TINO MARTINEZ---ABUSER? Topic

Management can't touch Union members. 
7/29/2013 2:12 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bad_luck on 7/29/2013 2:02:00 PM (view original):
Your coach was an *******.
Maybe.  But 12 year olds didn't go crying to mommy, management or media because of it.   That's because the Pussification of America hadn't started in the mid 70s.
7/29/2013 2:20 PM
Posted by antoncresten on 7/29/2013 2:13:00 PM (view original):
YER BASEBALL COACH INSPIRED YE TO BE A TRUCKING MAGNATE?
He inspired me to do two things:

1.  **** with our firstbaseman to **** him off
2.  Field grounders and make good throws.

Here's another gem.   We're practicing and the batter hits the ball up the middle.  I'm stretched out, thinking I might have a shot at it.   Ball hits the bag and deflects directly into my nuts.   I go down like I've been shot.   Coach takes about a month to get out there and finally asks "What the hell happened to you?"   "The ball hit me in the nuts, coach."    "Well, ****, use your goddam glove to catch it next time.   Joe, take over at short for a couple of batters while Mike tends to his nuts" and walks away.
7/29/2013 2:24 PM
If you're a hitting coach, are "verbally abusive," and one of the results of your work is good hitting by your players, few people care.  But his team also can't hit.  It isn't because of Tino (his team sucks) but being an ******* to your hitters + lack of results = get out.
7/29/2013 2:34 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/29/2013 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Here's a story from when I was 12-13.  Our coach was a yeller.  And, despite coaching 12-13 year olds, he'd drop the occassional F-bomb.  He was in a pissy mood one practice so we're quiet as hell while taking infield.   Our 1B bobbled a throw.   He mildly went off on him "Goddammit.   Everyone on the team is trying to help you.  Just catch the damn ball."    Of course, me, the 2B and 3B thought that was mildly funny.   So we went about handcuffing our 1B on every throw, nothing in the chest but still catchable so we wouldn't get yelled at.   So he starts to really struggle over there.   Finally our coach had enough.   Paraphrasing "MOTHERFUCK!!  ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CATCH THE ******* BALL AND KEEP ONE FOOT ON THE BAG!!  FIRSTBASE IS THE EASIEST ******* POSITION ON THE FIELD TO PLAY!!!  CATCH THE ******* BALL, THROW IT 12 FEET TO THE PITCHER, TAKE YOUR POSITION AND WAIT FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO THROW YOU THE GODDAM BALL AGAIN!!!  GODDAMMIT, I'M ABOUT THE ******* THROW UP WATCHING YOU OVER THERE!! EVERYONE IS HELPING YOU AND YOU CAN'T GET IT RIGHT!!  GET THE **** OFF MY FIELD AND DON'T EVEN ******* THINK ABOUT SITTING ON MY BENCH!!!  GO SIT IN THE GODDAM BLEACHERS UNTIL PRACTICE IS OVER!!! ****!!!"

Also, this is too much for a 12 year old.  If I'm this kids father I'd at best giving him a piece of my mind, and at worst, beating the **** out of him.
7/29/2013 2:36 PM
It was a different time.  Of course it would be unacceptable on many levels now.  Not so much then.

Which was kind of my point.   Pussification of America.  Everybody gets a participation trophy.
7/29/2013 2:39 PM
Yea, I feel it should land somewhere in between.  T-ball kids not keeping score ****** me off.  No, everybody DOESN'T WIN.
7/29/2013 2:43 PM
Actually, the Pussification of America had begun back then.    We had a B-league that was made up of players who weren't good enough to make a team.   Before that, if you weren't good enough, you didn't get to play.
7/29/2013 2:49 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/29/2013 2:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by antoncresten on 7/29/2013 2:13:00 PM (view original):
YER BASEBALL COACH INSPIRED YE TO BE A TRUCKING MAGNATE?
He inspired me to do two things:

1.  **** with our firstbaseman to **** him off
2.  Field grounders and make good throws.

Here's another gem.   We're practicing and the batter hits the ball up the middle.  I'm stretched out, thinking I might have a shot at it.   Ball hits the bag and deflects directly into my nuts.   I go down like I've been shot.   Coach takes about a month to get out there and finally asks "What the hell happened to you?"   "The ball hit me in the nuts, coach."    "Well, ****, use your goddam glove to catch it next time.   Joe, take over at short for a couple of batters while Mike tends to his nuts" and walks away.
YGWYD for not wearing a cup.
7/29/2013 3:00 PM
7/29/2013 3:29 PM
Posted by edsortails on 7/28/2013 8:21:00 PM (view original):
found out what a giant douchebag he is when he was with the Cardinals.....I can't stand this guy

If Tino was teaching them to hit like he did in St Louis then they should be hitting weak grounders to 2B 9 out of 10 AB's.  I agree that American society has gone too far with coddling kids (I have a spoiled kid myself), but coaches/bosses at any level who yell/bully all the time usually lose effectiveness pretty quickly.  Also, people respond differently to coaching styles, some people respond to an a#$ kicking while others will either shut down or want to kick the coaches butt so badly they won't be any good.

7/30/2013 6:07 PM
Agreed. You need to pick your spots. If you're dealing with "employees", especially young and inexperienced ones, you flipping out non-stop is likely to stress them out and hurt their performance. And that's not pussification - these guys just haven't learned yet. If Albert Pujols is over at first dropping balls all day, I might expect Scioscia to get a little ******.
7/30/2013 9:56 PM
Martinez' story is he yelled at them because they wouldn't pick up baseballs during soft-toss drills.
7/31/2013 6:41 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/30/2013 9:56:00 PM (view original):
Agreed. You need to pick your spots. If you're dealing with "employees", especially young and inexperienced ones, you flipping out non-stop is likely to stress them out and hurt their performance. And that's not pussification - these guys just haven't learned yet. If Albert Pujols is over at first dropping balls all day, I might expect Scioscia to get a little ******.
Actually, it is pussification.   These guys have been the best player on their team their entire lives.   They've been coddled, told they're great and treated differently.   A little "tough love" throws them into a hissy.   Because they've never dealt with someone yelling at them.
7/31/2013 6:59 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
TINO MARTINEZ---ABUSER? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.