"Baseball is fine. Don't worry about it" Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 8/5/2014 7:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 8/4/2014 12:16:00 PM (view original):
Aside from the fact that you happen to be a fan of one of the teams, how can you totally ignore the fact that Yanks/Sox just ISN'T an important matchup this season?  Only one of the teams is contending, and even that is a generous assessment.  Ironically, I don't think you'd say nearly as much about a Baltimore/Toronto matchup, or a Baltimore/Oakland matchup, or Seattle/Toronto, even though all of those are far more relevant with substantial playoff implications.  You think it's good for the future of baseball to try to build up fan bases for the handful of teams with the most money and just say "who cares who's winning, look at these overpaid guys!"?  Ignoring the fact that you somehow don't even seem to understand how the network contracts work, the particular game you keep harping on is borderline irrelevant.
Guess you weren't getting the game you wanted when you posted this.    All me.
I have MLB.TV; I get any game I want.

You were the one making the brilliant argument that it was MLB's problem that the network contract was designed to achieve a network goal, i.e. attracting maximum viewership to FS1.  The only possible solution to this, from MLB's perspective, is to turn down more lucrative contracts designed to generate viewership for networks and instead focus on contracts that are "good for baseball."  FOX thought that putting games on FS1 was good for FOX.  Most networks think that broadcasting Yankees/Sox, or really any games with either of those teams, is good for viewership as well.  They are the biggest teams with the most fans, so they draw the highest ratings.  But you can't possibly think that it's good for the future of baseball to heavily broadcast the teams that are already the richest and have the largest followings.  It's going to be hard for the league to support itself long-term if revenue-sharing ultimately results in the big teams carrying the small teams, and contraction generally isn't a great solution since it shrinks your local market saturation.  So it seems fairly clear to me that it's in the best interest of baseball to broadcast games from smaller-market teams nationally; the most reasonable way to do this, without sacrificing TOO much interest, is to focus on games featuring teams in postseason contention, with an emphasis on smaller-market teams.  If you want MLB to hold out for contracts televising games on broadcast networks, surely you want them to hold out for contracts promising some kind of balance in teams featured?  They certainly have set up the MLB Network coverage to maximize coverage of small-market teams relative to what's featured on other national baseball broadcasts.

If you want MLB to seek out contracts that are "good for baseball," focus on the long-term health of all the teams, not just the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cardinals.  Right?  Or they could just do the logical thing and sign the more lucrative contract that puts the most popular games on FS1.

I hope this is clear enough.  I didn't explain anything very thoroughly since you value brevity over clarity.
8/5/2014 9:11 PM
LOL.  You know I'm not reading all that, *****.    Post like a man.
8/5/2014 9:31 PM
Posted by The Taint on 8/5/2014 8:56:00 PM (view original):

It did for the NBA.  The last deal they signed went up 20 percent:   $767 million to $930 million after the fourth worst ratings since 1982.  Down 10 percent from the year before.

I posted a couple of links yesterday.   More sports stations needing live content.   MLB and the NBA provide live content every night for 6 months.    It won't last forever.  There is a saturation point.  Or a breaking point.   Pretending it will never come is silly.
8/5/2014 9:33 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/5/2014 9:31:00 PM (view original):
LOL.  You know I'm not reading all that, *****.    Post like a man.
I refuse to cater to the stupid and lazy.  It has nothing to do with gender.
8/5/2014 10:24 PM
And frankly, what's the point of even attempting to discuss anything with a person who won't read anything longer than a short paragraph?  That person is never going to be well-informed, never going to have anything interesting or meaningful to offer, certainly never going to be in a position to convince anyone with a modicum of interest in the subject of anything whatsoever.  If you refuse to bother trying to accumulate knowledge, all you're doing is spewing your ignorant bullshit.  Why would I want to come down to that level?
8/5/2014 10:27 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 8/5/2014 10:27:00 PM (view original):
And frankly, what's the point of even attempting to discuss anything with a person who won't read anything longer than a short paragraph?  That person is never going to be well-informed, never going to have anything interesting or meaningful to offer, certainly never going to be in a position to convince anyone with a modicum of interest in the subject of anything whatsoever.  If you refuse to bother trying to accumulate knowledge, all you're doing is spewing your ignorant bullshit.  Why would I want to come down to that level?
Have mike explain treasury bonds and the deficit to you. That **** is gold.
8/5/2014 11:28 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 8/5/2014 10:27:00 PM (view original):
Because you can't help but hope someone will read your nonsense. It's so "important".    And, if they refuse to read your long-winded bullshit, it must be them.    As I said, you're the fat chick at a bar.   How can anyone not be interested after you spent so much time getting ready?  
8/6/2014 6:51 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
o
8/6/2014 7:10 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
k
8/6/2014 7:41 AM
Anyway, enough about dahs and his over-inflated opinion of himself. 

It's a numbers game.   Right now, the numbers fall on the side of the sport.   New sports channels needing content.  Good for everybody.   But, as viewers go down, the demand will be less.    The best example, because it's more immediate, is NASCAR.   During their boom, late 90s/early 2000s, sponsors were falling all over each other to put a sticker on a car.   A couple of years ago(and it may still be happening), unsponsored teams were doing a "start and park" to collect a paycheck.   NASCAR's TV ratings mirror MLB's over the last 10 years except they're much better.   You can't expect the TV money to keep rolling in when less people are watching. 

FWIW, NASCAR is doing all sorts of things in an attempt to bring people back.
8/6/2014 8:22 AM
sorry, too long to read...please keep it to tweet length.
8/6/2014 10:47 AM
You're not my target audience.  
8/6/2014 10:53 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/6/2014 10:53:00 AM (view original):
You're not my target audience.  
just curious...are you as insufferable in RL as you are in the forums?
8/6/2014 12:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...16 Next ▸
"Baseball is fine. Don't worry about it" Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.