Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by 05nomar05 on 3/2/2014 11:46:00 AM (view original):
3B free agents 2004
Beltre

SS 2004
Alex Gonzalez
Orlando Cabera
Omar Vizquel 

I'd say they could have done a lot better moving Jeters to LF.

Jeter goes to LF and Beltre signs.   What happens then?

3/2/2014 4:09 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/2/2014 11:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/2/2014 11:09:00 AM (view original):
The idea that Ripken is somehow bad because of the streak is idiotic. I know the point is just being made in response to someone else saying something dumb about Jeter, but let's pull our **** together.
The argument by the haters is that Jeter is somehow bad because he didn't volunteer to switch positions.

Just trying to point out how that argument can work both ways.
Once again, volunteering to switch positions is not the same as volunteering to take yourself out of the game altogether. I'm not sure how you fail to see what a flawed comparison that is.

You're also not revealing what "superstar" or can't-miss prospect Ripken was selfishly stealing playing time from in his late 30s.
3/2/2014 11:15 PM
This constant point of assessing a value on an aging player, truly misses the mark...
Their value is revenue, period... Jeter's final tour of a summer in North America won't
be compared to a "bobble-head give-away" night... Parking lots, seats, cash registers,
& human hearts will ALL be fill'd abundantly, whether he hits a homer, or steals a base,
or goes 0-4 @ the plate...

2nd guessing "what-should-be" always fails here, in these Forums... Ripken Jr. MORE
than deserved 2 play each every game, since the revenue is why this game exists...
3/2/2014 11:50 PM
No one is implying the Yankees should bench Jeter, just that he should have switched positions - but tec and Mike are saying that Ripken should have benched himself completely and not even played.

They don't seem to get the whole "apples to apples" thing.
3/3/2014 12:02 AM
For several pages now you seem to be trying to make the argument that changing positions is a smaller deal than sitting out a couple of games a year...  That's possibly the stupidest argument in this entire thread...  You should be taking advantage of the fact that nobody has responded to it, but you keep belligerently pointing out the stupidest thing anyone has said in this whole thread of stupid things...
3/3/2014 4:58 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 3/3/2014 12:02:00 AM (view original):
No one is implying the Yankees should bench Jeter, just that he should have switched positions - but tec and Mike are saying that Ripken should have benched himself completely and not even played.

You're the one missing the point.

You keep accusing Jeter of being selfish, and not swtching positions.  I'm not arguing that, though neither am I endorsing his actions.  Yet you are also conveniently ignoring the selfishness of Ripken putting his streak above the team and not volunteering to forsake the streak if management (a) thought it was a distraction to the team, and (b) thought that an aging player in decline might benefit from a day off occasionally throughout the season.

In other words, it's the hypocrisy of your criticism of Jeter's actions while staunchly defending Ripken's actions.

3/3/2014 6:06 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/28/2014 2:49:00 PM (view original):
I'm not a fan of Ripken but I'll defend him on this.

He showed up to play.   If he didn't throw a hissy at game 978 or 1352 or 1776 or, you get the point, because he wasn't in the line-up, it's not really his fault that the manager kept putting him it.  He could have asked for a day off, much like Jeter could have volunteered to move from SS, but there's something to showing up and going to work every day.   However, if you're going to **** all over Jeter for not jumping up and down and screaming "I'LL PLAY ANOTHER POSITION!!!  I WILL!!!  I WILL!!!", save a little bit of your **** for Ripken for not saying "TAKE ME OUT OF THE LINE-UP!!!!  I'LL SIT TODAY!!!!  I WILL!!!!  I WILL!!!!"

IOW, don't be a ******* hypocrite.
Yep.
3/3/2014 7:00 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/3/2014 6:08:00 AM (view original):

You keep accusing Jeter of being selfish, and not swtching positions.  I'm not arguing that, though neither am I endorsing his actions.  Yet you are also conveniently ignoring the selfishness of Ripken putting his streak above the team and not volunteering to forsake the streak if management (a) thought it was a distraction to the team, and (b) thought that an aging player in decline might benefit from a day off occasionally throughout the season.

In other words, it's the hypocrisy of your criticism of Jeter's actions while staunchly defending Ripken's actions.

Ripken wasn't hurting the team by continuing the streak.
3/3/2014 9:26 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/3/2014 9:26:00 AM (view original):

Why are older players occasionally given a game off?
3/3/2014 9:58 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/2/2014 4:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by 05nomar05 on 3/2/2014 11:46:00 AM (view original):
3B free agents 2004
Beltre

SS 2004
Alex Gonzalez
Orlando Cabera
Omar Vizquel 

I'd say they could have done a lot better moving Jeters to LF.

Jeter goes to LF and Beltre signs.   What happens then?

At that time.  A-Roid was a stud SS.  He won the GG at SS the 2 previous years before he went to the Yanks (and they were legit ones).

It was clear as day that A-Rod was a far superior defensive SS than Jeter.  Only Yankee fans didn't see it.

3/3/2014 10:27 AM

I didn't know switching positions was so damn difficult.  I mean, no one has ever done it.

Oh wait...A-Rod did it.....
3/3/2014 10:27 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/3/2014 9:58:00 AM (view original):

Why are people still bringing up Ripkin.  He has nothing to do with Jeter and his inability to switch positions and his overrated (undeserved) Gold Gloves.
3/3/2014 10:29 AM
Is taking a game or two off during the season also "so damn difficult"?

3/3/2014 10:31 AM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 3/3/2014 10:29:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 3/3/2014 9:58:00 AM (view original):

Why are people still bringing up Ripkin.  He has nothing to do with Jeter and his inability to switch positions and his overrated (undeserved) Gold Gloves.
You don't understand the real issue here, do you?
3/3/2014 10:32 AM
They're both huge competitors, believe that they are the best at what they do, and are inherently selfish.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  I don't blame Jeter for not volunteering to move to 3B, and I don't blame Ripken for asking out of the lineup.

The original point was that Jeter isn't this "team-first, selfless captain" that he's made out to be.  And Ripken isn't either.  I've heard a couple stories about how much of a dick he was from people who have met him.
3/3/2014 10:45 AM
◂ Prev 1...28|29|30|31|32...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.