1986 WAR question Topic

Posted by AlCheez on 1/21/2015 12:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/21/2015 11:02:00 AM (view original):
Yes, I agree. I don't see how he's possibly better, or equal. But in the same way where a pitcher with a 1.10 WHIP could be obviously worse than one with a 1.15 WHIP. Or 20 wins to 18 wins. Or a 3.00 ERA to a 3.15 ERA. Doesn't mean the stat itself is trash.
I'm not anti-WAR, but there's a big difference between all these stats you're talking about and a metric like WAR.  These other stats are simply quantitative measures.  They don't offer any particular inherent judgment they just are.  If pitcher A had a 1.10 WHIP and B had a 1.15, that actually happened, there's no disputing it.  What value you assign, if any, to that happening is up to you.  There's nothing about WHIP that's inherently meant to say Pitcher A > Pitcher B.

WAR, on the other hand, tries to take all the base quantitative measures and quantify the overall value of a player.  So if those comparisons consistently don't pass the smell test, then that's potentially a big deal.

I understand. I would argue that anyone who would use WAR as "See! This says this guy is better! He must be better." is kinda dumb. 

WAR is also something that "actually happened." It does try to evaluate the overall value of a player, you're right, and the formula is much more complex than WHIP or ERA. But it's still using data based on things that actually happened to figure that out. 

In the same way that most players with a lower WHIP are better than those with a higher WHIP, players with a higher WAR are better than those with a lower WAR.
1/21/2015 2:09 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/21/2015 12:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/21/2015 10:46:00 AM (view original):
Another thing to consider - Higuera faced Boston twice in 86, and Clemens faced Milwaukee twice. Clemens won those two games against Milwaukee, allowing 1 run in 18 innings. Higuera never got the opportunity to face Milwaukee, but did have to pitch against Boston. Maybe that adds to it.
Looking at the BR calculations, it looks like Higuera faced tougher offenses (RA9opp was slightly higher), in front of a worse defense (RA9def was lower), in tougher ballparks (PPFp was higher).

The average pitcher pitching against the same offenses, in front of the same defenses, and in the same ballparks as Higuera would have allowed an estimated 5.35 RA9. Compared to his actual RA9 of 3.04, Higuera was 63 runs better than average, 88 runs better than replacement.

Compared to Clemens RA9 of 2.73, the average pitcher (same offenses, same defenses, same ballparks) gives up an estimated 4.82 RA9, making him 58 runs better than average and 83 runs better than replacement.

It certainly isn't perfect, but it isn't ridiculous to say that those two had similar seasons, relative runs allowed, when you account for the quality of their opponents, the skill of the defenses behind them, and the ballparks they pitched in.
I have a problem with measuring defenses in 1986.  I struggle with it now, and we're much better at measuring that than we were 30 years ago.  
1/21/2015 2:11 PM
Sure, I get that. But, even unadjusted for defense/ballpark/opponent, Clemens allowed 77 runs in ~250 IP. Higuera allowed 84 runs in ~250 IP. Knowing that bWAR for pitchers is based only on runs allowed and IP, it isn't outrageous to say that they had similar seasons.
1/21/2015 2:35 PM (edited)
As far as runs scored, 7 runs over a course of a season isn't a huge amount.  And if baseballreference doesn't look at other statistics aside from runs allowed when determining pitcher WAR, like baserunners allowed, etc then you have to look past the statistic in determining how well the pitcher pitched.
1/21/2015 2:23 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/21/2015 2:09:00 PM (view original):
Yes, I agree. I don't see how he's possibly better, or equal. But in the same way where a pitcher with a 1.10 WHIP could be obviously worse than one with a 1.15 WHIP. Or 20 wins to 18 wins. Or a 3.00 ERA to a 3.15 ERA. Doesn't mean the stat itself is trash.
I'm not anti-WAR, but there's a big difference between all these stats you're talking about and a metric like WAR.  These other stats are simply quantitative measures.  They don't offer any particular inherent judgment they just are.  If pitcher A had a 1.10 WHIP and B had a 1.15, that actually happened, there's no disputing it.  What value you assign, if any, to that happening is up to you.  There's nothing about WHIP that's inherently meant to say Pitcher A > Pitcher B.

WAR, on the other hand, tries to take all the base quantitative measures and quantify the overall value of a player.  So if those comparisons consistently don't pass the smell test, then that's potentially a big deal.

I understand. I would argue that anyone who would use WAR as "See! This says this guy is better! He must be better." is kinda dumb. 

WAR is also something that "actually happened." It does try to evaluate the overall value of a player, you're right, and the formula is much more complex than WHIP or ERA. But it's still using data based on things that actually happened to figure that out. 

In the same way that most players with a lower WHIP are better than those with a higher WHIP, players with a higher WAR are better than those with a lower WAR.
I'm with you on anyone using WAR as definitive - but the point is that WAR does presume to establish who was actually the better player, or rather who provided the most value.

And, no, I'm sorry - WAR is not something that actually happened.  Your last sentence is true - it's BASED on what actually happened.  A player with a 1.100 WHIP gave hits/walks at a ratio of 1.1 per innings pitched.  That's indisputable.  WAR is taking a bunch of indisputable things that actually happened, and using a formula to assign them a value (wins) that may or may not be valid.  If WAR actually happened, there wouldn't be competing formulas that calculate it.

