!"  

Seriously, I have to drive to the gym in a couple of hours.   Exercising could cause cardiac arrest.  It happens.   Or I could get hit by a car on the way.  It happens.  Should I skip the gym?   Or should I say "Life is full of risks.  You can't live it if you hope to avoid all of them."
The better analogy would be "I'm not wearing a seat belt when I drive to the gym."
I don't wear seatbelts.   I didn't have to when I learned to drive and I somehow lived.  And, shockingly, I didn't dress like a goalie when I rode a bike.

PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA!!!
10/26/2012 7:31 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/26/2012 3:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by deathinahole on 10/26/2012 3:10:00 PM (view original):
Pitchers at the NCAA level get hit 48 times a year (if they played the same 162 game sched as MLB)
A portion of those were to the head.

A very loose calc; there were 46 injuries reported in the study, 9 were to the head. So, 20% of the time a pitcher gets hit, it's to the head (in this study)

NCAA also uses metal bats.  Pitchers have slightly less reaction time because the ball is jumping off the metal bats slightly faster/harder than they are off of wooden bats.  That less reaction time could be the difference in getting a direct hit or deflecting/avoiding the ball altogeher.

Composite bats.   They actually hit like wood bats now.    Couple of years ago. 

10/26/2012 7:33 PM
Mike is right. Bully the batter. Low self esteem = lack of aggressiveness at the plate.

Kill the bullying, and you kill the pitcher.
10/26/2012 7:37 PM

Bullying.   More PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA!!!

Everything is bullying.  Sometimes you gotta tell a fat kid he's fat.  Otherwise, you have an obesity problem.   Everybody has to feel good about themselves.  **** that noise.  In fact, now that I think about it, if a pitcher dies from taking one of the noggin, that's just thinning out the herd.   Get his slow reaction *** out of the breeding pool.

10/26/2012 7:45 PM
Equal rights. Pull that gawdamn goofy looking earflap ***** helmet off the batter and man him up.

I'll go one further; padding and helmets killed hockey. Gordie Howe had no helmet. Gordie Howe barely had padding of any kind. He had elbow pads, but that was so he could make the MF Canadiens eat some of it.

THE PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA HAS SPREAD TO CANADA!!!! EVER SINCE WE LET THE ROOSKIES INTO THE NHL!!!!
10/26/2012 7:56 PM
******* Gordie Howe had it right.  Rub some ice on it and get your *** back in the game.   Gordie Howe should hunt down McCarver, burnsy483 and anyone who voted "yes" and stomp the **** out of their ***** *****.
10/26/2012 8:15 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/26/2012 7:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/26/2012 3:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/26/2012 3:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by deathinahole on 10/26/2012 3:02:00 PM (view original):
Batters get hit in the face too. Should they wear a shield? At the very least, they don't take off their helmet and go "the odds are I'm going to get hit in the face anyway".
Batters are instructed to move.   Pitchers aren't.

Should pitchers wear shinguards?   64% of pitchers hit by batted balls are hit below the belt.    At what point do we say "This just isn't safe.  Scrap this ******* game!"  

Seriously, I have to drive to the gym in a couple of hours.   Exercising could cause cardiac arrest.  It happens.   Or I could get hit by a car on the way.  It happens.  Should I skip the gym?   Or should I say "Life is full of risks.  You can't live it if you hope to avoid all of them."
The better analogy would be "I'm not wearing a seat belt when I drive to the gym."
I don't wear seatbelts.   I didn't have to when I learned to drive and I somehow lived.  And, shockingly, I didn't dress like a goalie when I rode a bike.

PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA!!!
You can be the best driver and you can't avoid all potential accidents. You can be the best pitcher but you can't always avoid line drives at your head.
10/26/2012 8:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/26/2012 8:15:00 PM (view original):
******* Gordie Howe had it right.  Rub some ice on it and get your *** back in the game.   Gordie Howe should hunt down McCarver, burnsy483 and anyone who voted "yes" and stomp the **** out of their ***** *****.
If being a ***** means I don't like people dying, then I guess I'm a *****!
10/26/2012 8:23 PM
Gordie Howe didn't like people dying.

Unless they were the MF Montreal Canadiens. ******* Rocket Richard. Eat some elbow, *****.
10/26/2012 8:34 PM

Gordie Howe would twatpunch you for admitting to being a *****.

10/26/2012 8:39 PM
Ow. My **** hurts.
10/26/2012 9:34 PM
TAKEAWAY BODY ARMOUR FOR BATTERS

NO HELMETS FOR PITCHERS, UNLESS THEY VOLUNTEER

----------COMMISH CRESTEN------------
10/27/2012 6:15 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Should we put helmets on pitchers? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.