Yankees & Arod's Bonuses Topic

It would be difficult to come off looking worse than Arod in this whole Biogenesis deal, but the Yankees sure are trying.

Good luck to them but, unless the marketing contract (which is separate from the standard UPC) contains good behavior and reputation obligations, this is a long shot.
1/26/2015 2:33 PM
I'd absolutely try if I'm the Yankees. The idea was that the Yankees could market A-Rod chasing these milestones down, and they certainly won't be doing that.
1/26/2015 2:40 PM
The idea isn't going to work. That doesn't make the contract voidable, the terms are the terms. If they don't want to pay the performance bonuses, don't play him. Or release him.
1/26/2015 2:51 PM
Don't think they have a chance of winning that one.

That said, they should just go ahead and release him now.  It's obvious they want absolutely nothing to do with him.  He has no position to play, and he's going to suck anyway.

1/26/2015 2:52 PM
No way can they release him until he stinks.    Would be total suck if they cut him loose, paid him 60m for the next three years, he hooks up with some AL team and outperforms the Yanks 3B for the next three seasons.
1/26/2015 3:01 PM
Which given the current options on the roster, lets be honest, frankly isn't that big of a longshot.
1/26/2015 7:50 PM
No, it isn't.   IF A-Rod stays healthy, I don't think .250 with 20 homers is out of the question.    And that's probably top-end production from Headley. 

Yankees fans want no part of A-Rod's grand return to NY.  But, if he's the best 3B option, he's the best 3B option.   And, if you're going to pay him, you might as well play him.    If he comes out and hits .198 with 3 homers in April/May, he's justifying a decision to release him.    Then, if he goes off somewhere else, the Yanks fans have an even better reason to hate him.
1/26/2015 8:21 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I'd love for you to be right but that's 2009-2010 type production.    Normal drop-off for 5 years at the end of a career and a year of inactivity would seem closer to my numbers. 
1/26/2015 9:47 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/26/2015 8:21:00 PM (view original):
No, it isn't.   IF A-Rod stays healthy, I don't think .250 with 20 homers is out of the question.    And that's probably top-end production from Headley. 

Yankees fans want no part of A-Rod's grand return to NY.  But, if he's the best 3B option, he's the best 3B option.   And, if you're going to pay him, you might as well play him.    If he comes out and hits .198 with 3 homers in April/May, he's justifying a decision to release him.    Then, if he goes off somewhere else, the Yanks fans have an even better reason to hate him.
IF A-Rod stays healthy, I don't think .250 with 20 homers is out of the question.    And that's probably top-end production from Headley.

Maybe.  But with Headley, you get defense as well.  39/40 year old ARod is going to be a defensive liability at third.
1/26/2015 9:58 PM
You're right; Headley is a very good defender, though not nearly as good as he was a few years ago.  But at some point you just need offense, and the Yankees seem to be around that point.  They were 13th in the AL in runs scored last year, and they haven''t done anything to get younger or more talented so far this offseason.  You almost have to wonder if some people in that front office are secretly counting on decent production from A-Rod in 2015.

On the recent championship Heat teams, Allen Iverson in his prime would have been a liability.  On the late '90s-early '00s '76ers, he carried an otherwise defensive teams to several Eastern Conference Finals and one NBA Finals.  Even though one player can't as easily carry the offensive burden for a baseball team, I think there is a very good parallel here.  The more badly your team needs to score, the more you can give up to find that offense.
1/26/2015 10:43 PM
But Headley will surely end up with more WAR than Arod.
1/26/2015 10:56 PM
I totally agree with you, was a poke at WAR on my part. Should have been in sarcasm font.
1/27/2015 4:46 AM
1|2|3...10 Next ▸
Yankees & Arod's Bonuses Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.