A Different Hall of Fame Argument Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 10/17/2014 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 10/17/2014 12:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/17/2014 11:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 10/17/2014 10:46:00 AM (view original):
So does Bochy get into the HOF as a manager after he retiires?
Eh, I'm not a big fan of managers in the hall of fame. I'm sure there are a handful that belong but most, like Bochy, just happened to be the guy filling out the lineup card.
I think there's a lot more to managing than just "filling out the lineup card".
I imagine, at the BL level, it's more about managing people.    Bochy only had Bonds for one season.   Just glancing some rosters, it seems like the only real problems he would have had was keeping Lincecum from smoking dope with Zito before games, Kung Fu Panda from bogarting the post game spread or the Melk Man from leaving dirty needles in the shower.    Didn't have to manage under the East Coast bright lights.   While I'm sure he had minor issues to deal with, I don't think he's had a tough road in SF.
I agree that a manager has more to deal with managing people than strategy stuff.  And that's a complete 180 from how I felt 5 years ago or so.

One could argue that the fact that you didn't hear about issues in SF is partially because of Bochy's management.

If the Giants win this WS? I'd put him in. 3 WS wins in 6 years when nobody thought you were the best team in the league going into the playoffs is impressive.
10/17/2014 1:25 PM
One could argue that.   I just don't see a team with a roster full of egos to manage. 
10/17/2014 1:28 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/17/2014 11:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 10/17/2014 10:46:00 AM (view original):
So does Bochy get into the HOF as a manager after he retiires?
Eh, I'm not a big fan of managers in the hall of fame. I'm sure there are a handful that belong but most, like Bochy, just happened to be the guy filling out the lineup card.
whether or not Bochy belongs in the HofF is one question, but having watched him up close for many years, he does a lot more than just fill out a lineup card. especially in the postseason, he always seems to make the right moves. Not saying he should be in the Hall, but I think he's a very good, if not great manager. Much as like Joe Torre, when he was with the Yankees he had a lot more of a Just fill out the lineup card situation than Bochy does or ever did.
10/17/2014 2:58 PM
What? Joe Torre had to deal with the hardest baseball town (outside of Boston, perhaps). There are multiple radio stations and at least 6 newspapers who analyze every single move from every game, every day, all summer. That's a heck of a lot more than filling out the lineup.
10/18/2014 3:45 PM
10/18/2014 3:56 PM
And that's day 1!!!!!
10/18/2014 7:53 PM
Hey, I'm a Yankee fan and I grew up in NY.  I know all about it.  But with the players he had it would have been hard not to win, and as long as you win, NY won't treat you that badly.
10/19/2014 12:24 AM
He sucked as the mets manager. 
10/19/2014 5:21 AM
10/19/2014 8:06 AM
everyone sucks as the Mets manager...maybe its the players and not the manager?
10/20/2014 7:37 PM
◂ Prev 12
A Different Hall of Fame Argument Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.