Is Bryce Harper playing hurt? Topic

Mick!!
Yeah, coach.
I had a dream that, one day, AL teams would have a player who only had to bat.
No ****? Hell, I'd put the ball in play 80-85% of the time easy if I didn't have to field!!
In my dream, there was one of those hit-only dudes who only put it in play 72% of the time and some clowns thought he should be in the HOF.
You're funny coach. Was he disabled or something? I mean, damn, all he had to do was swing 4-5 times a game. How tired could he be?
9/21/2016 9:31 PM
PSBL is about to mention **** stomping.
9/21/2016 9:51 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/21/2016 9:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 9/21/2016 9:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/21/2016 7:08:00 PM (view original):
I'm just waiting for tec to come and agree that Mantle didn't use the bat enough. Then the circle will be complete.
Don't try to drag me into your swirling vortex of stupidity.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not trying to drag you in. You usually come to Mike's defense on your own.

But it if you disagree that Mantle didn't use the bat enough, cool.
Please quote the post where I agreed or disagreed.

Thanks in advance.
9/21/2016 10:28 PM
Take your "I know you are but what am I?" nonsense back to the other thread(s).
9/21/2016 10:36 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/21/2016 3:33:00 PM (view original):
I don't know if it's selfish or not in softball, but in baseball, you're usually playing for more than just one run.

Situations where you need just one run are relatively rare, so it's almost always better to either walk or crush the ball than it is to hit a soft groundout.
This was your point in the sac fly argument too. The goal is always to get the run in from third base. As an Orioles fan, this ****** me off more than anything. They almost never bunt and I guarantee they lead the league with pop ups and strikeouts with a man on third and less than two outs (especially Mark Trumbo). Situational hitting is a gift, and they don't have it.

Yes, being able to crush homers is great, but even the best hit 50 a season. That leaves a lot of other at-bats. It's better in those situations to just put bat on ball and groundout to the right side or shoot one into the outfield for a sac fly than swing out of your shoes at every strike and hope it goes 500 feet.

That's why the term "productive out" was coined.
9/21/2016 10:42 PM
One run is always better than no runs. Except in BL Baseball.
9/21/2016 10:52 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/21/2016 10:28:00 PM (view original):
I'm just waiting for tec to come and agree that Mantle didn't use the bat enough. Then the circle will be complete.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
I'm assuming you (like anyone else with a brain) disagree with the statement, "Mantle didn't use the bat enough."

If that's wrong, my bad.
9/21/2016 11:51 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 9/21/2016 10:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/21/2016 3:33:00 PM (view original):
I don't know if it's selfish or not in softball, but in baseball, you're usually playing for more than just one run.

Situations where you need just one run are relatively rare, so it's almost always better to either walk or crush the ball than it is to hit a soft groundout.
This was your point in the sac fly argument too. The goal is always to get the run in from third base. As an Orioles fan, this ****** me off more than anything. They almost never bunt and I guarantee they lead the league with pop ups and strikeouts with a man on third and less than two outs (especially Mark Trumbo). Situational hitting is a gift, and they don't have it.

Yes, being able to crush homers is great, but even the best hit 50 a season. That leaves a lot of other at-bats. It's better in those situations to just put bat on ball and groundout to the right side or shoot one into the outfield for a sac fly than swing out of your shoes at every strike and hope it goes 500 feet.

That's why the term "productive out" was coined.
This is a beautiful argument, except you're dead wrong. The Orioles have the 4th-fewest men left on base in the American League. Only Boston and Texas have a larger proportion of their runners who reach base score, and Texas is ahead by a miniscule margin (39.23% to 39.21% of runners). The Orioles don't have a problem with cashing in baserunners at all. They're one of the best teams in the league at it. The problem is with getting runners on base in the first place. That might also improve if strikeouts went down, I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying that your argument that swinging hard results in runners left on base is, at least based on the evidence you suggested, entirely unfounded.
9/22/2016 12:30 AM
Dayum. Dahs slinging logic.
9/22/2016 7:32 AM
So Dahs, WAR says that Trumbo is marginally better than replacement. Do you agree?
9/22/2016 7:40 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/21/2016 11:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 9/21/2016 10:28:00 PM (view original):

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
I'm assuming you (like anyone else with a brain) disagree with the statement, "Mantle didn't use the bat enough."

If that's wrong, my bad.
You've got this weird thing for me, trying to drag me into your arguments with other people and "telling" me what I think. When I've never even commented on the topic at hand.

What's up with that?
9/22/2016 7:43 AM
Hey, Mick.
Yeah, coach.
You haven't swung the bat even once in your first two plate appearances.
Well, coach, I was out til 9 AM and this was a 1 PM start. I'm still drunk. I can't even see the ball. But I'm starting to sober up. I'll take a couple of cuts next AB, OK?
9/22/2016 9:21 AM
Coach.
Yeah, Mick.
I've been thinking about that dream you had. Players didn't even have to bring a glove to the game?
Well, it was just one for each AL team.
And there was one that many thought should be in the HOF?
I wouldn't say "many" but there were some.
I guess that dude hit like 500-600 homers.
Just 309.
Oh, his career was cut short like Koufax.
No, he played into his 40s.
Ha. That's one crazyass dream. You must have been ****** up when you went to bed. That **** ain't never gonna happen.
9/22/2016 11:05 AM
Be fair. He could have hit plenty more home runs. He just didn't think swinging the bat was a good idea at the time.
9/22/2016 11:13 AM
Posted by sjpoker on 9/22/2016 7:32:00 AM (view original):
Dayum. Dahs slinging logic.
No, he's applying a (partially) unrelated statistic to the example. The example was about driving in a runner from third with less than two outs. Dahs brings up driving in ALL baserunners (including those who get to trot home ahead of a homer).

If he brought the stat regarding scoring runners from third with less than two out, and compared it to the rest of the league, THAT would be bringing logic. As it is, he brought a tangential stat that could be misinterpreted as "reason".

Kinda like the media does...
9/22/2016 11:36 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Is Bryce Harper playing hurt? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.