2015 baseball HOF ballot. Topic

Alright, I'm already sick of talking about the 2014 HOF ballot.  Congrats to Maddux, Glavine, and Frank Thomas as they were no brainer 1st ballot selections.

Next year will feature Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz as the top newcomers with legit HOF cases.  Gary Sheffield will never get in because of PED's and Nomar just didn't have a long enough peak IMO.

Could Randy come close to 100% of the vote?  I don't see any reason to leave him off a ballot...

http://baseballhall.org/hall-famers/rules-election/future-eligibles
1/8/2014 3:17 PM
I'm sure at least as many guys will find a way to justify not voting for Randy Johnson as did for Greg Maddux.
1/8/2014 3:19 PM
Best shot at 100% on that list is Mariano Rivera in 2019. And he probably won't be 100% either.
1/8/2014 5:01 PM
Even if one were to disregard the PED shadow around Sheffield, the "integrity / character" clause in the voting guidelines are likely to work against him.

Some might recall when he admitted to intentionally making throwing errors in his early Milwaukee days when he was ****** at the team for moving him to 3B, and he was trying to force the Brewers to trade him.

You can bet that incident will be raised by BBWAA voters next year at voting time.
1/8/2014 7:38 PM
Posted by cadelu on 1/8/2014 5:01:00 PM (view original):
Best shot at 100% on that list is Mariano Rivera in 2019. And he probably won't be 100% either.
I guarantee plenty of guys won't vote for him just because he was a reliever
1/8/2014 8:56 PM
I'd vote for Johnson & Pedro.

Sheffield and Smoltz are borderline for me.
1/8/2014 9:54 PM
Anybody think there will be any changes to the voting process before next year?
1/8/2014 11:45 PM
No. In the end, the results were what most people expected, and even wanted. Sure, Maddux wasn't unanimous, but his percentage was in line with other top HOF pitchers.

I think it's more the PED issue than the voting. PED-guy supporters keep stubbornly voting for them, but they can't get them elected because PED-guy opponents leave them off the ballot. And other players are casualties of that because there aren't enough votes to go around.

I would like to see the 10 vote limit be removed. And the length of time guys are on the ballot for. 15 years is ridiculous.
1/9/2014 12:28 AM
If somebody can't get elected after 15 years, they probably aren't HOF worthy.  Keeping them on the ballot for longer than 15 years is ridiculous.
1/9/2014 5:49 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/9/2014 5:49:00 AM (view original):
If somebody can't get elected after 15 years, they probably aren't HOF worthy.  Keeping them on the ballot for longer than 15 years is ridiculous.
Yeah I totally agree.  Maybe 5 years max on the ballot is suffice.
1/9/2014 11:19 AM
I don't think the 5 year waiting period to appear on the ballot is necessary either.  Maybe wait 2 years after a guy retires just so he doesn't pull a Ryne Sandberg.
1/9/2014 11:19 AM
I think, at very least, they should limit time on the ballot to 5 years and open the ballots up to unlimited votes. If a guy can't get the consensus of voters after 5 years, without the "there wasn't enough room on the ballot" excuse, he's not a HOFer.
1/10/2014 12:46 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Thomas was one of the greatest RH hitters in MLB history. He was a lot more than a dude who just "walked a lot".
1/10/2014 1:30 AM
Without a doubt. 14th all time in OPs, 21st in OPS+. A no brainer.
1/10/2014 1:46 AM
1|2|3...56 Next ▸
2015 baseball HOF ballot. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.