Manny Machado Topic

What about that play required "incredible awareness"?

And, FWIW, it was an error if he doesn't throw him out.
7/7/2013 9:22 PM
What are you smoking to make you think that would have been an error? Once again, you're talking like he was standing still and booted a routine grounder. That's not a play that takes ordinary effort for the average third baseman.
7/7/2013 11:29 PM
Thats an error all the way.
7/7/2013 11:34 PM
I don't think it's clear one way or the other. He's only taking a few steps to his right but it's a tough one-hopper. It certainly isn't a routine play.
7/8/2013 12:58 AM
NO way that's an error.  That was a tricky play and a helluva throw.  Kid is a stud..Orioles are doing some great things, with a manager that I've always liked.  Too bad about Bundy.
7/8/2013 1:02 AM
It wasn't routine but you'd expect a BL player to field the ball.   He took two steps to his right(which indicates it wasn't smoked) and booted it.    That said, being in NY, I imagine the scorekeeper would give Cruz a hit.    I wouldn't have.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1696329-orioles-vs-yankees-video-watch-manny-machados-unreal-throw-vs-new-york

Nonetheless, I still don't know how "incredible awareness" comes into play.
7/8/2013 8:24 AM
I'll agree with Mike, it was a great throw, but there was no "incredible awareness" involved. It was also a boot job and he should have caught the ball. I mean, it wasn't really that difficult a play and I think that's an error if it just rolls off into foul territory. The throw was spectacular though.
7/8/2013 4:39 PM
It's awareness in the sense of him booting it and still have the presence of mind to grab the ball and try to throw the guy out. Most guys probably just pick it up, kick themselves in the ***, and throw it back to the pitcher.

And I don't really trust Mike's baseball judgment all that much after the whole "Mo's cutter breaks 2 feet" saga
7/8/2013 7:00 PM
Wait you are giving him credit because he didnt sulk? Thats not awarness
7/8/2013 7:04 PM
Posted by kneeneighbor on 7/8/2013 7:04:00 PM (view original):
Wait you are giving him credit because he didnt sulk? Thats not awarness
No - I'm saying most guys would have just given up on the play after booting it into foul territory.
7/8/2013 7:26 PM
I mean...the ball was at his feet. I'd give him credit for being able to barehand his ball after he muffed it and the throw was spectacular. But I don't think most guys stop trying when the ball is at their feet.
7/8/2013 8:13 PM
jtpops said something stupid and won't back away.  Weird.  

Oh, wait, that's his calling card.
7/8/2013 8:52 PM
How did I say something stupid? How many short stops do you see boot a ball and then just pick it up and put it in their back pocket? I don't think it's stupid to say a third baseman who boots the ball about as far from 1B as it can get would just pick it up and not risk the throw.
7/8/2013 10:43 PM
"incredible awareness"    "defensive play of the year"

A)  He kicked a ball that BL players should field cleanly.   He picked it up and made a fantastic throw.   He was not incredibly aware of anything other than a man was running to first.   Which is what they do when they hit the ball.

B)  He kicked a ball that BL players should field cleanly.   He picked it up and made a fantastic throw.   The fantastic throw was made because he kicked a ball that BL players should field cleanly.   His failure created a play.

7/9/2013 8:30 AM
Well, in fairness to JT on the "defensive play of the year", it's currently the reigning ESPN webgem of the year, so he's got some company on that one.   The throw is unreal, but I agree the fact that he kicked the ball first diminishes it.
7/9/2013 8:51 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Manny Machado Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.