Sign petition to strip BBWAA of HOF voting rights! Topic

This is a true grassroots movement!  We already have 10 signatures, & I bet we can double that by the end of the weekend!

www.ipetitions.com/petition/strip-sports-writers-of-all-mlb-hall-of-famehall-o/signatures

1/12/2013 11:16 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
i like the writers running the show

they have to actually watch the games is the theory

announcers and color guys are the only one i know for sure do

radio and tv

cause i hear and watch them watch

pluswise the record's on tape somewhere, or whatever they use for tape these days

1/19/2013 5:54 PM
Does anyone believe any other group would really do better than the writers?

Most of the bogus entries into the hall came from Frankie Frisch's control of the Veterans Committee two generations ago.
2/10/2013 12:37 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 1/19/2013 5:54:00 PM (view original):
i like the writers running the show

they have to actually watch the games is the theory

announcers and color guys are the only one i know for sure do

radio and tv

cause i hear and watch them watch

pluswise the record's on tape somewhere, or whatever they use for tape these days

The other article I posted about writers giving up was written by TJ Quinn of ESPN who stated that he essentially stopped following baseball about 10 years ago yet continues to receive a ballott.  Howard Bryant stating that he sent in a blank ballott should also disqualify him from future elections! 
2/10/2013 12:43 PM

The process certain could use some reform, but seriously - giving the vote to the players and fans?   Now there's a winner.   Don't people scream about the fan vote for the All-Star Game every year?

2/10/2013 7:03 PM
The Hall of Likeable Players.
2/12/2013 9:41 PM
Posted by doubletruck on 2/10/2013 12:37:00 PM (view original):

Most of the bogus entries into the hall came from Frankie Frisch's control of the Veterans Committee two generations ago.
Yes sir, I do.  A select committee of scholars from the Society of American Baseball Research.
2/13/2013 4:56 PM
The BBWAA  vote like a bunch of catty 14 year-old girls. They don't deserve the privilege. I'm with Spotsell, SABR would be the best choice.
2/13/2013 5:05 PM
Posted by SpotSell on 2/13/2013 4:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by doubletruck on 2/10/2013 12:37:00 PM (view original):

Yes sir, I do.  A select committee of scholars from the Society of American Baseball Research.
Oh, dear god no!
2/13/2013 6:25 PM
You need a mix. Writers, executives and stat nerds. That would also create more ballots, which means 4-5 guys sending in blank protest ballots would have less power to screw with the percentages.
2/13/2013 7:28 PM
A formula, from SABR, would be great to determine HOFers.

******* nerds.
2/13/2013 10:52 PM
"All I need to know can be found in a boxscore.  **** watching a game!!!"
2/13/2013 10:52 PM
I'm not really arguing for SABR taking over the HOF voting, but it's a pretty common misconception that SABR is just about number crunching. Statistics is just one branch of it, but it's the part people most associate it with due to Bill James and sabermetrics.
2/14/2013 8:31 AM
Yes, I'm aware that they have several research committees.    But, at the end of the day, I think we know SABR would develop a formula to "prove" their choices are worthy. 

It pains me to even vaguely agree with jtpops but there should be a mix.    I'd probably do it differently with LESS ballots, maybe 10, with players being chosen by groups.  The groups choices would form a single ballot.   Fans, current players, past players, writers, radio, TV, HOFers, stat nerds(like SABR) and couple more "worthy" groups.   Let each nominate 5-10 and admit anyone who's on 7 ballots.    If only one current player votes, his ballot is pretty damn important as it's 10% of the final ballot.  But that won't happen. 
2/14/2013 9:40 AM
123 Next ▸
Sign petition to strip BBWAA of HOF voting rights! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.