Cabrera won MVP Topic

Acknowledge the other argument. And counter the points someone else made, rather than repeating yourself and ignoring them.

Me: "some people see value as x."
You: "no, that's wrong."
11/19/2013 6:23 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/19/2013 6:23:00 PM (view original):
Acknowledge the other argument. And counter the points someone else made, rather than repeating yourself and ignoring them.

Me: x is a dumb way to do something
You: that's wrong
11/19/2013 6:25 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/19/2013 6:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/19/2013 6:18:00 PM (view original):
Because you're more qualified than them since you have a much better and more in-depth insight to the game due to your magical calculations?
So you're saying I can't have an opinion?
Not at all, you're certainly entitled to an opinion.

Just realize that your track record of being able to intelligently defend your opinions is pretty abysmal.  Which is why we mock you.
11/19/2013 7:10 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/19/2013 7:10:00 PM (view original):
Because you're more qualified than them since you have a much better and more in-depth insight to the game due to your magical calculations?

Just realize that your track record of being able to intelligently defend your opinions is pretty abysmal.  Which is why we mock you.
"We" in this case is you and mike. Considering how dumb you both are when it comes to things like baseball and basic economics, I'll gladdly accept your "mocking."
11/19/2013 7:26 PM
Wow BL likes sticking is foot in his mouth so much.  Entertaining to see how far it can go
11/19/2013 7:30 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/19/2013 7:26:00 PM (view original):

"We" in this case is you and mike. Considering how dumb you both are when it comes to things like baseball and basic economics, I'll gladdly accept your "mocking."
Are we "dumb" at baseball because we don't worship at the altar of "WAR, ************!!!"?
11/19/2013 7:52 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/19/2013 7:52:00 PM (view original):

Are we "dumb" at baseball because we don't worship at the altar of "WAR, ************!!!"?
Do I worship WAR?
11/19/2013 8:06 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/19/2013 6:25:00 PM (view original):

The funny thing is, is that I agree with you. You keep forgetting that. So i never said "thats wrong." You did, countless times, but I didnt.

My only point was that "value" can mean different things to different people. You argued, for a year, that that isn't true, that value has one definition. Pretty much by just saying "no, that's wrong."
11/19/2013 9:06 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/19/2013 8:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/19/2013 7:52:00 PM (view original):

Do I worship WAR?
Are you going to start pretending that you don't because we've been mocking you for a year about it?

OK, sure.  You don't worship WAR.  I stand corrected.
11/19/2013 9:13 PM
He did until page 24.    Then he trashed it because of moobies punching holes in it. 

11/19/2013 9:36 PM

POTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11/19/2013 9:36 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/19/2013 9:06:00 PM (view original):

The funny thing is, is that I agree with you. You keep forgetting that. So i never said "thats wrong." You did, countless times, but I didnt.

My only point was that "value" can mean different things to different people. You argued, for a year, that that isn't true, that value has one definition. Pretty much by just saying "no, that's wrong."
We agree, at least to an extent, that it's dumb to evaluate a player's individual performance based on the performance of his teammates. My entire point is that we shouldn't suffer stupidity. There's no reason to tie the MVP to the standings but it's done that way because that's the way it has always been done. It doesn't have to be that way but if no one ever says "that's the wrong way to do this," it will never change.

I'm not delusional. Not only is this extremely unimportant, I'm also not changing anyone's mind. But I find it interesting and it's fun pulling mike into an argument he claims to not have any interest in participating.
11/19/2013 10:20 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/18/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/18/2013 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/18/2013 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/18/2013 2:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/18/2013 2:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/18/2013 1:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/18/2013 1:48:00 PM (view original):
Yes, I'm sorry that you didn't assume that without additional information, that they were equal in games played and defensive ability.

The catcher is harder to replace, right?  But what if you had someone just as good behind him on the bench?  Is he still more valuable? 

Yes, the catcher is still more valuable.
You're saying that despite the catcher's inferior offensive numbers, he's more valuable than the 1st baseman, because he's harder to replace, even if there's a replacement for him that's just as good on the bench.  Yes?
Yes
How many times were you hit over the head with a hammer this morning?
a .300/.400/.500 catcher is essentially Buster Posey.

A .310/.410/.530 first baseman is...Freddie Freeman...Allen Craig...Prince Fielder.

Even if you had his clone sitting on the bench, Posey is more valuable.

He is not that valuable to his team because the team doesn't miss a beat if he gets hurt, leaves, gets traded, gets hit by a car, etc.  How valuable is he if someone else could do his job just as well?  If the Giants had 2 Buster Poseys on their team, they'd be trying to trade one.  Because the 2nd Buster Posey has more value to a different team.

actually if the Giants had two Buster Poseys they'd be playing one of them in lkeft field.
11/20/2013 1:54 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/19/2013 10:20:00 PM (view original):

We agree, at least to an extent, that it's dumb to evaluate a player's individual performance based on the performance of his teammates. My entire point is that we shouldn't suffer stupidity. There's no reason to tie the MVP to the standings but it's done that way because that's the way it has always been done. It doesn't have to be that way but if no one ever says "that's the wrong way to do this," it will never change.

I'm not delusional. Not only is this extremely unimportant, I'm also not changing anyone's mind. But I find it interesting and it's fun pulling mike into an argument he claims to not have any interest in participating.
nobody ever says that because ITS NOT THE WRONG WAY TO DO IT!!!   You may think its wrong.  I may think its wrong.  But those are just opinions.  Opinions can not be wrong.  You may not agree with them, but that does not make them wrong.
11/20/2013 1:58 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/19/2013 10:20:00 PM (view original):

You want the award to be a "best player" award. Not everyone has that view, because the award doesnt have a specific definition. I'm not sure why you find it so difficult to comprehend that some look at the award as "Most Valuable (to their respective team) Award." If you're asked to vote on an award, any award, and there are few, if any, guidelines, no 2 people are going to look at it the same way, and I would be understanding about it. You are not, which I find odd. Again, it's odd considering there are VERY loose guidelines.

And yes, you find it fun because you get a rise whenever you bring this up. It's troll-ish, to a point.

11/20/2013 7:01 AM
◂ Prev 1...23|24|25|26|27...35 Next ▸
Cabrera won MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.