My point is that if WHIP, or ERA, or wins or whatever basic stat you want to pull out doesn't provide you real insight into whether Player A is better than Player B, it's not a problem with the stat itself, the stat just might not be that useful.  If WAR doesn't pass the smell test, the stat itself could actually be ****.  (Again, I'm not arguing that it is.)
1/21/2015 2:25 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/21/2015 2:24:00 PM (view original):
As far as runs scored, 7 runs over a course of a season isn't a huge amount.  And if baseballreference doesn't look at other statistics aside from runs allowed when determining pitcher WAR, like baserunners allowed, etc then you have to look past the statistic in determining how well the pitcher pitched.
If you believe that "how well a pitcher pitched," is measured by more than just how many runs did he allow, then, sure, you probably want to use something other than bWAR for micro analysis (which of these two very similar seasons was better). fWAR is better for that and both are fine for getting a big picture view.
1/21/2015 2:29 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/21/2015 2:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/21/2015 2:24:00 PM (view original):
If you believe that "how well a pitcher pitched," is measured by more than just how many runs did he allow, then, sure, you probably want to use something other than bWAR for micro analysis (which of these two very similar seasons was better). fWAR is better for that and both are fine for getting a big picture view.
Are you describing "baseball reference" = bWAR and "fangraphs" = fWAR?
1/21/2015 2:32 PM
Yeah.
1/21/2015 2:34 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 1/21/2015 2:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/21/2015 2:09:00 PM (view original):

I'm with you on anyone using WAR as definitive - but the point is that WAR does presume to establish who was actually the better player, or rather who provided the most value.

And, no, I'm sorry - WAR is not something that actually happened.  Your last sentence is true - it's BASED on what actually happened.  A player with a 1.100 WHIP gave hits/walks at a ratio of 1.1 per innings pitched.  That's indisputable.  WAR is taking a bunch of indisputable things that actually happened, and using a formula to assign them a value (wins) that may or may not be valid.  If WAR actually happened, there wouldn't be competing formulas that calculate it.

My point is that if WHIP, or ERA, or wins or whatever basic stat you want to pull out doesn't provide you real insight into whether Player A is better than Player B, it's not a problem with the stat itself, the stat just might not be that useful.  If WAR doesn't pass the smell test, the stat itself could actually be ****.  (Again, I'm not arguing that it is.)
WAR is a good jumping off point when comparing players. It does essentially try to take everything that happened and then assign overall values to players. It's essentially a very knowledgeable opinion on who is better, there is a lot of data involved. But there have been plenty of times when I thought it was incorrect, and this is one of those times.

That said, as BL has mentioned, there is another "opinion" on fangraphs, which says that clearly Clemens was better. I've noticed that fangraphs passes "the smell test" more often for me.
1/21/2015 2:36 PM
Don't disagree with any of that. 

Just saying that if WHIP doesn't consistently, accurately tell you that Pitcher A > Pitcher B, it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with WHIP.  WHIP doesn't inherently seek to answer that question, it just documents something that happened, we assign whatever value to that happening we deem appropriate.  WAR does seek to answer the A> B question, it assigns the value in it's formula, so if it's getting it wrong regularly, that would mean the stat itself was bad.

1/21/2015 2:46 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 1/21/2015 2:46:00 PM (view original):
Don't disagree with any of that. 

Just saying that if WHIP doesn't consistently, accurately tell you that Pitcher A > Pitcher B, it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with WHIP.  WHIP doesn't inherently seek to answer that question, it just documents something that happened, we assign whatever value to that happening we deem appropriate.  WAR does seek to answer the A> B question, it assigns the value in it's formula, so if it's getting it wrong regularly, that would mean the stat itself was bad.

Eh, WAR (the BR version) is just a fancy way of measuring runs allowed. It adjusts for defense, opponents, and ballparks, so you might have a problem with the individual adjustments, but it's really just runs allowed all dressed up. I don't know if it can actually be wrong regularly. Even in the Clemens/Higuera example, both pitchers pitched about the same amount of innings and gave up about the same of runs.
1/21/2015 2:55 PM
In a fairly loose view they pitched about the same amount of innings and gave up about the same amount of runs I guess...  Realistically, Higuera gave up 12.5% more runs/inning than Clemens, which is not an insubstantial difference.  OTOH, even with sample sizes in the neighborhood of 250 IP, you would have to say that that is easily within the likely error.  I'm not even discussing error in the sense of season-to-season variance, but simply the difference in runs you might give up while pitching very similarly with different luck.  So maybe they weren't really all that different in terms of run prevention...
1/22/2015 1:24 PM
If you allow close to 3 more baserunners per 9 innings, I'd argue you're a little lucky to only allow 7 more runs for the whole season.
1/22/2015 1:30 PM
If we're going to dismiss 12.5% as "easily within the likely error", I guess no single baseball season is worth noting.   They're all just small sample sizes that are easily within the likely error.

44 homers are pretty much the same as 50.
.290 is pretty much the same as .330.
And, really, 95 wins isn't that much different than 84.

Not much point in playing the season other than for money.
1/22/2015 1:40 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/22/2015 1:30:00 PM (view original):
If you allow close to 3 more baserunners per 9 innings, I'd argue you're a little lucky to only allow 7 more runs for the whole season.
If the defense behind Clemens was significantly better than the defense behind Higuera, and the opponents Higuera faced were better hitters than the opponents Clemens faced, and the ballparks Higuera pitched in were better hitters parks, it could be argued that the extra baserunners and extra runs allowed were (at least in part) because of those factors.

That's essentially what their bWAR numbers are saying.

In reality, the outcomes were similar (hence the similar bWARs) but Higuera got a lot of help from luck (hence the fWAR spread).
1/22/2015 2:07 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
1986 WAR question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.