Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

And as for Ripken's streak.  Let's say, just for ***** and giggles, it ended at game 2129 for a non-injury reason.  Maybe his car breaks down on the way to the ball park, or he's kidnapped by aliens for a couple of hours.

Would he have continued to play the next 503 games, or would he have been given or taken off a couple of games along the way?  If it's the latter, then why?

2/28/2014 2:04 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/28/2014 1:55:00 PM (view original):

I dislike Ripken.

If he had any class, he would have sat after game 2129.

For just one game or forever?
2/28/2014 2:05 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/28/2014 2:05:00 PM (view original):

I dislike Ripken.

For the next game.
2/28/2014 2:06 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/28/2014 2:06:00 PM (view original):

I dislike Ripken.

For the next game.
What does that have to do with him having class?
2/28/2014 2:09 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/28/2014 1:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/28/2014 12:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/28/2014 8:50:00 AM (view original):
Seriously, I can't think of anything more selfish that being unprepared to play when your team needs you the most.    If Cabrera wasn't one of the best hitters in baseball, the Tigers would have released him on the spot.
That's odd - you've been telling us for 26 pages that Ripken was a selfish ***** for showing up ready to play every day.

Being prepared = selfish. Being unprepared = selfish. Good ol' Mikey hedging his bets
I like arguing with Mike as much as anyone, but give it a rest. He's just ******* with you. Nobody really dislikes Ripken. Ripken is like the Christmas of baseball players.
LOL@moredumbasseryfromjtpops

Being prepared to play, if needed, isn't the same as shoving your way into the line-up. 

Cabrera shows up drunk.  Not prepared.
Ripken shows up worn down but ready to play if asked.   Prepared but not necessarily needed. 

******* retard.
2/28/2014 2:25 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/28/2014 2:09:00 PM (view original):

I dislike Ripken.

For the next game.
He was clearly in decline at that time.  His continuing to play served one purpose, and one purpose only . . . to break the record.  It became more important than the team.

Had he sat after game 2,129, that would have sent a clear message . . . . "I could break the record, but I choose not to."  What a tremendous gesture of respect that would have been to Lou Gehrig.
2/28/2014 2:27 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/28/2014 2:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 2/28/2014 2:09:00 PM (view original):

I dislike Ripken.

For the next game.
He was clearly in decline at that time.  His continuing to play served one purpose, and one purpose only . . . to break the record.  It became more important than the team.

Had he sat after game 2,129, that would have sent a clear message . . . . "I could break the record, but I choose not to."  What a tremendous gesture of respect that would have been to Lou Gehrig.

Oh, I get it. This has nothing to do with Ripken or Ripken's "class."

Someone broke Gehrig's record and you're butthurt about it. Christ, it's been almost 20 years, old man. Get over it.

2/28/2014 2:38 PM

What purpose does it serve for a person of declining skills to break a longevity record?  Or should I say, whose purpose?

And I'm sorry that you apparently don't understand the concepts of class or respect.

2/28/2014 2:44 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/28/2014 2:04:00 PM (view original):

And as for Ripken's streak.  Let's say, just for ***** and giggles, it ended at game 2129 for a non-injury reason.  Maybe his car breaks down on the way to the ball park, or he's kidnapped by aliens for a couple of hours.

Would he have continued to play the next 503 games, or would he have been given or taken off a couple of games along the way?  If it's the latter, then why?

And feel free to comment on this, since you're in such a chatty mood this afternoon.
2/28/2014 2:45 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/28/2014 2:44:00 PM (view original):

What purpose does it serve for a person of declining skills to break a longevity record?  Or should I say, whose purpose?

And I'm sorry that you apparently don't understand the concepts of class or respect.

It's not disrespectful to break someone else's record. I think you're the one who doesn't understand the concept of respect.
2/28/2014 2:48 PM
I'm not a fan of Ripken but I'll defend him on this.

He showed up to play.   If he didn't throw a hissy at game 978 or 1352 or 1776 or, you get the point, because he wasn't in the line-up, it's not really his fault that the manager kept putting him it.  He could have asked for a day off, much like Jeter could have volunteered to move from SS, but there's something to showing up and going to work every day.   However, if you're going to **** all over Jeter for not jumping up and down and screaming "I'LL PLAY ANOTHER POSITION!!!  I WILL!!!  I WILL!!!", save a little bit of your **** for Ripken for not saying "TAKE ME OUT OF THE LINE-UP!!!!  I'LL SIT TODAY!!!!  I WILL!!!!  I WILL!!!!"

IOW, don't be a ******* hypocrite.
2/28/2014 2:49 PM
I guess that was that.   Have a good weekend, haters.
2/28/2014 6:45 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/28/2014 2:44:00 PM (view original):

Uh, to be fair, Gehrig was in considerably greater decline near the end of his streak than Ripken was...
2/28/2014 8:56 PM
And toddcommish beats me to it. I mean, the guy had Lou Gehrig's disease, how do you not see that one coming?
2/28/2014 9:38 PM
From Wikipedia:

On June 1, 1925, Gehrig entered the game as a pinch hitter, substituting for shortstop Paul "Pee Wee" Wanninger. The next day, June 2, Yankee manager Miller Huggins started Gehrig in place of regular first baseman Wally Pipp. Pipp was in a slump, as were the Yankees as a team, so Huggins made several lineup changes to boost their performance. Fourteen years later, Gehrig had played 2,130 consecutive games. In a few instances, Gehrig managed to keep the streak intact through pinch hitting appearances and fortuitous timing; in others, the streak continued despite injuries. For example:

• On April 23, 1933, a pitch by Washington Senators pitcher Earl Whitehill struck Gehrig in the head. Although almost knocked unconscious, Gehrig remained in the game.
  • On June 14, 1933, Gehrig was ejected from a game, along with manager Joe McCarthy, but he had already been at bat and received credit for playing the game.
  • In a June, 1934 exhibition game, Gehrig was hit by a pitch, just above the right eye and was knocked unconscious. According to news reports, he was out for five minutes. Helmets were not heavily introduced until the 1940s. He left the game, but was in the lineup the next day.[34]
  • On July 13, 1934, Gehrig suffered a "lumbago attack" and had to be assisted off the field. In the next day's away game, he was listed in the lineup as "shortstop", batting lead-off. In his first and only plate appearance, he singled and was promptly replaced by a pinch runner to rest his throbbing back, never taking the field. A&E's Biography speculated that this illness, which he also described as "a cold in his back", might have been the first symptom of his debilitating disease.[35]

In addition, X-rays taken late in his life disclosed that Gehrig had sustained several fractures during his playing career, although he remained in the lineup despite those previously undisclosed injuries.[36] On the other hand, the streak was helped when Yankees general manager Ed Barrow postponed a game as a rainout on a day when Gehrig was sick with the flu—even though it was not raining.[37]

Gehrig's record of 2,130 consecutive games played stood until September 6, 1995, when Baltimore Orioles shortstop Cal Ripken, Jr. broke it.[38]

Seems like maybe Gehrig wasn't such a saint about the way he achieved his streak?  In the modern game that "rain delay" stunt just wouldn't fly; teams don't have that kind of power anymore.  And none of Ripken's games were anything like the infamous lumbago game.  Though to his credit, and it is technically mentioned but glossed over in the Wiki text, he did get a hit.  So that was probably more valuable than if he hadn't played in the game at all.
2/28/2014 9:54 PM
◂ Prev 1...25|26|27|28|29...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.