RIP CURT SCHILLING Topic

Posted by raucous on 4/30/2016 10:53:00 PM (view original):
None of them were fired. NONE!

That took 5 minutes. dahsdebater, which I guess is longer than your brain can function, providing it can at all.

I am just glad that I can use the women's room now and if someone questions me, I can claim I am a transgender in normal clothes and sue the f- out of them.
Jesus.... I will type slower with bigger words so you can see it.

NONE OF THEM WERE FIRED FOR THEIR LIBERAL HATE TALK! NONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/1/2016 8:34 AM
Go back to your castle.

5/1/2016 8:36 AM
Posted by raucous on 5/1/2016 8:34:00 AM (view original):
Posted by raucous on 4/30/2016 10:53:00 PM (view original):
None of them were fired. NONE!

That took 5 minutes. dahsdebater, which I guess is longer than your brain can function, providing it can at all.

I am just glad that I can use the women's room now and if someone questions me, I can claim I am a transgender in normal clothes and sue the f- out of them.
Jesus.... I will type slower with bigger words so you can see it.

NONE OF THEM WERE FIRED FOR THEIR LIBERAL HATE TALK! NONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look, going back to what Mike said, and the examples you brought up -

What is the difference between the liberal, more socially conscious ESPN media personalities that got in trouble vs Curt? For the most part, they stopped and Curt just kept on going.

That Bomani Jones guy wore his Cleveland protest shirt on Mike and Mike. Apparently ESPN went after him for that and he toed the line after then.

Jemele Hill had some hickups about 7-8 years ago talking about Hitler but hasn't really done anything to trip up since.

Stephen A Smith's wifebeater comments got him suspended. He hasn't been suspended since then, but of course he's got a lot of rope. They WANT him to be controversial unlike Curt Schilling.

The dude who wrote that ESPN Book said - “People who are on the air get riled up, and they earn their money by being provocative and saying provocative things and getting into debates. That’s in the DNA of their job description and their brand.” But when they wander way off script, and ESPN has a problem with it, they generally will do something about it.

And it isn't necessarily one sided...

Rob Parker - not sure he was 'more socially conscious' or not, but he certainly was in an arena where those topics came up. In other words, First Take. And when given the chance to relate to how RGME related to himself as an African American, he basically called him a (well, I can't really say it, but it has to do with porches). Then, after getting talked to about it he kept running his mouth. He got fired.

All that said, talking about social issues is NOT a role that they wanted Curt Schilling to take and I'm pretty certain they pointed that out to him. Several times. Like I said, when ESPN personalities relate unpopular positions they get pinched. Curt Schilling had multiple bruises and kept on going.

Now the whole NC thing? Its pretty obvious that most of the media that is NOT Fox is frowning on it. If 'ol Curt forgot his role and had said, "Through my life I have met many individuals from all walks of life from various orientations.. blah blah blah... and its tough for me to see MLB, the NBA etc alienating the fan base by staging events in Carolina, moving teams, etc because of this." If it was done in a tactful, intelligent way, do you think he gets suspended? I doubt it.

Instead he posted this - https://brobible.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/curtschilling.jpg?quality=90&w=650

5/1/2016 12:25 PM
Posted by raucous on 4/30/2016 10:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/28/2016 10:48:00 PM (view original):
When did any of those people say or do anything remotely as inflammatory as any of about 5 things Schilling has done in the past 2 years? Even you are smart enough and aware enough to realize this if you just try to turn on your brain for half a second.

ESPN.com columnist Jemele Hill was suspended yesterday after sparking outrage by comparing rooting for the Boston Celtics to Adolf Hitler and nuclear war.

“Jemele has been relieved of her writing and on-air responsibilities for a period of time to reflect on the impact of her words,” ESPN spokesman Paul Melvin said in an e-mailed statement yesterday.

Yesterday, Hill amplified on her earlier apology for writing, “Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan.”

Later in 2009, Hill once again was reprimanded for her comments after comparing University of Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball coach John Calipari to Charles Manson.[4] She later apologized to the university.[5]

In 2009, she also accused baseball player Sammy Sosa of being a racist for using skin creme that made his complexion lighter in an effort to hide his vitiligo.[6]

I think you answered your own question right here.

