The Babe - In Color Topic

Thought this was pretty cool...

1/29/2015 12:50 AM
wait...they had color back then?
1/29/2015 3:08 PM

No, they've done it digitally - kinda like they've done some of the old movies lately.  I've even got a Three Stooges DVD where they "colorized" three of their short movies.  Talk about weird looking...

1/29/2015 4:16 PM

Looks like he's wearing a gardening glove.
1/29/2015 5:30 PM
Very interesting. He's in the dirt near what appears to be the right field sidewall. The fans are all sitting, so there's no play in progress. The top of the stands behind him look like he's in Yankee Stadium. This is confirmed by the fact he's wearing a home uniform. Since the photographer is on the field and the stands are full, it must have been shot just before game time. I wonder if it might have been a promo shot for one of his late-season pitching performances. He was 5-0 as a pitcher for the Yankees in September games.
1/30/2015 1:30 PM
Posted by doubletruck on 1/30/2015 1:30:00 PM (view original):
Very interesting. He's in the dirt near what appears to be the right field sidewall. The fans are all sitting, so there's no play in progress. The top of the stands behind him look like he's in Yankee Stadium. This is confirmed by the fact he's wearing a home uniform. Since the photographer is on the field and the stands are full, it must have been shot just before game time. I wonder if it might have been a promo shot for one of his late-season pitching performances. He was 5-0 as a pitcher for the Yankees in September games.
Pretty sure the Yanks started wearing pinstripes at home before Babe arrived.

Current:

1/30/2015 1:36 PM

FWIW, he pitched in Boston on 9/28/30.   If the properties are right in the photo, http://cloudfront.viewmixed.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Babe-Ruth-Pitching-Colorized.jpg, I'm guessing that's it.   In 20-21, his pitching appearances were at home.

1/30/2015 1:54 PM
Posted by doubletruck on 1/30/2015 1:30:00 PM (view original):
He's wearing a road jersey, likely from the late 20's.  Their road uniforms from that era said "YANKEES" instead of "NEW YORK".
1/30/2015 2:42 PM
The road jerseys said Yankees between '27-'30, so if that eBay photo is right, '30 would make sense.  He only made one official pitching appearance for the Yankees during the time their road jerseys said Yankees on the front, and that was in 1930.
1/30/2015 3:34 PM (edited)
I'm guessing doubletruck finds it less interesting now. 

FWIW, I think it might be Boston when I first saw it because of the obstructed view seats.   
1/30/2015 3:43 PM
Don't find it less interesting at all, Mike. My guesses were based entirely on what I saw in the photo. It looks to me like you did nail it. It was obvious it wasn't from his early years with the Yanks, because he looks too old.  I didn't know that the Yanks wore their nickname on road uniforms in those days. Interesting post by skunk, too.
1/30/2015 5:45 PM
Mike: I just looked at your profile. Are you 18 or are you now 30? Twelve years on WIS. You're averaging only 7 teams a year, but you're a Hall of Famer when it comes to the MLB forum.
1/30/2015 5:53 PM

No need to get all pissy.   I was just pointing out that the Yanks have worn pinstripes at home for a long time.   Pre-Babe.    You detailed quite a bit and most of it was wrong.   It happens.    I just dug a little further to see when the Babe pitched for the Yanks on the road.   

As for my profile, I wouldn't look too much into it.  Several people had my username at one time and someone changed it as a joke.   I thought it was funny and left it.   I'm not old enough to have seen Babe wear pinstripes at home but I am old enough to know that the Yanks wear pinstripes at home at least for 40 years(hint hint).

1/30/2015 6:03 PM
Didn't mean to get pissy at all. I suspected the 18 age was a joke. 

Er, and the only thing I guessed wrong was that the photo was in Boston, and not in New York.
1/30/2015 6:37 PM (edited)
12 Next ▸
The Babe - In Color Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.