Greinke Topic

On the verge of a 6 year deal worth nearly $25M per season, despite really only having one great season in his career. He'll be solid, especially in LA, but it's unreal that he will be the highest paid pitcher ever.
12/8/2012 10:27 PM
Funny that Frank McCourt would turn out to be the more responsible Dodgers' owner.  This group are like drunken sailors on a port visit on payday.
12/8/2012 10:54 PM
RATHER HAVE THE DRUNKEN SAILOR SPENDERS THAN THE MISERLY ***s WHO INVEST WITH BERNIE MADOFF TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK
12/9/2012 5:00 AM
McCourt was taking the money he saved from the Dodgers to spend on himself, at least the current owners are spending their money on baseball.  But, it won't be surprising if they turn out to be the baseball version of the 2011-12 Philadelphia Eagles.  I  agree that this is overpaying Greinke.
12/10/2012 5:05 PM
You think they're going to wind up with subpar lines so their stud skill players never have the opportunity to show off their talents?
12/10/2012 8:13 PM
Posted by evil_twin on 12/8/2012 10:55:00 PM (view original):
Funny that Frank McCourt would turn out to be the more responsible Dodgers' owner.  This group are like drunken sailors on a port visit on payday.
It's not irresponsible.  They're trying to do everything in their power to max out television viewership this season for their negotiations with FOX on their TV deal.  Deal could be worth upwards of a quarter billion a year for the Dodgers' TV rights.  That's just ridiculous, and it's going to allow them to cover this massive payroll.  Long-term they can try to move towards fiscal responsibility, but for the time being the best thing they can do is demonstrate that they're committed to winning.
12/10/2012 8:18 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 12/10/2012 8:13:00 PM (view original):
You think they're going to wind up with subpar lines so their stud skill players never have the opportunity to show off their talents?
Yes, exactly!  No, more like a team of overpriced, underachievers with bad chemistry.  But chemistry is not as important in baseball and if things go right they could be very good.  But right now they have a career minor leaguer at 3B, an underachieving, mediocre fielding SS in Hanley (or Gordon, who might get better but last year was one of the worst SS's in baseball) two players past their prime at LF and 2B (Ellis and Crawford).  They do have a great 1-2 SP punch in Kershaw and Greinke, and Beckett might return to his glory days.  Their other 3 SP's were solid last year but are also past their prime.  They should be a solid team but they have some holes and they need to win now.

Greinke has had 3 pretty good years since his Cy Young but has not been anywhere close to dominant.  He also has social anxiety, so being the highest paid pitcher in baseball pitching in LA may lead to an "Ed Whitson" situation.  I hope not, he seems like a good guy and I hope he does well, this just does not seem like a good fit.  But I could be wrong. 

You have a good point about demonstrating the willingness to win and stay relevant for the tv contract, I'm just saying from an on-field view they are taking some huge risks.
12/10/2012 8:45 PM (edited)
No doubt.
12/10/2012 9:23 PM
Greinke Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.