A Different Hall of Fame Argument Topic

Bruce Bochy is about to become the 17th manager in modern MLB history (since the World Series era started in 1903) to manage in four different World Series. It's interesting to note that all 16 of the other managers in that group are in the Hall of Fame.

His career regular season managing record is only 1618-1604 (.502), but his career postseason managing record is 37-27 (.578), with two WS championships and a good shot at a third.

Here are the other 16 managers:

Tony La Russa
Joe Torre
Bobby Cox
Tommy Lasorda
Sparky Anderson
Earl Weaver
Dick Williams
Walt Alston
Casey Stengel
Billy Southworth
Joe McCarthy
Bill McKechnie
Connie Mack
Miller Huggins
John McGraw
Frank Chance

10/17/2014 10:46 AM
So does Bochy get into the HOF as a manager after he retiires?
10/17/2014 10:46 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I'm stunned that he's been managing for 20 years.  
10/17/2014 11:08 AM
JTPOPS HIM, TEC!!!!!!!
10/17/2014 11:15 AM
I have him blocked.

Is he accusing me of banging truckstop wrores?

10/17/2014 11:19 AM

No, his thang is that you're my lackey.   I think he stole it from jtpops.   Between them, they do have a semi-functional brain.

10/17/2014 11:24 AM
That's being generous.
10/17/2014 11:27 AM

Well, I was thinking of semi-functional as being able to dress themselves.    Maybe not tie shoes but pull a shirt over their head without suffocating.

10/17/2014 11:29 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/17/2014 10:46:00 AM (view original):
Eh, I'm not a big fan of managers in the hall of fame. I'm sure there are a handful that belong but most, like Bochy, just happened to be the guy filling out the lineup card.
10/17/2014 11:59 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/17/2014 11:29:00 AM (view original):

Well, I was thinking of semi-functional as being able to dress themselves.    Maybe not tie shoes but pull a shirt over their head without suffocating.

I think cresty would struggle when he got to the socks, and would end up ranting about how "IT'S DUBYA'S FAULT!!!!!".
10/17/2014 12:01 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/17/2014 11:59:00 AM (view original):
Eh, I'm not a big fan of managers in the hall of fame. I'm sure there are a handful that belong but most, like Bochy, just happened to be the guy filling out the lineup card.
I think there's a lot more to managing than just "filling out the lineup card".
10/17/2014 12:04 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/17/2014 12:04:00 PM (view original):
Absolutely. I just don't know how much of a difference the manager really makes. His most important job is probably keeping order in the clubhouse, making sure ******** aren't wrecking the team, etc.

Beyond that, we can evaluate his decisions and ask, "did that decision put his team in the best position to win?' But most of those decisions have relatively small plus/minus. An average manager should be able to make the right call the vast majority of the time and not cost his team too much when he occasionally makes the wrong one. 

*Unless his name is Mike Matheny. They he'll do dumbshit things like bringing Wacha in to pitch for the first time in 20 days in the 9th inning of an elimination game in the NLCS with his best reliever (Rosenthal) standing in the bullpen holding his dick.
10/17/2014 12:35 PM
I imagine, at the BL level, it's more about managing people.    Bochy only had Bonds for one season.   Just glancing some rosters, it seems like the only real problems he would have had was keeping Lincecum from smoking dope with Zito before games, Kung Fu Panda from bogarting the post game spread or the Melk Man from leaving dirty needles in the shower.    Didn't have to manage under the East Coast bright lights.   While I'm sure he had minor issues to deal with, I don't think he's had a tough road in SF.
10/17/2014 1:04 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/17/2014 12:36:00 PM (view original):
Absolutely. I just don't know how much of a difference the manager really makes. His most important job is probably keeping order in the clubhouse, making sure ******** aren't wrecking the team, etc.

Beyond that, we can evaluate his decisions and ask, "did that decision put his team in the best position to win?' But most of those decisions have relatively small plus/minus. An average manager should be able to make the right call the vast majority of the time and not cost his team too much when he occasionally makes the wrong one. 

*Unless his name is Mike Matheny. They he'll do dumbshit things like bringing Wacha in to pitch for the first time in 20 days in the 9th inning of an elimination game in the NLCS with his best reliever (Rosenthal) standing in the bullpen holding his dick.
The "don't pitch your closer on the road in a tie game" mentality has always driven me insane. He deserves any **** he gets for that.
10/17/2014 1:21 PM
12 Next ▸
A Different Hall of Fame Argument Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.