Attn MikeT23 Topic

We disagree that people would get overwhelmed by seeing the a handful of the best players of each era.
8/14/2014 1:23 PM
Are you an art "fan"?   Ever been to The Met?
8/14/2014 1:40 PM
No. No.  And if the Met was less "overwhelming" with the amount of art it has, I wouldn't be more of a fan, either.

Have you met people who told you the HOF was overwhelming?
8/14/2014 1:51 PM
Didn't I say I wasn't going to argue HOF **** today?   Well, I won't.

But here's a story about The Met.  Me and a couple of friends were in NYC for some games.   We had a "free" afternoon.  4 hours or so.  One suggested going to The Met as he'd never been to NYC and didn't know if he'd ever be back. None of us knew a whole lot about art but we knew enough to know that would be a good place to look at some.   Walked in and the first thought in my head was "We don't have enough time."   Simply because I didn't know what was "important" and what was done by some dipshit I've never heard of.   I wanted to educate myself a little more to the world of art but it wasn't about to happen that day.  Am I saying The Met should trim it down?  Of course not.   It's not meant for me.    Maybe the HOF isn't meant for the "casual fan" who wants to learn something about the all-time greats.   But I think it should cater to that EXACT person. 
8/14/2014 1:58 PM
The casual person isn't going to the Hall of Fame.  It's there for the FANS of the game historian buffs.
8/14/2014 2:12 PM
How do you know who's going to the HOF?

8/14/2014 2:15 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/14/2014 1:58:00 PM (view original):

But here's a story about The Met.  Me and a couple of friends were in NYC for some games.   We had a "free" afternoon.  4 hours or so.  One suggested going to The Met as he'd never been to NYC and didn't know if he'd ever be back. None of us knew a whole lot about art but we knew enough to know that would be a good place to look at some.   Walked in and the first thought in my head was "We don't have enough time."   Simply because I didn't know what was "important" and what was done by some dipshit I've never heard of.   I wanted to educate myself a little more to the world of art but it wasn't about to happen that day.  Am I saying The Met should trim it down?  Of course not.   It's not meant for me.    Maybe the HOF isn't meant for the "casual fan" who wants to learn something about the all-time greats.   But I think it should cater to that EXACT person. 
You're not an art "fan." Scaling down the Met isn't going to make you an art fan. It might make your once in a lifetime visit to the Met more enjoyable but it would diminish the importance of the Met.
8/14/2014 2:15 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/14/2014 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/14/2014 1:58:00 PM (view original):

You're not an art "fan." Scaling down the Met isn't going to make you an art fan. It might make your once in a lifetime visit to the Met more enjoyable but it would diminish the importance of the Met.
Quoting because it was similar to what I would say.

The HOF is meant for fans of baseball who are interested in its history. Not for the guy who's going to wineries upstate and figured he'd stop by because he was in the area.
8/14/2014 2:26 PM
If the HOF is for the hardcore fan and wants to stay that way, so be it.   As I said, I don't think The Met should cut back to make it more "art fan friendly" because it is what it is.

But, as "fandom" goes, baseball is moving in the wrong direction.   For the eleventy billionth time, I don't think you can make the game more fan friendly without changing the integrity of the game so, if there are other avenues to bring new fans in/old fans back, they should be explored.   The HOF is one of those. 

Would you agree that the NFL is the most popular American sport?  A few years back people were saying "The games are too long."   I thought "**** that. It's more bang for my buck."   But the smart guys in the NFL home office said "We need to address this."   When the most popular American sport isn't afraid to look into how they're doing business, you'd think one on the decline would do the same.   But, that's OK, baseball is fine.  Quit talking about it.  
8/14/2014 2:33 PM
If you want to improve the game, great. But cutting players out of the HOF because you think people are overwhelmed is stupid. The HOF is meant for baseball fans, not to create baseball fans from people who are stopping by because they have time to kill.
8/14/2014 2:36 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/14/2014 2:33:00 PM (view original):
If the HOF is for the hardcore fan and wants to stay that way, so be it.   As I said, I don't think The Met should cut back to make it more "art fan friendly" because it is what it is.

But, as "fandom" goes, baseball is moving in the wrong direction.   For the eleventy billionth time, I don't think you can make the game more fan friendly without changing the integrity of the game so, if there are other avenues to bring new fans in/old fans back, they should be explored.   The HOF is one of those. 

Would you agree that the NFL is the most popular American sport?  A few years back people were saying "The games are too long."   I thought "**** that. It's more bang for my buck."   But the smart guys in the NFL home office said "We need to address this."   When the most popular American sport isn't afraid to look into how they're doing business, you'd think one on the decline would do the same.   But, that's OK, baseball is fine.  Quit talking about it.  
I think this:
if there are other avenues to bring new fans in/old fans back, they should be explored.   The HOF is one of those.
is where you're disconnecting with everyone else. 

Making changes to the Hall of Fame isn't going to attract new fans. By making it more exclusive, you risk alienating people who are already fans.
8/14/2014 2:38 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/14/2014 2:36:00 PM (view original):
If you want to improve the game, great. But cutting players out of the HOF because you think people are overwhelmed is stupid. The HOF is meant for baseball fans, not to create baseball fans from people who are stopping by because they have time to kill.
Fine.

Baseball is fine.  Don't worry about it. 
8/14/2014 2:47 PM
And, for the record, I think the HOF should induct meaningful players not any schlub who was pretty good for 10-15 years.   Of course, I've said this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.  
8/14/2014 2:50 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/14/2014 2:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/14/2014 2:36:00 PM (view original):
Fine.

Baseball is fine.  Don't worry about it. 
I certainly won't worry about the HOF.  
8/14/2014 3:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/14/2014 2:50:00 PM (view original):
And, for the record, I think the HOF should induct meaningful players not any schlub who was pretty good for 10-15 years.   Of course, I've said this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.  
Who have we argued about that was only "pretty good" for 10-15 years? I don't think anyone is arguing for Greg Vaughn for the HOF.
8/14/2014 3:02 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Attn MikeT23 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.