ROIDS Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 1/30/2013 1:52:00 PM (view original):
As I mentioned earlier, I think the Yankees have absolutely zero interest in ever seeing ARod on the field wearing a Yankee uniform ever again.

And if I were ARod, I would question whether I would want to subject myself to the public reaction, which you know is going to be very ugly, if I ever stepped on the field at Yankee Stadium while wearing pinstripes again.
I don't disagree with any of that, but he's not going to walk away from the deal, and I'm sure the Yankees already know they aren't getting the deal voided.

Since you've already said you don't think anything comes of this, I'm not sure what we're still discussing.
1/30/2013 1:54 PM
They could trade him at a very deep discount and eat most of the contract.  Or they could release him and eat the entire contract.
1/30/2013 2:00 PM

Right, but those options have always been on the table.  My only point was that I agree with bad_luck that the reports about them exploring voiding the contract are ultimately just PR smoke.

1/30/2013 2:09 PM
I'll disagree.  I think they're seriously exploring it.  They may ultimately determine that it may be a losing effort and decide not to pursue it.  That's probably the most likely outcome.

But to say that it's just "PR smoke" implies that they're basically doing a half-hearted "going through the motions" exploration of the issue.

Given the fact that ARod has become a very expensive liability, has alienated most Yankee fans, and also that the Steinbrenner's have mandated slashing payroll, a serious exploration of a void makes perfect sense in many ways.  Even if it never comes close to fruition.
1/30/2013 2:20 PM
I think the fact that it's in the media this quickly is the PR smoke.
1/30/2013 2:31 PM
The Yankees just released a statement. They aren't going to try to void the contract.
1/30/2013 2:35 PM
Someone in the media asks a Yankee official if they Yankees would like to void ARods contract if they could find a reason to. Official says yes. Media makes a big deal and here's your lead story for the day.
1/30/2013 2:48 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/30/2013 2:35:00 PM (view original):
The Yankees just released a statement. They aren't going to try to void the contract.
You bastard.
1/30/2013 3:00 PM
The moment it went to YouTube, I knew.
1/30/2013 3:04 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist.
1/30/2013 4:22 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/30/2013 8:56:00 AM (view original):
Uh, if he retires, he voids the deal.
The O's still had to pay Albert Belle after his hip injury forced him to call it quits.
1/30/2013 5:36 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/30/2013 5:36:00 PM (view original):
The O's still had to pay Albert Belle after his hip injury forced him to call it quits.
I believe that was so they could collect insurance.  Which isn't out of the realm of possibility for A-Rod.   

Doctor says he can't play.   Team collects insurance.   A-Rod collects salary.   Yanks/A-Rod no longer have to speak to one another.

A player, I forget who, retired from KC a couple of seasons ago.   Saved the team 11m.   He was applauded for not "playing out the string".

Do you really think a player can sign a deal, say "You know what?  I'm retiring" and the team would have to pay him?
1/30/2013 5:42 PM
They kept him on the 40 as part of the clause in his insurance contract. The O's weren't paying the salary, the insurance company was.
1/30/2013 5:45 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/30/2013 5:42:00 PM (view original):
I believe that was so they could collect insurance.  Which isn't out of the realm of possibility for A-Rod.   

Doctor says he can't play.   Team collects insurance.   A-Rod collects salary.   Yanks/A-Rod no longer have to speak to one another.

A player, I forget who, retired from KC a couple of seasons ago.   Saved the team 11m.   He was applauded for not "playing out the string".

Do you really think a player can sign a deal, say "You know what?  I'm retiring" and the team would have to pay him?
It was Gil Meche.
1/30/2013 5:46 PM
◂ Prev 12345
ROIDS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.