Qualifications for the Gold Glove Topic

How would you handle it? Some questions to consider:

Would you use games or innings?

How many would be required for a player to qualify?

Would he have to play the qualifying number of games or innings at the position he is being judged at, or just in general, and then he would be evaluated at his primary position?

Regardless of how you answer the third question, I think outfielders would have to be treated the second way. Mike Trout played only 885 2/3 innings at center field, but 1,225 2/3 overall. He clearly should qualify.

Once you've determined your qualifications, I'd like to see your choices for the awards at each position, AL and NL. Pitchers optional.
11/1/2012 12:29 PM
Trout did qualify, if you're referring to the real awards. He just didn't win. And though he should have, the fact that he played 1/3 of his innings in LF, while the other two finalists played all their innings in CF hurt him.
11/1/2012 11:05 PM
To clarify, I meant that Trout should qualify under anyone's personal qualification method, not whether he did under the real awards.
11/2/2012 12:36 PM
I wonder if voters did look at innings played more than they have in past, or at least more than what my perception is of how much they looked at it in the past.  Half of the winners led their league in amount of defensive innings at their position.  That includes two of the picks I have seen most criticized, McCutchen and Jones.  I'd support an innings qualification and I'd make it something like 6 innings at the position per team game for position players.  I think that should be roughly equivalent to amount of PA required to qualify for batting title, maybe a little lower.  Fielders would basically "earn" a day of rest or injury or time at another position for each 3 full games played at their main position.  That would have still given double digit candidates for each position, even if it would disqualify Trout this season.  Trout would have qualified under this system if he hadn't missed the first month.
11/2/2012 6:15 PM
Whoever hits the best. 

Oh wait, you asked how I would it, not how the MLB does it.

11/2/2012 9:24 PM
Posted by trsnoke on 11/2/2012 6:15:00 PM (view original):
I wonder if voters did look at innings played more than they have in past, or at least more than what my perception is of how much they looked at it in the past.  Half of the winners led their league in amount of defensive innings at their position.  That includes two of the picks I have seen most criticized, McCutchen and Jones.  I'd support an innings qualification and I'd make it something like 6 innings at the position per team game for position players.  I think that should be roughly equivalent to amount of PA required to qualify for batting title, maybe a little lower.  Fielders would basically "earn" a day of rest or injury or time at another position for each 3 full games played at their main position.  That would have still given double digit candidates for each position, even if it would disqualify Trout this season.  Trout would have qualified under this system if he hadn't missed the first month.
That could work, although I think we'd need to be a little more flexible with outfielders, since they move around more. While Trout did miss time, he also finished 13th among all AL outfielders in innings played. With that caveat, plus the 972 innings for infielders, here's what I have:

NL

C Yadier Molina
1B Adam LaRoche
2B Darwin Barney
3B David Wright
SS Brandon Crawford
LF Martin Prado
CF Michael Bourn
RF Jason Heyward

AL

C Matt Wieters
1B Mark Teixeira
2B Robinson Cano
3B Adrian Beltre
SS Brendan Ryan
LF Alex Gordon
CF Mike Trout
RF Josh Reddick

I welcome the criticism.
11/3/2012 12:59 AM
And we'd need to lower the threshold for catchers, naturally. Nevertheless, my catcher choices stay the same.
11/3/2012 12:39 PM
Posted by 1899_spiders on 11/1/2012 12:29:00 PM (view original):
How would you handle it? Some questions to consider:

Would you use games or innings?

How many would be required for a player to qualify?

Would he have to play the qualifying number of games or innings at the position he is being judged at, or just in general, and then he would be evaluated at his primary position?

Regardless of how you answer the third question, I think outfielders would have to be treated the second way. Mike Trout played only 885 2/3 innings at center field, but 1,225 2/3 overall. He clearly should qualify.

Once you've determined your qualifications, I'd like to see your choices for the awards at each position, AL and NL. Pitchers optional.
My question would be if Trout was truly so good in Ceter Field then why were they moving him to LF late in games?
11/3/2012 12:51 PM
I think that's what killed him - the voters are the managers and coaches - I highly doubt they were looking at innings numbers and saying "well, Jones played there more."  But they are going to remember the fact that he got moved from CF to LF in games they were playing.  Now, the guy they brought into CF in those situations was their starter last year and is evidently a defensive stud in his own right, so it doesn't necessarily mean he's still not the best starting CF in the league, but I'm sure that cost him plenty of votes right there.
11/3/2012 1:01 PM
I guarantee it did. Trout is something special in the field, but I'm sure voters were thinking "how do we give a GG to a guy who's not even the best defensive CF on his own team?"

Fair? Perhaps not, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
11/3/2012 5:00 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 11/3/2012 5:00:00 PM (view original):
I guarantee it did. Trout is something special in the field, but I'm sure voters were thinking "how do we give a GG to a guy who's not even the best defensive CF on his own team?"

Fair? Perhaps not, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Bourjos was outstanding this year, and seems to be a great fielder in general. I would give it to Trout because he was the best eligible center fielder. Nevertheless, you're absolutely right in your analysis of the voting.
11/3/2012 5:52 PM
Here's where my votes would have gone, based on my innings criteria (sorry, Trout).  I wouldn't give CF credit for innings at other OF spots.

NL/AL:

C: Molina/Weiters
1B: LaRoche/Teixeira
2B: Barney/Cano
3B: Wright/Moustakas
SS: Barmes/Ryan
LF: Prado/Gordon
CF: Bourn/Span
RF: Heyward/Reddick

That Braves OF was something this year.
11/3/2012 6:35 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 11/3/2012 1:01:00 PM (view original):
I think that's what killed him - the voters are the managers and coaches - I highly doubt they were looking at innings numbers and saying "well, Jones played there more."  But they are going to remember the fact that he got moved from CF to LF in games they were playing.  Now, the guy they brought into CF in those situations was their starter last year and is evidently a defensive stud in his own right, so it doesn't necessarily mean he's still not the best starting CF in the league, but I'm sure that cost him plenty of votes right there.
Jones led the league in PO by a pretty wide margin so I'm pretty sure that's what the voters focused on for Jones.  That would be a function of his MLB leading innings in CF, at least in part.  He must have played almost every inning of the season.  He was more than 90 innings ahead of everyone else, 100+ innings ahead of all but two MLB CF and 200+ ahead of all but four.  Thats a lot of playing time.
11/3/2012 6:48 PM
Qualifications for the Gold Glove Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.