Hill got suspended. Then she didn't do anything else.

Schilling got suspended and then had another violation only a few months later. You see the difference? And that suspension was not for his first offense, either. He'd had at least 2 warnings prior to that for his controversial social media offerings.
5/1/2016 3:53 PM
I get so sick of the "liberal media" complex so many Republicans seem to have. Yeah, most of the media leans to the left. So what? With virtually the entire population of the country having some level of internet access on a regular basis, if you want news coverage with a conservative bent, it's not hard to find. If you want actually neutral reporting, the BBC is usually good for that. You don't have to watch the national news broadcasts if you don't like their perspective, though plenty of them on the national networks have such a mild liberal bias you could go weeks without noticing it. I mean, you would notice things, but that's because you're so far off center you probably think mainstream Republican politicians are liberal. But it's not the job of the news to cater to your extremist viewpoint. And it doesn't mean that every media outlet everywhere is treating conservatives unfairly.

Put frankly, Schilling has no self-control and, as an adult human being, should have known better. It's also not helping his position here that the dude is a raging douche. That hasn't come up at any point in this discussion, but I don't think it's entirely irrelevant. It seems like virtually everyone he's worked with since baseball, and many he played with or for in baseball, has described him as difficult, selfish, and unpleasant to work with. Employers are certainly going to be less lenient with problem employees than with employees that make their lives easier, instead of more difficult.
5/1/2016 3:58 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
It depends a lot on the nature of the attack...

If it were analogous, then yes, I think he would have been just as fired.

So yeah, I guess I disagree.
5/2/2016 3:10 AM
Well, you're wrong. NC is being put on full blast by pretty much everyone on ESPN and no one is being fired for it.
5/2/2016 8:23 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/2/2016 8:23:00 AM (view original):
Well, you're wrong. NC is being put on full blast by pretty much everyone on ESPN and no one is being fired for it.
Again, you seem to somehow be missing the massive difference between rational commentary and inflammatory postings with intentionally controversial presentation.
5/2/2016 12:28 PM
Posted by sjpoker on 5/2/2016 12:22:00 PM (view original):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/01/curt-schilling-not-happy-bloody-sock-game-cut-from-red-sox-yankees-30-for-30/?tid=sm_fb

Because we can't get enough Schilling controversy!!!
If it was anybody but Curt Schilling, I'd buy the story. But Schilling is such a massively egotistical blowhard, I wouldn't put it past him to have faked the bloody sock to bring even more attention to himself.
5/2/2016 12:50 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/2/2016 12:28:00 PM (view original):
Again, you seem to somehow be missing the massive difference between rational commentary and inflammatory postings with intentionally controversial presentation.
Again, you seem to think the posting was irrational and inflammatory. I'm not sure you're the arbiter of such things. And, FWIW, I believe most of the talk show hosts intend to be controversial. That wasn't Schilling's role but, I believe, had he taken a shot at NC, he still has a job.
5/2/2016 12:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/2/2016 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/2/2016 12:28:00 PM (view original):
Again, you seem to think the posting was irrational and inflammatory. I'm not sure you're the arbiter of such things. And, FWIW, I believe most of the talk show hosts intend to be controversial. That wasn't Schilling's role but, I believe, had he taken a shot at NC, he still has a job.
I think ESPN gets to decide what's irrational and inflammatory in this case and, since they fired Schilling, it seems like they agree with dahs.
5/2/2016 4:19 PM
Curt Schilling tweeted: "It's said that only 5-10% of Muslims are extremists. In 1940, only 7% of Germans were Nazis."

I still fail to see the controversial portion of this tweet. He says nothing to condemn Muslims. He is pointing out that a small % of a group can be strong enough to inflict real damage. In this case, that is the extremists. You have to read into it to be offended, or be a big fan of Muslim extremists.
5/3/2016 12:38 AM
I don't see anything especially controversial about that statement, but Schilling is still an idiot.
5/3/2016 12:57 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...9 Next ▸
RIP CURT SCHILLING Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.