WAR question Topic

Posted by burnsy483 on 8/14/2013 1:09:00 PM (view original):
I would say he was likely a great hitter for a month.

Did Trout play GG quality for a year defensively, and is playing average now?
Sure, why not?

I remember seeing tons of home run robbing catches and web gems from him last year. I definitely haven't seen as many this year. Maybe the added muscle this year reduced his range a little. Maybe he got lucky last year. Maybe he's been unlucky this year.
8/14/2013 1:20 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/14/2013 1:20:00 PM (view original):

Sure, why not?

I remember seeing tons of home run robbing catches and web gems from him last year. I definitely haven't seen as many this year. Maybe the added muscle this year reduced his range a little. Maybe he got lucky last year. Maybe he's been unlucky this year.
This ain't the 1st time that 3 "maybe's" have appeared in
the same paragraph, from the keyboard of opinions from
the UN-qualified "poster"...

Maybe this, maybe that, maybe 'whatever'...

Being a rodeo-clown is 1 thing, but in these Forum's here,
it doesn't work too well... What makes such opinions even
more UN-qualified for any merit, is that being a stat-junkie,
staring @ electronic numbers, ONLY qualifies you for that...

Being @ a REAL pro-baseball stadium, where people play
the game, gives the witness FAR MORE credibility & ''skill''
@ evaluating a player, period... Real scouts... Real travel...

Mr. Trout has a 'L-O-N-G' way to go, before he ever erases
any memories of Jim Edmonds in an Angel uniform... Ask
the fans who attend'd his games... Not the nerds who type
"Roberto Clemente Who?"...

NONE of your numbers has the deep descriptive powers to
truly & accurately portray a baseball player... They're skew'd
& twist'd to make yet another 'M-A-Y-B-E' pointless point...

No point wishing bad luck, good luck, either... Oxymoronic...
8/14/2013 2:52 PM (edited)
Posted by bad_luck on 8/14/2013 1:20:00 PM (view original):

Sure, why not?

Maybe the stat kinda sucks.

Also, I looked up Trout again, and he gained 3 "points" in the last week.  Ha ok.
8/15/2013 9:42 AM
I think you nailed it.  It's an imperfect stat.  Most are but this one hasn't stood the "test of time".    IOW, we know a .300 hitter is a .300 hitter even if he bats .243 one season.    With the wild flucuations with Trout, we don't know.   We do know that he was moved to LF/RF late in games.  Maybe Scosia doesn't know **** or maybe he knows that Trout has a flair for the dramatic but is a league average CF.
8/15/2013 1:22 PM
What does 3 points mean?  0.3?

8/15/2013 3:41 PM
No. About 3.0.  It was negative and now it's 2.2.  Actually, they're just finishing a game so now maybe it's negative again.
8/15/2013 4:31 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/15/2013 1:22:00 PM (view original):
I think you nailed it.  It's an imperfect stat.  Most are but this one hasn't stood the "test of time".    IOW, we know a .300 hitter is a .300 hitter even if he bats .243 one season.    With the wild flucuations with Trout, we don't know.   We do know that he was moved to LF/RF late in games.  Maybe Scosia doesn't know **** or maybe he knows that Trout has a flair for the dramatic but is a league average CF.
Or maybe the one guy who played better center field than Trout also happened to be on his team.
8/15/2013 6:19 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/15/2013 4:33:00 PM (view original):
No. About 3.0.  It was negative and now it's 2.2.  Actually, they're just finishing a game so now maybe it's negative again.
That's not three wins. That's 3 defensive runs. Can an outfielder save or cost his team multiple runs in a handful of games?
8/15/2013 6:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/15/2013 1:22:00 PM (view original):
Also, just a league average CF would be significantly more valuable in the field than Miguel Cabrera at 3rd.
8/15/2013 6:25 PM
Significantly?   Based on DWAR for Cabrera and a league average CF?
8/15/2013 7:04 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/15/2013 6:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/15/2013 4:33:00 PM (view original):
That's not three wins. That's 3 defensive runs. Can an outfielder save or cost his team multiple runs in a handful of games?
I never said it was 3 wins.

Sure.  I just doubt that Trout saved his team 3 more runs than the average center fielder over the last few games.  Especially since overall he was less than average for the entire season.
8/15/2013 11:05 PM
It's not 3 runs more than an average CF, either.  Replacement level is below average.  And you have to know that any player, great or poor, can (and will) perform well below or above their "norm" for periods of time.
8/15/2013 11:32 PM
From what I understand, 0 is average for the league.
8/16/2013 12:30 AM
I think it is above average. But I don't think it's unlikely that a guy who was gold glove caliber last year could be very good over a short period this year.

OMG! Miguel Cabrera hit .500/.600/800 over three games. BA/OBP/SLG suck!!!
8/16/2013 9:13 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/16/2013 9:13:00 AM (view original):
I think it is above average. But I don't think it's unlikely that a guy who was gold glove caliber last year could be very good over a short period this year.

OMG! Miguel Cabrera hit .500/.600/800 over three games. BA/OBP/SLG suck!!!
"Thus, a SS with a UZR of zero is exactly average as compared to a SS in the same year and in the same league."  Understand more about UZR before you rave about its merits.

I think it's unlikely that a guy who was gold glove quality last year is suddenly average this year.

If true, yes, he got 5 hits in 10 atbats.  That's a fact.

Trout saved 3 runs from scoring over 3 games.....how?
8/16/2013 9:20 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...12 Next ▸
WAR question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.