Defensive Metrics Topic

Posted by lad_buck on 9/5/2013 6:22:00 PM (view original):
on another runway, we can try another approach.

whiz kids at networks like espn and faux, finally show numbers that MAY, OR MAY NOT show that ratings can increase revenue and profit, if we let the national football league fans call all of the plays. so, now we know what happens after watching 4 full quarters of "blitz-every-play-every-down" football. tried once. move on. whats next?

keeping this thread focused, the prob with your numbers fails to place a dWAR number on the guy in the parking lot, when willie stargell hits a pitch out of dodger stadium. can u tell if willie hit it out, or if the pitcher gave it up, using defensive metrics to predict future events?

because that would have been nice to know, when willie stargell came to bat AGAIN, in the future after that first homer. turns out, there was another guy in the parking lot, without a dWAR rating, again. the second time willie hit one out of dodger stadium, again begs the question from defensive metrics, and how it determines if willie had the power to do it twice, or did the pitcher just give it up by tossing a meatball at him?

now, the guy in the parking lot, with no dWAR rating whatsoever, still had advantages, despite the fact that defensive metrics should have forseen this happening twice, according to the offensive equivalent. that guy in the parking lot, was inside of his car, listening to vin scully. he knew it was coming, he brought a far bigger glove, his car. with no dWAR rating, and only vin scully as his seeing-eye dog, he put his car in reverse. smart guy, listened to vinny, and the ball landed in that big mitts windshield.

what else can defensive metrics tell us about future baseball events, that may cause managers to move outfielders around?

the guess? the maybe? the what? stargell is gone, & sadly there will be no third time, now. sell us those numbers, before they become old, stale, and yesterdays numbers. hurry. how much?
A
W
E
S
O
M
E

!!! !!!  !!!  --->>> Now, we will finally know whether defensive metrics work,
b'cuz they are defending against the pitch from the pitcher, or they're 4 a
defense against the batters bat... Whew !!!... Show me those numbers !!!

Seems a conflict of interest defending against a batters bat, when also in
reality, the batters offensive output is crucial to a defensive metric... This,
can only mean that all defensive outfielder adjustments are solely made
because of the pitch... Makes sense... So why can't we buy the BIS data,
and when ???... Where ???... How ???... --->>> --->>> --->>> WHY ???
9/5/2013 6:40 PM

lad_buck, at the risk of having you create a new screen name to heckle me (jack_mountain?) your posts would be more effective if you wrote in complete sentences and used a capital letter once in a while.  I agree with some of your points but it's difficult to read.  If you are trying to hide who you really are with that style I suppose it's working but it's irritating.

For those who completely disregard and badmouth sabermetrics and the new stats, let me know how the next flat earth meeting goes.  Most MLB teams are using them extensively, regardless of what ESPN and the rest of the media does.  Some of the stats are more effective than others, and they all need to be used in context.  Some people do use them too much or the wrong way to try to make a point and/or bore people to death so I understand the backlash.  However, you can still be a true baseball fan and love watching the game while still appreciating the new stuff.  It does not have to be an either/or thing but it's human nature to turn debates into just that.

9/5/2013 6:42 PM

Some people think it is an either/or thing.   

9/5/2013 7:43 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/5/2013 4:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 9/5/2013 4:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/5/2013 3:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 9/5/2013 3:30:00 PM (view original):
The more BL posts, the more I wish Bill James had never been born.
How does it feel to know that the sport you love has completely passed you by?
Not sure what you're talking about.  The game is still there, same as it always has been.

The only difference today is that in addition to the people who watch, understand and enjoy the game, you also have a handful of assclowns with calculators, making **** up and pretending that they are somehow "smarter" than everybody else.

Good for them and their cute little feelings of self-importance.
Again, you're acting like the people who like baseball stats aren't the ones who watch and enjoy baseball. They are.
And you act like people who don't worship at the Temple of WAR and FIP don't understand stats.   They do.
9/5/2013 7:44 PM
I worship at neither. WAR is a nice quick reference, but things need to be broken down beyond one number.
9/5/2013 8:10 PM
WAR tells me what I can see with "traditional" stats.     Trout and Cabrera had great years last season according to WAR.     No ****.

FIP tells me what I learned in Little League.    Wowser.
9/5/2013 8:38 PM
Um, ok. Congrats...?
9/5/2013 9:02 PM
Posted by mountainjack on 9/5/2013 6:42:00 PM (view original):

lad_buck, at the risk of having you create a new screen name to heckle me (jack_mountain?) your posts would be more effective if you wrote in complete sentences and used a capital letter once in a while.  I agree with some of your points but it's difficult to read.  If you are trying to hide who you really are with that style I suppose it's working but it's irritating.

For those who completely disregard and badmouth sabermetrics and the new stats, let me know how the next flat earth meeting goes.  Most MLB teams are using them extensively, regardless of what ESPN and the rest of the media does.  Some of the stats are more effective than others, and they all need to be used in context.  Some people do use them too much or the wrong way to try to make a point and/or bore people to death so I understand the backlash.  However, you can still be a true baseball fan and love watching the game while still appreciating the new stuff.  It does not have to be an either/or thing but it's human nature to turn debates into just that.

Serious implications... U witness heckling, & risk jack-mountain's appearance
as a part of what ???... Is there a modus operandi (M.O.), of repeated instances,
of this where U R here to help 'heckling" be more effective ???...

