MLB: a bag of a**holes. Topic

"Personally: I find a guy possibly getting away with taking some testosterone and HGH against company rules to be less of a problem than a felony. Maybe that’s just me being a crazy, cheater-loving apologist again. Maybe that’s just me being a contrarian and looking for any excuse to lay into sportswriters and other people who disagree with me on this stuff.

But maybe it’s also possible that MLB was the worse actor than A-Rod here and their pursuit of him was literally criminally overzealous. Maybe, rather than arguing, as so many have, that Bud Selig’s suspension of Alex Rodriguez was a vindication of MLB’s anti-drug policies, it should be acknowledged that it was pretty disgraceful."

Link

5/12/2014 1:00 PM
(Yawn).

Besides you, who gives a flying ****?
5/12/2014 2:18 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/12/2014 2:18:00 PM (view original):
(Yawn).

Besides you, who gives a flying ****?
Maybe you, since you're posting here?
5/12/2014 2:34 PM
As a Yankee fan, you should care. The Yankees chances of remaining playoff relevant would have been much better with Arod at third instead of Solarte/Johnson/Sizemore going forward. Unless you buy Solarte's hot start as his true talent level.

If I were a Yankee fan I wouldn't be happy that MLB used illegal tactics to bust Arod.
5/12/2014 2:40 PM
I prefer baseball clean. Was MLB right? No, they're ********. But I don't really care too much.

Professional sports has always operated under a different set of rules than any other business.  I'm ok with it.
5/12/2014 5:14 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/12/2014 5:14:00 PM (view original):
I prefer baseball clean. Was MLB right? No, they're ********. But I don't really care too much.

Professional sports has always operated under a different set of rules than any other business.  I'm ok with it.
I'm more OK with players cheating than I am with MLB breaking the law to catch cheaters.
5/12/2014 6:03 PM
For me, it depends what the law is.
5/12/2014 7:01 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/12/2014 5:14:00 PM (view original):

I have to ask a couple of questions.

1.  Do you follow any other sports?
2.  Do you have the same "outrage" for PED in them?
5/12/2014 7:11 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/12/2014 7:01:00 PM (view original):
For me, it depends what the law is.
I think MLB paid more than $5,000 for the docs, so it's felony receiving stolen property under federal law (may be wrong, not a lawyer).

Much worse, in my opinion, than breaking MLB rules regarding drugs that may or may not be performance enhancing.
5/12/2014 7:14 PM
Why don't you call Allan H. Selig and register your complaints with him.

(212) 931-7500.  Ask for "Bud".

Demand that he sets things right for you.

Let us know how that goes.
5/12/2014 8:44 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/12/2014 2:40:00 PM (view original):
As a Yankee fan, you should care. The Yankees chances of remaining playoff relevant would have been much better with Arod at third instead of Solarte/Johnson/Sizemore going forward. Unless you buy Solarte's hot start as his true talent level.

If I were a Yankee fan I wouldn't be happy that MLB used illegal tactics to bust Arod.
I'm a Yankee fan, and I'm perfectly happy with how things have gone down regarding ARod.

Some things should be bigger than the game on the field.  Such as the integrity of the product being sold to the public.

MLB ****** up and sold us all a tainted product for years.  I'm glad that they're taking appropriate steps to clean up the game.  As far as the tactics used . . . as the saying goes, "you've got to break a couple of eggs to make an omelette".  If there's a problem of legality, let the judges and the lawyers sort it it.  Not some dipshit on teh interwebz.
5/12/2014 8:50 PM
Some things should be bigger than the game on the field.  Such as the integrity of the product being sold to the public.
So was the "game on the field" not baseball during the steroid era when probably 50%+ of the guys playing were using PEDs of some sort?  Was the game really that much different?  I mean, overall public opinion would suggest it was more exciting.  But other than that...
5/12/2014 9:44 PM
"Was the game really that much different?"

With the top six single season home run records coming over a four year span from 1998-2001, I'd say "yes".
5/12/2014 10:13 PM
It's silly to ask "Was the game that much different".     Look at the stats.    Now, of course, you can look at eras and see how "the game was that much different" in the 60s or 70s.   Or 20s/30s.   Yes, it is/was "that much different".     Nonetheless, I think there's a disturbing trend in the new today's game that might need to be "fixed".     1 in 5 AB ends in a strikeout.   Whiffs have been on the rise since tougher PED laws were put in place.   While statnerds may say "An out's an out", a whiff is also two guys playing catch to the casual fan.    People won't pay to watch a game of catch. 
5/12/2014 10:24 PM
IOW, PEDs might save the game.   MLB might need to figure out how to regulate it.
5/12/2014 10:25 PM
1|2|3...49 Next ▸
MLB: a bag of a**holes. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.