How do the Cardinals do it? Topic

I recently saw a report that says the Cardinals have the most talent in their minor league system of all teams currently. That to go along with a pretty good ML squad. I knew they had some talented guys in the minors, but I hadn't realized it had gotten to that point. So how do they do it? What are they doing that the other franchises aren't?

Do they just have super awesome scouts?

Super awesome mL coaches?

Super awesome GM moves?

Super awesome dumb luck?
3/19/2013 11:29 PM
WHY DIDN'T BOOGERSNOT JUST CREATE A POLL?

Votes: 16
(Last vote received: 4/11/2013 5:56 PM)
3/20/2013 6:35 AM
Jeff Luhnow
3/20/2013 9:19 AM
I think the obvious reason you don't create a poll is there is no dialog, although from the looks of things there isn't going to be any anyway. Shame. Seems easily the most interesting question brought to this forum in a while, and one I'd love to have an answer for.
3/21/2013 11:54 AM
CLOSED
3/21/2013 12:13 PM
It's obviously scouting and luck.   You can't polish turds so you have to have good scouting.  Scouting that projects what an 18 y/o will be when he's 23.   Luck because, while projecting that, you can't predict a freak injury or just an injury from simple mechanical breakdown.    Even deeper, you can't predict mental dumbassery like Josh Hamilton or Brien Taylor.

You didn't get much dialogue, IMO, because everyone knows this and we figured you were just looking to pound your Redbird chest.

Does this help?
3/21/2013 1:59 PM

Some. If my goal was to pound my redbird chest I could have done that any time in the last 5 yrs since I've been on this site. Plenty of opportunities. Not sure why I'd pick this moment to gloat on the forum. No, I'm genuinly intrigued and find it odd that no one else is. Perhaps their good fortune is all luck, but man thats a ton of luck. They never have high draft picks. Their GM is maybe slightly above average. Even if they had a team of the best coaches, it surely wouldn't be a much better team than average. I could conceive of a scenario where a franchise had a team of scouts who were significantly better than the average, but I find it also unlikely. I guess that leaves luck, but the sheer quantity of luck it takes to assemble both a perennial contender and the #1 farm system seems bizarre. If thats all it is so be it. Just thought maybe someone smarter than me might have some insight... 

3/21/2013 3:36 PM (edited)
I just told you it was scouting and luck.   I'll repeat it for you and use smaller words I guess.    Scouts are looking at an unfinished product and have to figure out what it will be in 3-5 years.   They have to hope that the unfinished product stays on point and doesn't enjoy drugs more than baseball.   Or that it doesn't get in a bar fight to help his cousin.   A lot of things can go wrong along the way. 

Figuring out if a player can be a BL player is the scouting part.
Hitting speed bumps, or avoiding them altogether, instead of road blocks is the luck part.

Google the "overall #1 picks in MLB"     All of them were/are extremely talented.   Some had injuries, some had other issues, some just weren't capable of making the transistion.    The Cards have done well with avoiding those that weren't capable of improving to the point of MLB players.   Plus they didn't mind taking a 'roidfreak in Pujols. 
3/21/2013 3:51 PM
Branch Rickey.

Duh.
3/21/2013 3:55 PM
WHITEY HERZOG!!!!!
3/21/2013 4:01 PM
Posted by boogerlips on 3/21/2013 3:36:00 PM (view original):

Some. If my goal was to pound my redbird chest I could have done that any time in the last 5 yrs since I've been on this site. Plenty of opportunities. Not sure why I'd pick this moment to gloat on the forum. No, I'm genuinly intrigued and find it odd that no one else is. Perhaps their good fortune is all luck, but man thats a ton of luck. They never have high draft picks. Their GM is maybe slightly above average. Even if they had a team of the best coaches, it surely wouldn't be a much better team than average. I could conceive of a scenario where a franchise had a team of scouts who were significantly better than the average, but I find it also unlikely. I guess that leaves luck, but the sheer quantity of luck it takes to assemble both a perennial contender and the #1 farm system seems bizarre. If thats all it is so be it. Just thought maybe someone smarter than me might have some insight... 

If it WEREN'T your goal to pound your Redbird chest you'd spend a lot more time asking how the Rays have continued to consistently have a top 3 farm system year-in and year-out in spite of the fact that they have been winning for 5 years now and thus drafting late and have been continuing to let the vast majority of their talented players go after the 6 "cheap" years if not sooner, requiring a constant chain of promotions.  The mere fact that you would look at franchise rankings and it would be the Cardinals that stand out to you, and not Tampa Bay, makes you a huge homer.
3/21/2013 11:00 PM
As a Cardinals fan, I pay a lot more attention to the Cardinals than any other team. Thats definitely true. Seems pretty normal to me. Not sure what that has to do with pounding one's chest. If I noticed something negative about their franchise that I didn't also notice about say Tampa Bay, would I be guilty of chest pounding? Seems to me the problem here is a dead forum, and the fact that an interesting topic was posted for once has sent quite a shock into everyone's system. I understand.

We could to try to start a thread about Tampa if you want and I'll try to participate, but based on the results here I'm not sure it will be very fruitful.
3/22/2013 3:44 AM
Maybe everyone but you doesn't think this is all that interesting of a topic...
3/22/2013 4:59 AM
That seems to be the case.  
3/22/2013 8:44 AM
Posted by antoncresten on 3/21/2013 12:13:00 PM (view original):
CLOSED
FER RETAHD REPAIRS!!!
3/22/2013 9:03 AM
12 Next ▸
How do the Cardinals do it? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.