Next: We don't keep score.... Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 12/12/2013 3:28:00 PM (view original):
Why does there need to be collisions at home? I'd prefer not to lose my $100 million dollar catcher to a broken ankle, thanks.
Is there a current rule that prevents you from instructing your $100 million dollar catcher not to block the plate?  Is there a rule in place mandating that a runner try to run the catcher over instead of surrendering or sliding?

If you want to crack down on a runner going after the catcher when he isn't blocking the plate, then fine.  But making a rule to outlaw something that's entirely preventable if either person involves wants no part of it is silly.
12/12/2013 4:00 PM
This is MLB doing another "Look what we're doing!!!  We're protecting players!!!"    They're basically being pro-active, which is sooooo unlike MLB, in hopes of preventing future lawsuits.   Of course, with guaranteed contracts even if a player cannot play, I'm not sure what sort of lawsuit they hope to prevent.   Future earnings lost?
12/12/2013 4:03 PM
I was under the impression that sort of collision WAS illegal at every other base.  Am I wrong? Is it legal to tackle the second baseman if you're a runner?
12/12/2013 4:05 PM
You can't go in standing up into 2nd/3rd.    The reason being is that you have to stop at those bases.   You can't overrun them.    If you go in standing up, you can't stop.  So the obvious reason to do it would be to inflict damage.  
12/12/2013 4:07 PM
Or dislodge the ball.  You're about to be out.  Instead of sliding into the glove, destroy the 2nd baseman.  That's illegal, right?  I might be wrong, I assumed this was the case.
12/12/2013 4:08 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:05:00 PM (view original):
I was under the impression that sort of collision WAS illegal at every other base.  Am I wrong? Is it legal to tackle the second baseman if you're a runner?
This. All they did was make home plate like every other base.

Which makes sense.

Allowing the base runner to slam full speed int to the catcher and/or allowing the catcher to completely block home plate doesn't.
12/12/2013 4:09 PM
Yes, it's illegal but how do you stop after destroying the 2nd baseman?
12/12/2013 4:09 PM
You get up and you touch 2nd base while the 2nd baseman is sprawled out on the ground.  Like in catcher collisions.  

12/12/2013 4:11 PM
FWIW, I do agree that it will have a minimal impact on the game.    It happens 20 times a season?   30?    Most catchers don't put their stupidasses in the baseline.   And those that do only do it when an Ichiro is coming home not a Puig. 
12/12/2013 4:13 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:11:00 PM (view original):
You get up and you touch 2nd base while the 2nd baseman is sprawled out on the ground.  Like in catcher collisions.  

Catchers don't always drop the ball.    2B have a better glove to secure the ball.   Seems like a bad play despite being illegal.   Unless you're talking about breaking up the double play.   But, if you're a little late, you eat a ball that's thrown to first.
12/12/2013 4:15 PM
What's a better option. Sliding into a glove? Or tackling the guy with the ball, hoping he drops it.

It's illegal.  Eliminating it at home just makes it uniform at every base.
12/12/2013 4:18 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/12/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
Much like how the NFL is turinging into the Flag Football League, now MLB has taken the first step towards Major League T-Ball.

The seventh inning stretch will soon be replaced by juice boxes and a short naptime.
Is the NFL turning into Flag Foottball League???

I could have sworn this hit took place this year:

And this one:

12/12/2013 4:19 PM
I completely agree that it's not some core element of the game, and that it is inconsistent with how things go at other bases (that being said it IS different than the other bases), but it's an exciting play, it's long been a part of the game, and it just seems silly to me to legislate it out when it only happens if both players involved sign up for it.  This isn't like a defender going helmet to helmet in football.
12/12/2013 4:20 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:18:00 PM (view original):
What's a better option. Sliding into a glove? Or tackling the guy with the ball, hoping he drops it.

It's illegal.  Eliminating it at home just makes it uniform at every base.
Can't you slide around the glove?   The essential difference is that the 2B has no choice on where to be to make the play.   The C does.    He can block the path to the plate or he can do a sweep tag.    The 2B can't be 6 feet into LF.
12/12/2013 4:26 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...9 Next ▸
Next: We don't keep score.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.