$12m for Jetes Topic

They better hope Arod doesn't get his suspension lowered if they want to have any shot at getting under the payroll tax threshold.
11/1/2013 1:41 PM
huh, turns out the deal actually helps the yankees lower the amount of payroll that counts towards the tax this year. 
11/1/2013 1:58 PM
From Forbes - "If Jeter had declined the option he would have become a free agent and therefore the Yankees would have had to offer him a $14.1 million, one-year qualifying offer."
11/1/2013 2:08 PM
I could argue the Yankees should have played hardball and told Jeter "if you decline that option, we're moving on" but I get that they would have looked bad doing that when he called their bluff.  Although Jeter probably would have looked bad too when he didn't get an offer of what his option was in the first place after the Yankees moved on.
11/1/2013 2:12 PM
OK, nevermind.  The luxury tax looks at AAV of the contract.  Which is higher than the $12 million.  So, higher payroll, but less $ towards luxury tax count.
11/1/2013 2:15 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/1/2013 2:15:00 PM (view original):
OK, nevermind.  The luxury tax looks at AAV of the contract.  Which is higher than the $12 million.  So, higher payroll, but less $ towards luxury tax count.
Yep. Everything I read said Jeter would have taken the $9.5 million option and counted ~$15 million on the luxury tax calculation.
11/1/2013 2:26 PM (edited)
Ignoring the money for a second, this is probably the best deal for the Yankees from a payroll standpoint, but it's a horrible baseball move. Drew and Peralta would have been better options at SS.
11/1/2013 2:25 PM
I suppose you have a source that told you they'd love to play for an aging team that has little chance of post-season activity in the near future.  
11/1/2013 2:56 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/1/2013 2:25:00 PM (view original):
Ignoring the money for a second, this is probably the best deal for the Yankees from a payroll standpoint, but it's a horrible baseball move. Drew and Peralta would have been better options at SS.
Yankees were stuck here.  Had they done nothing, Jeter would have accepted the offer, and it would have hurt their roster for next year because of their insistence of being below the luxury tax cap.  Remember, it was a player option.  Jeter was a Yankee next year regardless.
11/1/2013 3:02 PM
OK now I'm reading that the Yankees are not saving money towards the cap.  They were afraid Jeter would decline option and did not want to go through what they went through last time.  Even though I don't think there was any chance Jeter declines it.
11/1/2013 3:50 PM

Not buying it.    Let's face it.    The people were on Jeter's side during the last negotiation.    "He's Jeter!!  Championships!!!  Pay him the money!!!  He's still productive!!!"

Now it's "Aw, c'mon.   9.5m for 17 AB last season.  Be glad you have a contract."

11/1/2013 3:56 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/1/2013 3:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/1/2013 2:25:00 PM (view original):
Yankees were stuck here.  Had they done nothing, Jeter would have accepted the offer, and it would have hurt their roster for next year because of their insistence of being below the luxury tax cap.  Remember, it was a player option.  Jeter was a Yankee next year regardless.
I agree. He was going to be on the roster either way. Unless they were (are) willing to release him. If they aren't going to be competitive, there's no point in cutting him. But if they think they are close to competing for a playoff spot, they should strongly consider finding a better option. Considering the fact that he only played 17 games in 2013, they will probably need another shortstop anyway.
11/1/2013 4:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/1/2013 2:56:00 PM (view original):
I suppose you have a source that told you they'd love to play for an aging team that has little chance of post-season activity in the near future.  
I think both Drew and Peralta will sign with the team that makes them the best offer. Neither one will be going back to their 2013 team (Bogaerts and Inglesias will start in Boston and Detroit). There's no reason they wouldn't consider going to the Yankees.
11/1/2013 4:18 PM
I think NY is not a "destination" franchise at this point in time.   So there's plenty of reason to not consider the Yankees. 
11/1/2013 4:23 PM
I also think being the guy "that followed Jeter" is a losing proposition.
11/1/2013 4:29 PM
12 Next ▸
$12m for Jetes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.