Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 3/12/2014 10:50:00 AM (view original):
Look, dumbass, I've not said anyone has.  Perhaps you can quote that post. 

Beyond that line of dumbassery:
You've agreed that a ball must exit the bat in excess of 90 MPH in order to travel 300+ ft. 
You've agreed that it can exit the bat in excess of 90 MPH even if it's a groundball.
I've said "Do the math on a groundball that leaves the bat at 90+ MPH, bounces twice while traveling 65 ft and tell me how fast it is going." 
You've said "I can't."

So WTF are you still arguing about?
I really don't know why we're still arguing about this. We've already decided that your softball experience has absolutely nothing to do with Cabrera's ability to field a ball.
3/12/2014 11:55 AM

We sure did.   I said I, like most people playing stick/ball games, have the ability to get my face out of the way of a batted ball.  Perhaps it's just a survival instinct that Miggy does not possess.

Nonetheless, I want to know how fast a softball with an exit speed over 90 MPH is still going 65 feet later after bouncing twice on hard clay.   You seem to think it's impossible that could possibly be in the same ballpark as a baseball at 95 feet. 

3/12/2014 12:07 PM
After he answers that, I want to know what is the maximum air-speed velocity of a five ounce African swallow laden with a one pound coconut.
3/12/2014 12:39 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/12/2014 12:07:00 PM (view original):

We sure did.   I said I, like most people playing stick/ball games, have the ability to get my face out of the way of a batted ball.  Perhaps it's just a survival instinct that Miggy does not possess.

Nonetheless, I want to know how fast a softball with an exit speed over 90 MPH is still going 65 feet later after bouncing twice on hard clay.   You seem to think it's impossible that could possibly be in the same ballpark as a baseball at 95 feet. 

"We sure did.   I said I, like most people playing stick/ball games, have the ability to get my face out of the way of a batted ball.  Perhaps it's just a survival instinct that Miggy does not possess"

I guess this goes back to my main point. You seem to believe that you posses some sort of fielding ability that Cabrera doesn't. I find this extremely doubtful. I think he took one in the face because bad hops are bad hops and there isn't much anyone can do about it. I think that, had your bad hop in the chest bounced 6 inches higher, you also would have taken it in the face. Other major leaguers have been hit in the face with ground balls before Cabrera.

I'm not doubting the physics. I'm doubting the ability of old men in your rec softball league to hit balls on the ground with that much exit speed.

3/12/2014 1:14 PM

To be fair, Miggy was drunk at the time.
3/12/2014 1:31 PM
So was Mike.
3/12/2014 1:37 PM
No, I think almost everyone who plays baseball/softball(or really pretty much any sport that allows for the chance to get hit in the head by a ball they clearly see) has the ability to get their face out of the way.    As far as my particular case, in the fielding position, that ball was face high.  I pulled up when it hopped.  Not because I've got some magical spidey-sense but because the natural reaction is to get your ******* face out of the way of speeding objects.   Happens all the time.  As I said earlier, I've not seen a lot of non-pitchers take one in the face.    If nothing else, normal people turn their head and take it off the jaw/ear. 

Do you doubt that some of the old men can hit a ball over 300 ft?   I certainly have no way to prove it but it does happen.  Once or twice in almost every game.   So, assuming you're not doubting that, and you agree one must hit the ball with an exit speed of 90 MPH in order to do so, what the **** are you doubting?  If it helps you understand, they let us old folks use 1.21 BPF bats.  Probably adds about 20-25 ft in distance over a 1.20 bat.
3/12/2014 1:38 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 3/12/2014 1:31:00 PM (view original):

This may actually be the explanation...
3/12/2014 1:41 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/12/2014 1:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 3/12/2014 1:31:00 PM (view original):

This may actually be the explanation...
Honestly, I don't think he was paying attention.   At least not like he should have been at 3B.   As I've repeated dozens of times over the last two days, people have an amazing ability to not get hit in the face by objects they pick up quickly.    Survival instinct.    He might have been drawing circles in the sand when he heard the crack of the bat and looked up too late.  But it's just not natural to get hit in the face with a ball that you should have seen 100 feet away. 
3/12/2014 1:46 PM
Anyway, I've wasted two days watching badluck step on his dick whenever he tried to explain anything about exit speeds, swings or basically anything about hitting a ball.    I think he's confirmed that he doesn't play and doesn't watch the game. 
3/12/2014 1:47 PM
Wasn't all that established around a year or so ago?
3/12/2014 1:54 PM
That's why I said he confirmed it. 
3/12/2014 1:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/12/2014 1:38:00 PM (view original):
No, I think almost everyone who plays baseball/softball(or really pretty much any sport that allows for the chance to get hit in the head by a ball they clearly see) has the ability to get their face out of the way.    As far as my particular case, in the fielding position, that ball was face high.  I pulled up when it hopped.  Not because I've got some magical spidey-sense but because the natural reaction is to get your ******* face out of the way of speeding objects.   Happens all the time.  As I said earlier, I've not seen a lot of non-pitchers take one in the face.    If nothing else, normal people turn their head and take it off the jaw/ear. 

Do you doubt that some of the old men can hit a ball over 300 ft?   I certainly have no way to prove it but it does happen.  Once or twice in almost every game.   So, assuming you're not doubting that, and you agree one must hit the ball with an exit speed of 90 MPH in order to do so, what the **** are you doubting?  If it helps you understand, they let us old folks use 1.21 BPF bats.  Probably adds about 20-25 ft in distance over a 1.20 bat.
Aramis Ramirez got hit in the face by a ground ball. So did Joe Crede. It happens. Infrequently, but it still happens. Cabrera is a bad fielder, but getting hit in the face was likely just a bad bounce. Your ****** softball league is irrelevant.

"Do you doubt that some of the old men can hit a ball over 300 ft?" I do not doubt that.

I doubt that they are hitting ground balls with an exit speed of 90 mph.

3/12/2014 2:33 PM
Do you doubt that because you're stupid?  Stubborn?  Both?   I could repeat myself about exit speeds, distance traveled, ground ball/fly ball but, honestly, it seems pointless.    You're either a dumbass or an *******.  Probably both.

Again, people seldom get hit in the face.  Little League, Softball League, Women's Field Hockey, Rec League Basketball, Grandma Tennis League, etc, etc.   You know why?  People have a self-preservation mode that says "Get your ******* face out of the way of that speeding object."    Simple fact.
3/12/2014 3:42 PM
I'll add, just for ***** and giggles, that your stupidity/stubborness likely stems from the fact that you've been wrong about everything in this thread.   Starting with how much time it takes a max speed softball to travel 65 ft as compared to a max speed baseball to travel 95 ft.   You doubled down on GB/FB exit speed and progressively got dumber. 

So, instead of just moving on, you decided to compare my anecdotal softball story to Miggy's real life experience.   Sadly, I won't follow you down that rabbit hole.  I simply say very few people get hit in the face by balls regardless of the sport.    Because it's a fact. 
3/12/2014 3:57 PM
◂ Prev 1...47|48|49|50|51...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.