2013 Hall of Fame Ballot Topic

I just explained why she doesn't see Walker or Raines as HOF-worthy.
1/9/2013 9:14 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2013 8:15:00 PM (view original):
I'd argue she had a different standard.

Walker, park assisted.   Raines, admitted druggie.

I've argued before that the step from Raines to Lofton to Brett Butler isn't that big anyway.   Who wants Brett Butler anywhere near the HOF?
That's dumb. The difference between Raines and Butler is huge. That's almost as stupid as when you said Bernie Williams was as good offensively as Edgar Martinez.
1/9/2013 9:23 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 1/9/2013 8:15:00 PM (view original):
I prefer people putting Green, Lofton, Bernie, Sele rather than the ***** that submit a blank ballot.
A blank ballot is legit, if you truly think that nobody is worthy of a vote.  Not sending in a ballot at all is irresponsible, and anybody who does that should be stripped of their right in future elections.
1/9/2013 9:27 PM
Take away the 'roiders, and you didn't really have a HOF quality ballot.

I can see Biggio and Piazza, but neither was first-ballot worthy.  Nobody else.

Raines doesn't belong.  Morris doesn't belong.  Walker doesn't belong.  Martinez doesn't belong.
1/9/2013 9:33 PM

WAR over 4:
Raines 5 seasons
Butler 6 seasons
Lofton 7 seasons

You're right.  Butler is better, Oh King o' War.

1/9/2013 9:33 PM
So WAR is the most important stat now?
1/9/2013 9:44 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2013 9:14:00 PM (view original):
I just explained why she doesn't see Walker or Raines as HOF-worthy.
I get that. But if you don't see Walker or Raines as worthy, there is ZERO way you can paint Green as HOF worthy. Which was the entire issue with her ballot. If Walker and Raines aren't on it, that's fine...but then you pick two comparable (and arguably worse) players and vote for them? It's retarded.
1/9/2013 9:50 PM
Shawn Green was an obvious roider.  He was barely the face of the Dodgers franchise & was roided out by the time he got to Queens!
1/9/2013 11:55 PM
RELIGIOUS PRIDE?
1/10/2013 6:49 AM
To be honest I figured Green got a throw-in vote or two because he was the most notable Jew in baseball. Guess I was wrong, at least in her case.

And on one point I fully agree with MikeT - these throwaway votes happen every year, and are inconsequential. If a guy will only likely be on the ballot one time (like Green or Julio Franco this year, or Eric Young and Bill Mueller last year, among many more examples) then what does it hurt to throw a guy a vote. The writers have relationships with guys and will give them a little nod to recognize their career.

I think it's much more egregious to leave off an obvious HOFer than to put one on who is obviously not going to make it.

Look, Sandy Alomar Jr got 6 votes. Clearly, he left a good impression with a number of writers, because nobody could argue he had a legitimate HOF career.
1/10/2013 10:11 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2013 9:33:00 PM (view original):

WAR over 4:
Raines 5 seasons
Butler 6 seasons
Lofton 7 seasons

You're right.  Butler is better, Oh King o' War.

Since you want to use WAR, WAR over 5:

Butler 1 season
Raines 6 seasons
Gwynn 4 seasons
Jeter 4 seasons

I'm using baseball reference's WAR. Not sure where you got the 5 seasons over 4 for Raines.
1/10/2013 11:23 AM (edited)
Posted by mfahie on 1/10/2013 10:11:00 AM (view original):
To be honest I figured Green got a throw-in vote or two because he was the most notable Jew in baseball. Guess I was wrong, at least in her case.

And on one point I fully agree with MikeT - these throwaway votes happen every year, and are inconsequential. If a guy will only likely be on the ballot one time (like Green or Julio Franco this year, or Eric Young and Bill Mueller last year, among many more examples) then what does it hurt to throw a guy a vote. The writers have relationships with guys and will give them a little nod to recognize their career.

I think it's much more egregious to leave off an obvious HOFer than to put one on who is obviously not going to make it.

Look, Sandy Alomar Jr got 6 votes. Clearly, he left a good impression with a number of writers, because nobody could argue he had a legitimate HOF career.
I agree...the throw-in votes don't bother me, as long as you don't have 10 other names. The main issue with Painter was pretty much everyone would agree a lot of the guys she left off her ballot (clean guys) are a hell of a lot more deserving of a HOF vote than Green.
1/10/2013 1:37 PM

So, if she felt that NO ONE was HOF-worthy, would it matter if she votes for Green?   

Of course, that's removing her comments from the situation.  

IOW, does her vote for Green really matter?

1/10/2013 2:14 PM
It doesn't matter.  The point is more, why does this obviously incompetent writer have a vote?  

The ironic part is that she didn't vote for suspected steroid users, and I could easily make a case for Shawn Green using.  It's interesting that he was a 15 HR hitter and then suddenly was popping 40+ at a time.
1/10/2013 3:29 PM (edited)
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/10/2013 3:29:00 PM (view original):
It doesn't matter.  The point is more, why does this obviously incompetent writer have a vote?  

The ironic part is that she didn't vote for suspected steroid users, and I could easily make a case for Shawn Green using.  It's interesting that he was a 15 HR hitter and then suddenly was popping 40+ at a time.
The entire process is a joke. Three writers from GolfersWest.com have Hall of Fame votes.
1/10/2013 3:34 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...17 Next ▸
2013 Hall of Fame Ballot Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.