U've opened a door, but it implies that usernames are not the real issue that is
related to the topic of the thread...  What irritates U can be remedied, by buying
a discount fly-swatter... If sticks & stones break bones, then this thread ain't 4U,
as names ain't supposed 2 hurt U... R U a kindergarten graduate, or not ???...

Your numbers are a fad, come-&-go, just like the GWRBI... Eddie Murray, 4 the
short time that stat existed, was the king, as a switch-hitter... So what if the stat
proved the the whole nerd-nation wrong...

The designated runner, and MLB experimented, but could not sign Carl Lewis,
or any Willie May's Hay's types, & the nerds lost it totally, as far as any credibility
or ability to predict an event... Have a few more beers... The 5th inning is next...

Eye witnessed someone in that college class make an astute point... Same 1...
The very same bell curve that was the measure, & so necessary 2 the equation,
of Bill Jame's abstract stuff, because the bell curve was not meant as a 'predict'
tool... His equated predictions, are the death-knell of a mathematician...

The bell-curve works here in ALL games on this web-site, simplified 2 resemble
a dollar bill, lite as paper, & heavy as coin... Linear weights MUST stand-up 2 very
certain mathematical proving grounds of validation... 

Number fads... Crystal balls... The designated hitter was first brought to MLB, by
number nerds during the BlackSox scandal... A way 2 shave those overwhelming
odds when Ruth batted, & other teams could not counter... Number geeks, for 100
years, always trying 2 change baseball...

Seems it would be a different stage to perform on, if bad-luck wasn't self-flattered
as the poster-child and spokesperson on behalf of ******* WAR !!!... 
9/6/2013 12:05 AM (edited)
Even WiS makes no guarantees about what to expect with performance here...
No one @ all can predict such events...
9/5/2013 10:35 PM
What's the hold-up on what B.I.$ D/\T/\ costs to own ???... That
seems a realistic & fair question ??? ...Let the numbers into this
thread, to stand-up on their own, when used to justify... ( FAIR !!! )
9/5/2013 10:50 PM
One point of WAR is worth two points of FIP.

Or is it the other way 'round?

I'm so confuzzled.
9/5/2013 10:52 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/5/2013 10:14:00 PM (view original):
WAR, ************!!!!
100% certain that I've seen you bring up WAR in an argument.
9/5/2013 10:56 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/5/2013 10:52:00 PM (view original):
One point of WAR is worth two points of FIP.

Or is it the other way 'round?

I'm so confuzzled.
Then Babe Ruth would be what (?), if WAR is a double FIP, cut in half,
measuring him as 10% better than anyone in WAR, what pct% better
is Babe Ruth when reviewed as FIP ???... Is that really a shortcut that
is sound, & mathematically proven ???... Eye think knot... Know weigh.

The other guy is right, because these numbers are then taken by the
bad-luck statistician, & placed in any 1 of 5 to 7 categories that claim
MTrout has a 14.3% chance of being a GREAT defensive outfielder on
any given play... MTrout has a 14.3% chance of being a GOOD fielder,
& a 14.3% chance of being an above average fielder, any time, on any
batted ball that MTrout handles... 

But, it gets better, b'cuz MTrout has a 14.3% chance of being average,
as an outfielder on any given ball hit to his field... Then, MTrout is also
guaranteed of having a 14.3% chance of being below avg., & also has
a 14.3% chance @ falling into the dreaded 'iffy' category of ''defensive"
ability on any given play in the 1st inning, or the 9th inning...

Sadly, on EVERY possible play, MTrout has a 14.3% chance of totally
being 'stinky' whenever the ball is hit to him...

Wow... Again, kudos 2 those valuable translations of numbers that we
all should see... Wow... Evaluative increments of 14.3% ???... Hmmm. 
9/6/2013 12:43 AM (edited)
Maybe we can do a better job with the Bi$=DaTa stuff,
than U could possibly do, --->>> ya' think ???...

Whatcha' got 2 lose, huh ???...

Go ahead, U can 'middleman' us, it's kewl... If they cost
say, maybe $999.99 for 5 years worth, until 2018, -then,
U can tell me it's $1,150.00 instead...

Won't hold it against U... Gentleman, to gentleman...
9/6/2013 12:42 AM
Noticed earlier that U were a 'feeling' kind of guy... &, U fix also
the feelings of others, right ???...

Does that really work in a gunfight, 2 ???... Neil Young used it
best as a lyric, "...a kinder, & gentler machine gun..." so, like if
we are supposed 2 help U with equations, but U declare such
must be done w/ invisible numbers that are hidden in that Bi$
Data, NON-Pandora's Box stuff that blows the doors off of this
merry-go-round, then --->>>
.                                                 --->>>
.                                                           --->>>
.                                                                     --->>>
.                                                                               --->>>
.                                                                                         --->>>
.                                                                                                   --->>> then how do U think it makes me feel
.                                                                                                               when U don't share these things ???
.                                                                                                              ( ...U had a 14.3% chance of FINDING
.                                                                                                               the rest of my post here, just by pick'n
.                                                                                                              an arrow... So, that must mean U care )

Eye truly think that we live in a society of modern usernames
associated with 'Forum' visits, during bathroom visits... Yup...
That's exactly why this took 6 minutes, from start-2-finish, -&,
eye feel relieved... Cured now... Let's buy some numbers ???
9/6/2013 1:47 AM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16|17...23 Next ▸
Defensive Metrics Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.