The 2nd Wild Card Topic

There wasn't a big offer because he made it very clear that Lee wouldn't be available...

From where I stand, the only other guy on that team with remotely the value Lee has in trade is Hamels, and he's not pitching well enough this year to command the same price.  He's also young enough and under contract for long enough to be worth at least considering keeping around through a rebuild as a product of their own system and veteran of the team, although his personal feelings about pitching for losing teams would carry a lot of weight with me if I were the one making those decisions...
8/4/2013 7:14 PM
I'm not really sure what you were reading - that may have been true through mid-July but once they dumped all those games after the All-Star break they were definitely in discussions about him, but no one was going to take most/all of his contract and give top prospects in return.  It did come out right before the deadline that they weren't dealing him, but that was after they kicked the tires.   And since there's no rush to deal him, why force it?  Since there was no one desperate to trade for him now, his value doesn't go down significantly in the offseason - he's got two more guaranteed years and a club option for a 3rd.

Of course none of the other guys but Hamels have that kind of value, but they had several guys who are going to be free agents, who likely won't be back, and could be potentially useful to a contender, so I'm not sure why you hang on to them.  You're not expecting a windfall for any of them, but maybe you hit a jackpot.

8/4/2013 8:23 PM
I wouldn't pay Young's contract, much less give up a player for him.  He still has a small outside chance of playing his way into being worth a comp pick if they make a qualifying offer, so that's probably a better return than anything they could have pulled in trade.  By far.  Michael Young that is.  Nobody would trade anything for Delmon Young.

I guess the other guy you're likely referring to is Ruiz.  I can see that one, but I would guess they want to extend him in the offseason.  There isn't really a good in-house replacement, and he's having his worst year in a long time right now, making his trade value negligible relative to his potential value to the team, even into his upper 30s.

The one guy I would have been looking to trade is Mike Adams.  Not a free agent in 2014, but it's not like the team is terribly likely to compete next year either...
8/5/2013 3:24 PM
So now the Rangers don't figure with Nelson Cruz out, and Jhonny Peralta is out. so that mixes things up a bit. The Rangers don't have a great chance anymore(in my opinion). NOTE this only is right if the Rangers drop off.
Here are the 4 teams who most loved these suspensions...
1.Royals- this was a double good thing for the Royals. Texas hurts so they get a spot up in the wild card race, and leader Detroit loses a key component for 50 games.
2.Indians- another AL Central team benifits greatly. They also have a better chance to gain on Detroit and they lose one immediate challenge in the wild card.
3.A's-  This makes them a lock for the playoffs. 'nuff said.
4.Orioles- They were battling with the Rangers for 3rd in the WC. Now they have one team to pass. 
8/5/2013 4:15 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 8/5/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):
I wouldn't pay Young's contract, much less give up a player for him.  He still has a small outside chance of playing his way into being worth a comp pick if they make a qualifying offer, so that's probably a better return than anything they could have pulled in trade.  By far.  Michael Young that is.  Nobody would trade anything for Delmon Young.

I guess the other guy you're likely referring to is Ruiz.  I can see that one, but I would guess they want to extend him in the offseason.  There isn't really a good in-house replacement, and he's having his worst year in a long time right now, making his trade value negligible relative to his potential value to the team, even into his upper 30s.

The one guy I would have been looking to trade is Mike Adams.  Not a free agent in 2014, but it's not like the team is terribly likely to compete next year either...
Texas is paying most of Young's contract, Phillies were only paying 6 million to begin with, so he would have been less than 2 million to finish up.   Regarding a qualifying offer, that was over 13 million last year and I don't see it being any different this year.   He's about to turn 37, you think he wouldn't immediately sign that if they gave it?  They aren't getting any compensation for him.

As much as it hurts me to say it, I think they should have traded Utley rather than trying to re-up him.  You finally got a good season out of his knees, banking on that happening again doesn't seem like the best idea, and it's not like they are likely to contend while he's still useful anyhow.

8/5/2013 4:31 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 8/4/2013 12:10:00 PM (view original):
I'm also in favour if the 2nd WC, but I can see how it can be bad for baseball. There are teams that realistically have no shot at the postseason, but at the trade deadline, they'll stand pat and talk themselves into having a chance because of the second WC. As a result, they miss a chance to move someone and get rebuilding talent back in return. Case in point - Seattle and Philly this season.
Who should have Seattle moved?  Maybe Morse, maybe Ibanez....besides that, I'm not sure.  I'd like to see them resign Morales.
8/5/2013 9:03 PM

Texas has a chance to run and hide with their upcoming schedule.

8/6/2013 9:38 AM
Posted by jonas1102 on 8/6/2013 9:38:00 AM (view original):

Texas has a chance to run and hide with their upcoming schedule.

They can run, but they can't hide!
8/6/2013 3:00 PM
I don't think you'd get enough for Utley to be worth the amount it would **** off the fans to move him.
8/6/2013 10:38 PM
Boston would have taken on most of Lee's contract and given up a couple of prospects, but the Phillies would not stop requiring THE prospect and he is a non starter topic...
8/7/2013 12:07 AM
Philly should have sold half they're players, at least. They should have completely rebuilded. So many players could go to Contenders. Philly gets key players in the rebuilding process. Win-Win. The Phillies blew it....
8/7/2013 10:01 AM
Lee, Hamels, Utley, Papelbon, Ruiz, Young, Brown, M. Young, D. Young. Pick any 6 out of these 9 players and you have it.
8/7/2013 10:09 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Indeed, that's a brilliant start to a rebuild - a 25 year old cheap player who is in the midst of a breakout year.  And who is the 3rd Young?

Lee and Papelbon (and Hamels, though it's not happening) can still be traded this offseason if they want to do so, D. Young is worthless as a trade piece as previously discussed.  Which leaves the 3 pieces I was originally looking at:  M. Young, Ruiz, and Utley.
8/7/2013 10:16 AM
Posted by edsortails on 8/7/2013 12:07:00 AM (view original):
Boston would have taken on most of Lee's contract and given up a couple of prospects, but the Phillies would not stop requiring THE prospect and he is a non starter topic...
Were these other prospects real prospects, or the kind that Boston fans typically think other teams should give up premium talent for?
8/7/2013 10:23 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
The 2nd Wild Card Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.