"Today's Game Era" HOF Ballot Topic

Whatever. I think Selig gets in, for the reasons I mentioned in my 10/4 post.

PSBL's proven himself to not be the best judge of HOF worthiness.
12/2/2016 3:40 PM
I definitely think he gets in. Just don't think he belongs.
12/2/2016 3:47 PM
Well, OK then. Thanks for your contribution to the discussion.
12/2/2016 4:45 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/2/2016 1:20:00 PM (view original):
The HOF is intended to honor all people who have made a significant contribution to the game, whether on the field or off.

It's funny that you have such low benchmarks for players, but such lofty standards for non-players. Funny in a stupidly hypocritical way.
What are your standards based on? BL's player benchmarks seem to me to be roughly 10-15% of eligible players, which account for about 5% of all players. So basically about 1% of all Major League players or slightly less.

If you let in 1% of commissioners we'd be more likely to have 0 than 1 in the Hall.

I think the argument here is that there should be some sort of standards for any position. I don't really agree - I think, by the significant nature of the position, every commissioner should be in the Hall. Period. Shouldn't even be an election process.
12/2/2016 5:01 PM
Personally, I'd select McGwire, Selig, Steinbrenner, Piniella, and Schuerholz. My suspicion is that the real list won't involve Mac and may not include Schuerholz either.
12/2/2016 5:06 PM
I also wouldn't be shocked if they put Baines in.
12/2/2016 5:06 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/2/2016 2:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/2/2016 2:06:00 PM (view original):
He accomplished something that no other commissioner had done before . . . peace between MLB and the player's union. That's a noteworthy accomplishment.
I see it differently. Selig had a direct role in the 94 stoppage, was directly involved in the owners collusion in the 80s, and allowed the steroid era to happen. The fact that he didn't also pile another work stoppage on top of that isn't enough to overcome it.
And he stole the Pilots from Seattle!!
12/2/2016 7:48 PM
Terrible sports town. Enjoy your MLS team.
12/2/2016 8:32 PM
Yeah, it's not like the Seahawks have the best home/road splits of any team in the NFL or anything...
12/2/2016 8:36 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The Seahawks had 4 straight losing seasons from 2008/9-2011/12 and still had the loudest home crowd in the NFL. Since the start of the Holmgren era in 1999 they've looked like mostly a good team, but even that is massively buoyed by how good their fans have been - they're a losing team on the road during that span. Pretty sure they're 2-1-3 on the road this year and I know they're undefeated at home. Even over the last 4 years, while they've been perceived as such a great team, they're 19-13 on the road, which is good, but not great. The fans make them seem better than they are.
12/2/2016 9:14 PM
You're right about the Mariners, though. Quietest baseball game I've ever been to.
12/2/2016 9:14 PM
The stadium design is conducive to creating noise. The fans feed off that. That said, being loud doesn't necessarily mean they're a great fan base.

Nonetheless, if I give you that one, they have proven to support their MLS team far more than their MLB or NBA team.
12/2/2016 9:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/2/2016 8:58:00 PM (view original):
Who cares? OK City is enjoying the "Sonics" more than Seattle ever did. Even when the Mariners win, you can hear a pin drop in the 4th inning.

Wait til the Seahawks aren't winning. People will give tickets away. The "fans" will wear their Bierkenstocks to Starbucks and drink their lattes on game day.
We had a quasi, temporary boycott of Starbucks after the Sonics moved to OKC. Now there are literally 4 Starbucks within a half mile radius in my hometown so our commitment level can certainly be questioned.

The Huskies are starting to gather a following again after a 15 year run of futility. Speaking of 15 years, that's how long it's been since the Mariners made the playoffs, the longest drought in MLB, and not sure they're any closer, even with the addition of Segura. He won't hit at Safeco. