2017 HOF Ballot Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 11/23/2015 6:47:00 PM (view original):
The list of position players with 70+ WAR who are eligible but not in the Hall of Fame is very, very short:

Bagwell
Palmeiro
Grich
Trammell
Walker

Bonds, Rose (not eligible), Whitaker, Dahlen also have 70+ WAR.  I'd like the WAR stat more if I agreed with how it's calculated.
11/23/2015 6:56 PM
What do you not like about the calculation?
11/23/2015 6:59 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
such an angry little man
11/23/2015 7:30 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Tec, what exactly are you trying to achieve with your last 2 posts?  You're certainly not adding anything interesting or constructive to the conversation.
11/23/2015 8:40 PM
I'm pointing out the stupidity of using WAR to evaluate players.  It's BL's favorite stat and, as you know, he's an idiot.
11/23/2015 8:49 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/23/2015 6:59:00 PM (view original):
That oWar+dWar doesn't equal War, the positional adjustments for dWar, etc
11/23/2015 9:22 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 11/23/2015 9:22:00 PM (view original):
oWAR plus dWAR isn't supposed to equal WAR. oWAR stills gives defensive credit.
11/23/2015 9:54 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/23/2015 9:54:00 PM (view original):
That is part of the issue I have with the calculations.  Offense should be separate from defense.  Basketball separates offensive win shares from defensive win shares (for example).
11/23/2015 10:00 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/23/2015 8:49:00 PM (view original):
I'm pointing out the stupidity of using WAR to evaluate players.  It's BL's favorite stat and, as you know, he's an idiot.
Until you prove it, just yelling and screaming that it's stupid doesn't mean much.  Just a waste of your time.  But I guess your buddy Mike likes it.
11/23/2015 10:16 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 11/23/2015 10:00:00 PM (view original):
That is part of the issue I have with the calculations.  Offense should be separate from defense.  Basketball separates offensive win shares from defensive win shares (for example).
I don't think that's a fair comparison.  In effect, basketball doesn't require you to play the same position on offense and defense; that is, your PG doesn't necessarily have to guard the other team's PG if your team's 2-guard, or in a few cases even your SF, happens to be a better on-ball defender.  Moreover, you can move your best defenders around to play your opponent's most dangerous scorers so long as there isn't a substantial size mismatch.  You almost have to ignore offensive position in calculating defensive value, and vice versa, because in effect many guys are not playing the same position.  In baseball, you play where you play.  There is added offensive value to a guy who can play a premium defensive position and still hit.  The fact that you DON'T just add oWAR and dWAR to get WAR compensates back to avoid actually giving a guy double credit for playing SS.

You also have to keep in mind that WAR is wins above replacement, so if you're comparing between positions, you can and should expect replacement-level to look different.  You want oWAR not to consider position.  But do you really believe that if you take Jeter off SS and make him a LF he still carries the same offensive value, relative to a replacement-level player?  You think the average organization's next man up at SS and COF are going to hit the same?  Move Yadier Molina or Matt Wieters to 1B.  How's his bat look now?  But how does it play as a catcher?  Position absolutely factors into a player's offensive value.  That doesn't mean you bat the guy at a different spot in the lineup.  But a C, or a SS, or even a 2B who can slug .500+ is a pretty rare thing these days.  In fact, last year, of the 20 guys who did slug .500, exactly zero played at any of those 3 positions.  In fact, the highest SLG coming from C, SS, or 2B belonged to Buster Posey at .470, 38th best in baseball.  Would the 38th-best slugger in the game be a special player if he were a RF?  He'd be good.  Would he be perceived as the kind of star that Posey is?  Would he be as valuable?
11/23/2015 10:30 PM
Manny ain't getting in with his multiple failed steroid tests!
11/23/2015 10:58 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 11/23/2015 10:00:00 PM (view original):
If you just want offense without any positional adjustment, use wOBA or something similar. No need to use WAR for that.
11/23/2015 11:34 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 11/23/2015 10:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/23/2015 8:49:00 PM (view original):
Until you prove it, just yelling and screaming that it's stupid doesn't mean much.  Just a waste of your time.  But I guess your buddy Mike likes it.
It's the internet.   Do you think your last post was a valuable use of YOUR time?   Was my response a valuable use of MY time?   Additionally, regardless of how well thought out an opinion might be, do you think it's going to change anyone's opinion on the INTERNET?

Don't fall off your high horse.   You might damage your big brain that has full understanding of how the Internet is used.

As for tec's mockery of BL, yeah, it's sort of humorous.   BL repeatedly states that WAR isn't the be all to end all of stats but he ALWAYS falls back to it.  ALWAYS.  

11/24/2015 6:41 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
2017 HOF Ballot Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.