Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by seamar_116 on 2/13/2014 8:34:00 AM (view original):
nope...ARods a total douche...but when he came to the Yankees he was a better SS. A true HOFer would have done what was best for the team.
So ignore long-term effects of what you're doing?

Play A-Rod at SS for a couple of seasons and move Jeter to 3B.   Then, in 2007 when A-Rod is no longer mobile enough to play SS, move them back.

Do you realize how dumb that is?    A-Rod, quite frankly, did not have a SS body(think Cal Ripken).   Everyone knew he'd grow out of the position in his early 30s.
2/13/2014 9:58 AM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/12/2014 8:23:00 PM (view original):
The only reason he announced it was to collect shitloads of retirement gifts like Mariano did....

Greedy little attention whore.
This was kinda my first reaction too.  But I know I'm a Jeter-hater, so I'm trying to curb my bias.  But yea, I never understood all the "extra" praise Jeter got for things that took place off the field, or things you couldn't see.  The vast majority of MLB players "do things the right way" but for whatever reason, Jeter gets the extra recognition for it.  And an argument could be made that there are things he does that aren't quite "the right way."  There are players who are looked at as "bad" off the field, and they would have gotten bashed a little for announcing this in February, for the reason todd says here.
2/13/2014 10:04 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/13/2014 9:56:00 AM (view original):
The other thread was talking about the HOF merits of players.

This thread is not.

So your question is not relevent to this thread.
meaning you don't want to answer a simple question like "How do you measure performance on the field?" Why is that such a threatening question for you to answer?
2/13/2014 10:05 AM
The alternative was, with no contract beyond this year, to answer "Is this your last season?" and "Will you play somewhere else?" all season.     What's more distracting?
2/13/2014 10:06 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2014 10:06:00 AM (view original):
The alternative was, with no contract beyond this year, to answer "Is this your last season?" and "Will you play somewhere else?" all season.     What's more distracting?
Definitely this scenario.
2/13/2014 10:12 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2014 9:58:00 AM (view original):
nope...ARods a total douche...but when he came to the Yankees he was a better SS. A true HOFer would have done what was best for the team.

Play A-Rod at SS for a couple of seasons and move Jeter to 3B.   Then, in 2007 when A-Rod is no longer mobile enough to play SS, move them back.

Do you realize how dumb that is?    A-Rod, quite frankly, did not have a SS body(think Cal Ripken).   Everyone knew he'd grow out of the position in his early 30s.
In Jeter's entire career, his defense has been better than replacement level THREE times. But go ahead and tell me about all the GG he has. Hell, even Edgar Martinez was better than replacement level FOUR times.
2/13/2014 10:13 AM
I say that because he could have given his standard "I'm not talking about this anymore" to the media and they would have left it alone for the year. 
2/13/2014 10:14 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/13/2014 10:15:00 AM (view original):
I say that because he could have given his standard "I'm not talking about this anymore" to the media and they would have left it alone for the year. 
Or they would have just went to his teammates and said "Has Jeter told you about his plans for next season?   Do you think the Yanks will bring him back?  If they don't, do you think he'd play somewhere else?"

Granted, if he's having a great year, they'll be peppered with "Do you think he's changing his mind?"

Rivera was not a distraction last year.   Announcing it before ST saves a lot of questions.   He'll have to deal with it for a week.
2/13/2014 10:23 AM
Posted by seamar_116 on 2/13/2014 10:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2014 9:58:00 AM (view original):

In Jeter's entire career, his defense has been better than replacement level THREE times. But go ahead and tell me about all the GG he has. Hell, even Edgar Martinez was better than replacement level FOUR times.
So they move A-Rod to 3B, Jeter to LF and who plays SS?   Did you see who played there last season?
2/13/2014 10:24 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2014 10:23:00 AM (view original):
Or they would have just went to his teammates and said "Has Jeter told you about his plans for next season?   Do you think the Yanks will bring him back?  If they don't, do you think he'd play somewhere else?"

Granted, if he's having a great year, they'll be peppered with "Do you think he's changing his mind?"

Rivera was not a distraction last year.   Announcing it before ST saves a lot of questions.   He'll have to deal with it for a week.
Mo was asked often last year "Are you sure?"

Regardless, my point, and I'm assuming todd's, isn't so much "it's a distraction" and more it's "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME."  For someone who's labeled as "team-first" and "selfless" it's strange for someone like that to do something that puts a lot of attention on him, personally, during the year. 
2/13/2014 10:26 AM
Posted by seamar_116 on 2/13/2014 10:05:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/13/2014 9:56:00 AM (view original):
The other thread was talking about the HOF merits of players.

This thread is not.

So your question is not relevent to this thread.
meaning you don't want to answer a simple question like "How do you measure performance on the field?" Why is that such a threatening question for you to answer?
I'm saying that I'm not gonna clutter this thread with the ******* contest that you seem to want to start.

Perhaps another thread might be more appropriate for your question.  Like one where discussion of performance has been debated.  I wonder if there's a thread like that somewhere on this site?
2/13/2014 10:44 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/13/2014 10:27:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2014 10:23:00 AM (view original):

Mo was asked often last year "Are you sure?"

Regardless, my point, and I'm assuming todd's, isn't so much "it's a distraction" and more it's "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME."  For someone who's labeled as "team-first" and "selfless" it's strange for someone like that to do something that puts a lot of attention on him, personally, during the year. 
Yeah, there would be any attention on him if he hadn't announced his intentions.

Honestly, even as a hater, you should know better.   Jeter is in the last year of his contract and hardly played last season.   The A-Rod fiasco is behind them.  Cano is gone.  The Yankees aren't likely to be very good.  For the most part, they will be uninteresting(as will the Mets).  The ONLY thing that could take away from the attention that Jeter will be given is the new Japanese pitcher being overpowering or a magical run by the Mets.  Other than that, it was going to be  all Jeter, all summer. 

Surely you know this.   
2/13/2014 10:44 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.