Defensive Metrics Topic

Who's measuring velocity of a batted ball and is their instrument calibrated properly and/or daily?
9/5/2013 3:14 PM
Posted by The Taint on 9/5/2013 3:14:00 PM (view original):
Who's measuring velocity of a batted ball and is their instrument calibrated properly and/or daily?
mike brito. 24/7. but bad_luck is having difficulties with acquiring proprietary numbers. the dodger switchboard is not equipped for calls of his nature.

so, can we put mike britos numbers with the bis data, and not create something volatile, mr bad_luck bartender?
9/5/2013 3:19 PM
The more BL posts, the more I wish Bill James had never been born.
9/5/2013 3:30 PM
can u or kirk gibson or don mattingly, or joe torre guess that the next pitch will be a curveball? i still think that if guessing the next pitch had to be done with more valuable defensive metrics, that the result could end up with a another defensive metrics unsolvable puzzle.

u might try to place outfielders where curveball batters hit curveballs. but kirk gibson doesnt guess. don mattingly can hear vin scully in the background, and don mattingly will still not make a guess in that situation, and even joe torre knows that the pitcher, catcher, and coaches of the opposing team at bat, are the only ones on the field who will know what that next pitch is. then mike brito knows within less than a second, basically.

determining odds here? or what, a thread-closing ceremony without a whimper?. we brought kleenex. its okay. toilet paper is for other things 
9/5/2013 3:35 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/5/2013 3:30:00 PM (view original):
hey. we covered bill james in the first 3 class sessions of this semester-long course.

he got buried, then cremated, because we have no formula to abort early in the equations. bell curves dont ring so loudly when theres a magicians union that has patented newly developed documents which appear to have slight predictive value. the magicians claim credit for what u are about to see in the future. their claim, of course, is pending supreme court approval.

hey. from what u HAVE SEEN of the bis data, can u right-click and save any of them as proof there is no magic to value?
9/5/2013 3:49 PM (edited)
How does it feel to know that the sport you love has completely passed you by?
9/5/2013 3:47 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/5/2013 3:47:00 PM (view original):
Has it?    Oddly enough, when the Yanks pulled Hughes from their rotation, there was no mention of his FIP, WAR, ICU, DMC or DMV.    They simply said "He hasn't won a game since July 2nd."

My guess is a lot of people talk, and love, baseball without trying to put a number on every movement. 
9/5/2013 3:56 PM
hold on for a second. whos asking who?

has the earned run average of a pitcher passed u by? are sportswriers buying bis data? because the deal if off, is sportswriters get that bis data for free.

what's the going market price? is there a plan that involves buying 3 years of numbers? u know, if we dont dont agree that buying numbers for the next five years is more costly than only buying three years worth if bis data?

proprietary means the numbers have value, a price by which they can also be possessed by simple non-sportswriter types, right?
9/5/2013 3:57 PM
Not sure what you're talking about.  The game is still there, same as it always has been.

The only difference today is that in addition to the people who watch, understand and enjoy the game, you also have a handful of assclowns with calculators, making **** up and pretending that they are somehow "smarter" than everybody else.

Good for them and their cute little feelings of self-importance.
9/5/2013 4:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/5/2013 3:56:00 PM (view original):
Has it?    Oddly enough, when the Yanks pulled Hughes from their rotation, there was no mention of his FIP, WAR, ICU, DMC or DMV.    They simply said "He hasn't won a game since July 2nd."

My guess is a lot of people talk, and love, baseball without trying to put a number on every movement. 
If you think the Yankees are judging their pitchers based on just wins and losses, I'm sure you're mistaken. 

Also, you should see his Run-DMC stats this year...horrific.
9/5/2013 4:02 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 9/5/2013 4:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/5/2013 3:56:00 PM (view original):

If you think the Yankees are judging their pitchers based on just wins and losses, I'm sure you're mistaken. 

Also, you should see his Run-DMC stats this year...horrific.
I don't but that's what the talking heads mentioned.     I think the fact that he failed to get very many people out, not sure what stat is required to know that, is the reason he was removed from the rotation. 
9/5/2013 4:09 PM
ooops sorry. did not mean to intrude on the psychotherapy of a feeling that may have evolved here.

maybe when u are done, u could also type a word or two. its about my yucca plant. i think my yucca plant is feeling yucky.

anticipation is the art of design in a ketchup bottle. useless though, without gravity. this overwhelming limousine ride has merely delivered us to a psychologists office, or the price-check aisle for the bis data?

so, mr bad_luck chauffeur, where are we with the monetary cost of the bis data? can u patch us through to your supervisor?

dumb question in a place not known for customer service, i know. but a 24 hour wait, and none of us have fiiled-up on ketchup?
9/5/2013 4:13 PM (edited)
Posted by tecwrg on 9/5/2013 4:01:00 PM (view original):
Not sure what you're talking about.  The game is still there, same as it always has been.

The only difference today is that in addition to the people who watch, understand and enjoy the game, you also have a handful of assclowns with calculators, making **** up and pretending that they are somehow "smarter" than everybody else.

Good for them and their cute little feelings of self-importance.
Again, you're acting like the people who like baseball stats aren't the ones who watch and enjoy baseball. They are.
9/5/2013 4:43 PM
we cannot buy numbers from a guy who is a psychiatrist one moment, then becomes a movie director who determines a scene must be redone because people dont act right. please, your sales pitch is exhausting, & we have check-books ready to buy the numbers, but dust is instead falling on the open check-books.

is this the strategy? buying a late-model mercedes benz usually comes with tactics. the salesman disqualifies u from purchase if u ever ask the price, claiming that its unaffordable if the question of price even enters the equation. but, u can have it, if u never ask the price.

are bis data numbers to also be as valuable as a mercedes?

test drives are available still. how about those numbers? can u tell us anything other than proprietary?
9/5/2013 5:22 PM
on another runway, we can try another approach.

whiz kids at networks like espn and faux, finally show numbers that MAY, OR MAY NOT show that ratings can increase revenue and profit, if we let the national football league fans call all of the plays. so, now we know what happens after watching 4 full quarters of "blitz-every-play-every-down" football. tried once. move on. whats next?

keeping this thread focused, the prob with your numbers fails to place a dWAR number on the guy in the parking lot, when willie stargell hits a pitch out of dodger stadium. can u tell if willie hit it out, or if the pitcher gave it up, using defensive metrics to predict future events?

because that would have been nice to know, when willie stargell came to bat AGAIN, in the future after that first homer. turns out, there was another guy in the parking lot, without a dWAR rating, again. the second time willie hit one out of dodger stadium, again begs the question from defensive metrics, and how it determines if willie had the power to do it twice, or did the pitcher just give it up by tossing a meatball at him?

now, the guy in the parking lot, with no dWAR rating whatsoever, still had advantages, despite the fact that defensive metrics should have forseen this happening twice, according to the offensive equivalent. that guy in the parking lot, was inside of his car, listening to vin scully. he knew it was coming, he brought a far bigger glove, his car. with no dWAR rating, and only vin scully as his seeing-eye dog, he put his car in reverse. smart guy, listened to vinny, and the ball landed in that big mitts windshield.

what else can defensive metrics tell us about future baseball events, that may cause managers to move outfielders around?

the guess? the maybe? the what? stargell is gone, & sadly there will be no third time, now. sell us those numbers, before they become old, stale, and yesterdays numbers. hurry. how much?
9/5/2013 6:22 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16...23 Next ▸
Defensive Metrics Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.