Expansion era ballot Topic

Agreed.  At least they didn't let any of the players in.
12/9/2013 11:00 AM
I mean, Bobby Cox? Seriously? Ted Turner could have managed Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz to that many division titles.  Holy ****.
12/9/2013 11:07 AM
Of the three managers selected, Torre is the one that I feel least comfortable about.  Other than his 12 years with the Yankees, his record as manager was mediocre.
12/9/2013 11:30 AM
He's right with Cox, IMO.  Hard to ignore the rings, but yea, it helps when you have immense talent year after year.  His reputation before the Yankees got him was not good.

12/9/2013 12:29 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/9/2013 11:07:00 AM (view original):
I mean, Bobby Cox? Seriously? Ted Turner could have managed Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz to that many division titles.  Holy ****.
That is a silly argument and could be made for every winning manager. These managers had success because they managed great teams and should get credit for winning.
12/9/2013 2:43 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 12/9/2013 2:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/9/2013 11:07:00 AM (view original):
That is a silly argument and could be made for every winning manager. These managers had success because they managed great teams and should get credit for winning.
I'm ok with voting in Cox. I'm not ok with people thinking Cox was more worthy than Steinbrenner and Miller. It's nonsense.
12/9/2013 6:27 PM
I think Steinbrenner & Miller should both be in too!
12/9/2013 6:39 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/22/2013 6:07:00 PM (view original):
Nobody on this list had more of an impact on the game in the expansion era than Marvin Miller.  Something would be very wrong with this process if he's not selected.
^^^^^^^^^^^
This.
12/9/2013 6:59 PM
Rick Reilly with a very interesting perspective on the selections of LaRussa, Cox and Torre.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10116177/rick-reilly-torre-la-russa-cox
12/12/2013 1:23 PM
I don't like a lot of what Reilly says, and I don't like this either.  A couple things:

1) I've always pictured the manager in his office, or out on the field before games.  Not hanging around the clubhouse near the lockers with players.  If a manager says "I never saw him take steroids" I probably believe he didn't see it.  I would guess the majority of players aren't injecting themselves in the clubhouse itself.

2) If they were doing this in the clubhouse, and a manger did see it? What should he have done? EVERYONE turned a blind eye during the steroid era, so if we shouldn't vote in managers because they managed roiders, then we shouldn't vote in anyone during that time.  A lot of people knew.
12/12/2013 2:57 PM
Did Reilly cover baseball during that time period?   He didn't notice players were bigger and stronger?    **** him.    He never has anything interesting to say.
12/12/2013 3:26 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/12/2013 1:23:00 PM (view original):
Rick Reilly with a very interesting perspective on the selections of LaRussa, Cox and Torre.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10116177/rick-reilly-torre-la-russa-cox
Read the article and don't agree with it one bit. By his logic, nobody from the last 20 years deserves to be elected to the HOF, and like most other ego driven media members, is playing judge/jury/executioner with no evidence at all.
12/12/2013 3:29 PM
Reilly does write some good articles, but his problem is he doesn't report on issues that are there - he purposely looks for issues to get on his soapbox about. As burnsy said, I highly doubt guys are standing in the middle of the clubhouse, in front of the manager, shooting up. It's most likely done in the bathroom/shower, or at home. Few if any people are going to be that stupid. That's why no 'roider from that era has any concrete evidence against them, save for the testimony of 2-3 people who may or may not be reliable.
12/12/2013 3:46 PM

It's done at home.  The smart guys wouldn't even bring it to an unsecure location like a locker room.   It's an illegal drug that doesn't give you some immediate magical boost when taken.

12/12/2013 3:51 PM
◂ Prev 12
Expansion era ballot Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.