Cano a Mariner Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 12/6/2013 11:08:00 AM (view original):
Seattle = dirt-level dumb

Welcome to your newfound popularity in Japan.   And to being forgotten in the US.
This is funny... you say that as if the M's could possibly get any lower as a franchise.  As a lifelong fan, I can tell you that they can not.  This is a great signing for THEM, in spite of the fact that he is grossly overpaid for the player that he will be for most of the contract.
12/6/2013 1:45 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/6/2013 11:34:00 AM (view original):
No, it would not have been.    The back-end of that is going to be so horrible that no one will recall Ellsbury's deal in 7 years.
I have to agree with burnsy.  Cano will hold his value a lot longer than Ellsbury will.

While 10 and $240m is still MASSIVELY overpaying for a 31 year old, I would take the Cano deal over the Ellsbury deal all day long.
12/6/2013 1:46 PM
Posted by kcden on 12/6/2013 1:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/6/2013 11:08:00 AM (view original):
Seattle = dirt-level dumb

Welcome to your newfound popularity in Japan.   And to being forgotten in the US.
This is funny... you say that as if the M's could possibly get any lower as a franchise.  As a lifelong fan, I can tell you that they can not.  This is a great signing for THEM, in spite of the fact that he is grossly overpaid for the player that he will be for most of the contract.
I'm pretty sure that second sentence was directed at Cano, not the Seattle franchise...
12/6/2013 2:56 PM
It was. 
12/6/2013 3:12 PM
maybe seattle's hoping to be the next nationals turnaround team. nats sign werth to ridiculous contract, team goes out and builds what looks like a winner on paper.
12/6/2013 3:14 PM
Posted by mfahie on 12/6/2013 1:37:00 PM (view original):
This contract is pretty crazy, but I suppose from their perspective, there's no other way for them to get a superstar to Seattle.

As a Mets fan, in my head I'm glad they didn't spend huge money like that, but in my heart I'd love to bring in a major player like that!
They should try scouting, drafting, developing players better to get that -superstar-
12/6/2013 4:06 PM
Will Cano enter the Hall of Fame as a Yank or a M?
12/6/2013 4:25 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 12/6/2013 4:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mfahie on 12/6/2013 1:37:00 PM (view original):
This contract is pretty crazy, but I suppose from their perspective, there's no other way for them to get a superstar to Seattle.

As a Mets fan, in my head I'm glad they didn't spend huge money like that, but in my heart I'd love to bring in a major player like that!
They should try scouting, drafting, developing players better to get that -superstar-
They have been, they just suck at it (except Felix [IFA] and maybe Taijuan Walker)
12/6/2013 4:26 PM
Maybe Cano decided that he liked the idea of not playing baseball in October.
12/6/2013 4:52 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/6/2013 4:52:00 PM (view original):
Maybe Cano decided that he liked the idea of not playing baseball in October.
****, coming to Seattle, he could start his vacation in early July like the rest of the Mariners... that's kind of the point for them (the M's)
12/6/2013 5:09 PM
The funny part of this is how smart the Yankees actually look when you break down the numbers. Cano got 10 years and 240 million from Seattle. Instead of spending that 240 mil on ten years of Cano alone, of which he will SURELY be in decline for the last 3 or 4 years, the Yankees spent 238 million for 7 years of Ellsbury (153 mil) and 5 years of Brian McCann (85 mil). And those years will be up when both of those guys are just starting their career decline. I think it was a brilliant move by the Yankees. Now they spend almost EXACTLY the same money on one of the best 5 catchers in the majors for 5 prime years and one of the best 5 centerfielders in the majors for 7 of his prime years instead of spending it on the best 2nd baseman in the game for a length which will certainly see him not even coming close to being worth what they will be paying him in the last 3-4 years of the contract. I'd make that trade EVERY DAY!!! Especially when you consider that the Yankees need much more help than one guy alone can provide. Getting Ellsbury and McCann for Cano is a steal for NY in my eyes, and was a very smart move for a franchise in serious transition.
12/7/2013 2:05 AM (edited)
Disagree completely.

Cano will have a lot more production for a lot longer than Ellsbury.  When Cano eventually can't play 2B any longer, he can still be very productive in LF, 1B and/or DH for a number of years.  I can see getting a good 7 years of quality offensive production out of him.

Ellsbury's decline will be starting much earlier than the end of his contract.  My guess is that (assuming he stays healthy, which is a big "if") year 5 will be where it starts to become fairly uncomfortable, and years 6 and 7 will be a flat-out disaster.  And when he can't play CF any longer, he'll be a corner OFer with no power and declining skills.  Making $22m a year.

12/6/2013 6:59 PM
I understand that point of view, but Ellsbury's two major injuries both came from CONTACT. It's not like the guy is out of shape or has bad knees or a brittle body. He got hurt badly (twice) playing hard. That doesn't make him injury-prone, just unlucky. He's in great shape and I just don't agree with your assessment of his impending decline. Cano will be FOURTY- FREAKING-TWO when his contract ends. Are you seriously going to tell me he's going to be worth 27 million a year when he's 40, 41 or 42??? Or that paying him 27 million a year then will somehow be better than paying Ellsbury 17 mill a year when he's 36 or 37. And getting McCann for five years with the spare change (LOL!) left over between the Ellsbury and Cano deals makes it a great trade off for the Yankees, who, again, need much more help than Cano alone could provide. McCann and Ellsbury in their lineup everyday for the next few years makes them a better team than they would be with just Cano.
12/6/2013 7:09 PM (edited)
Not that it really matters, but I think the Cano contract is $25 mill/year for 9 years and the last year is $15 mill, so at least when he is at his most useless, he will "only" be getting $15 mill.
12/6/2013 7:11 PM
I'm looking at it from a "total average" standpoint. Seattle still spends 240 million for 10 years of Cano. The Yankees spend 238 million for 5 years of McCann and 7 years of Ellsbury. I think that's (within the insane economics of baseball) financially prudent for NY and makes them a better team now and later, when their options will be wide open again.
12/6/2013 7:16 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Cano a Mariner Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.