HOF Voting is a joke. Topic

I think all writers ballots should be public and anyone who makes a totally ridiculous vote (as voted on by living HoF) should be banned for life from voting.  Examples are every year but just using this years Donkey Vote:
  1. What 16 writers do not think Maddux should be a HoF?  He has the numbers, during an offensive era.  He had a few of the most dominant seasons ever (Koufax effect) and has post season success.  No question about it, he is one of the Top 10-15 pitchers EVER.
  2. Glavine has the numbers, probably deserves it, but I am not passionate about it.  I do not see him as materially better than Mussina (who has little chance) despite Mussina pitching in one of the toughest divisions against tougher teams while being on a very average Baltimore team for a number of years.  Like Jack Morris only Mussina is BETTER.  If Mussina, is not HoF, then Schilling is definitely not, nor is Petite.
  3. Frank Thomas seemed like a shoo-in either this year or next.  Bagwell played 3 less years (none as DH) and averaged more HR/RBI per season.  If you think Bagwell is on steroids okay, but Thomas gets a pass?  Also, Edgar Martinez, not as good as either but should be in the conversation.
  4. The HoF represents less than 2% of those who ever played the game.  Jacque Jones/JT Snow were NEVER even in the Top 50 / 600 MLB players in any single year of their career.
I understand if you won't vote for steroid era but to make ridiculous votes like #1 and #4, you are making a joke of the process and should be banned.  If 75% of the members think your ballot is ridiculous, then you are out.

Finally, if there is any good from this is that Jack Morris will be out of the conversation.  A good pitcher in his era...not a GREAT pitcher.  Same to be said for Don Mattingly when he drops off.  A really good player, not a HoF.  If Keith Hernandez is out, so if Mattingly.

1/9/2014 7:38 PM
Voters have the right to use their ballots any way they see fit.

To attempt to argue that any particular voter should have his rights revoked because some random dude on the internet didn't agree with how he voted is pretty dumb.
1/9/2014 9:31 PM
The HOF board of directors are more chicken **** than Congress during an election year.  They're passing the buck onto the BBWAA to police themselves.  Yeah, that's never going to happen!

It's all rainbows and unicorns according to HOF chairwoman Jane Forbes Clark.  She doesn't think that a one-off, referring to Le Batard, should cause the whole process to be changed.

Problem is, Le Batard is not the only "one-off" with this election.  The guy that voted for Jacque Jones, Armando Benitez, Kenny Rogers, 2 voted for JT Snow & Eric Gagne, 16 didn't vote for Maddux, 2 people that didn't vote for Biggio, 74 that didn't vote for Piazza, and the 119 that didn't vote for Jeff Bagwell.  That's 218 one-off's by my count!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10270044/bbwaa-propose-vote-changes
1/9/2014 11:04 PM
Actually, I think you defending moron voting is pretty dumb and you are probably one of those guys who argues just for the sake of arguing.
  • Would ANY person other than the guy who voted for Jacque Jones think he deserves to be in the HoF next to Dimaggio?  NO.
  • Mark Davis, received a vote with a 41-84 career record, 4.17 ERA and 96 Saves over 15 years.  44 of which came in a Single Year.  Let's put his plaque next to Sandy Koufax.
  • Jim Eisenriech received 3 votes for his 52 career HRs and .290 average.  Lets put him right next to Rod Carew.  While we are at it, lets put both Cecil and Prince in because they hit that many in a season.  They could be the first father/son combo.  
  • Using your logic, someone should be able to honor Mario Mendoza for hitting .200 once simply because they want to vote for him.
The purpose of having the writers vote is that they are supposed to be knowledgeable and represent the game.  No one dictates their full vote but if it is clear they make a mockery of it, then they should lose their right...in my opinion.

The bottom line is this.  Less than 2% of all players who ever played get this honor to be recognized as one of the greatest.  This isn't about democracy and the right to vote, it is about respect for the game.  Some who had great careers fall short because the votes they needed went to Jacque Jones and Mark Davis.  But I hope you also take your investing advice from the guy who voted for Jacque.  

1/9/2014 11:05 PM
Perhaps you need to re-read my post...
1/9/2014 11:31 PM
Maybe the guy who voted for Jacque Jones worked closely with him while he was playing and thought he was a good interview and didn't want the guy to see himself get bagelled.  So what?  You know he's not going to get elected, so what  does it hurt?
1/9/2014 11:51 PM
It hurts nothing. Nothing wrong with tossing your guy a bone. Lighten up Francis's.
1/10/2014 1:43 AM
A vote for Jacque Jones is only a problem if you leave Maddux or similar off your ballot to do so.
1/10/2014 1:52 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/9/2014 11:51:00 PM (view original):
Maybe the guy who voted for Jacque Jones worked closely with him while he was playing and thought he was a good interview and didn't want the guy to see himself get bagelled.  So what?  You know he's not going to get elected, so what  does it hurt?
bagelled

not sure i like it
1/10/2014 1:54 AM
HOF Voting is a joke. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.