Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Then, surprisingly, you have more time to waste than I do. 

2/27/2014 2:49 PM

Seriously, would you go to www.obamasucks.org to read "Why the ACA will hurt America"?

2/27/2014 2:51 PM
Ha!!  That's a real website.  Sort of. 
2/27/2014 2:52 PM
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Even a Red Sox Fan can be right about something...  once.
2/27/2014 3:11 PM
In today's market, you can find a lot of clocks that aren't broken.   Why look at one that you know is and hope it's right?
2/27/2014 3:42 PM
Everyone is biased. If you only accept information from sources you think are unbiased, you're really only getting confirmation of things you already "know" and doing yourself a huge disservice.
2/27/2014 3:52 PM
So you're saying you would go to www.obamasucks.org to read up on the damaging effects of the ACA.

Seems like a waste of time as I'm sure you can find a somewhat less obvious biased website to read up on the ACA.    Much like I don't need to know what a blogger for Pesky Pole thinks about Jeter. 
2/27/2014 4:27 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/27/2014 4:27:00 PM (view original):
So you're saying you would go to www.obamasucks.org to read up on the damaging effects of the ACA.

Seems like a waste of time as I'm sure you can find a somewhat less obvious biased website to read up on the ACA.    Much like I don't need to know what a blogger for Pesky Pole thinks about Jeter. 
I would not go to that site looking for something to read. But if someone presented me with a well reasoned and factually based article, I wouldn't dismiss it without considering its merits, regardless of the original site it was published on.
2/27/2014 4:35 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/27/2014 2:27:00 PM (view original):
I would judge the merits of the piece by the piece itself, not necessarily by what else has been written on the site. That article on Jeter was right. Jeter is somewhat overrated. Jeter was not good defensively. Jeter is probably just as selfish as the next superstar athlete.

So yes, tec, I could possibly do that. Yesterday there was a very good piece on tax reform in the usually insane WSJ op/ed pages. That specific column wasn't biased or deserving of dismissal just because it was published in a normally very biased section of a conservative newspaper.
That's what I thought and that's why I posted it. Are any of you so dumb as to think I didn't realize WHERE the piece came from? The point is that, outside of NYC, I think that piece represents the opinions of most baseball fans in regard to Jeter. I think it was a pretty solid summation, regardless of the supposed "bias" of the source.
2/27/2014 4:48 PM
Buster Olney disagrees.
2/27/2014 5:33 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/27/2014 4:35:00 PM (view original):

I would not go to that site looking for something to read. But if someone presented me with a well reasoned and factually based article, I wouldn't dismiss it without considering its merits, regardless of the original site it was published on.

Wouldn't you actually have to read the article to know if it was well-reasoned and factually based?

If I started with "Hey, badluck, I got this article from www.obamasucks.org that explains the damaging effects of ACA.  It's a good read" would you bother to read it?

2/27/2014 6:27 PM
Posted by rsp777 on 2/27/2014 4:48:00 PM (view original):
I would judge the merits of the piece by the piece itself, not necessarily by what else has been written on the site. That article on Jeter was right. Jeter is somewhat overrated. Jeter was not good defensively. Jeter is probably just as selfish as the next superstar athlete.

So yes, tec, I could possibly do that. Yesterday there was a very good piece on tax reform in the usually insane WSJ op/ed pages. That specific column wasn't biased or deserving of dismissal just because it was published in a normally very biased section of a conservative newspaper.
That's what I thought and that's why I posted it. Are any of you so dumb as to think I didn't realize WHERE the piece came from? The point is that, outside of NYC, I think that piece represents the opinions of most baseball fans in regard to Jeter. I think it was a pretty solid summation, regardless of the supposed "bias" of the source.

Would you like to post some supporting evidence of "that piece represents the opinions of most baseball fans in regard to Jeter"?

Maybe you can pull an article from www.bleedingredsoxred.com to support your theory.

2/27/2014 6:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/27/2014 6:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 2/27/2014 4:35:00 PM (view original):

Wouldn't you actually have to read the article to know if it was well-reasoned and factually based?

If I started with "Hey, badluck, I got this article from www.obamasucks.org that explains the damaging effects of ACA.  It's a good read" would you bother to read it?

I don't know if I would read it or not.

But I did read the piece posted on Jeter. It wasn't biased. Did you read it?
2/27/2014 7:35 PM

Skimmed.  The parts around the links.    Much like you'd look at www.obamasucks.org and ignore the rest.

2/27/2014 8:08 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/27/2014 6:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rsp777 on 2/27/2014 4:48:00 PM (view original):

Would you like to post some supporting evidence of "that piece represents the opinions of most baseball fans in regard to Jeter"?

Maybe you can pull an article from www.bleedingredsoxred.com to support your theory.

That's why I posted the words "I think" before the rest of that sentence. That's MY opinion, and one that I think is shared by the majority of baseball fans outside of NY.
2/27/2014 8:09 PM
◂ Prev 1...22|23|24|25|26...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.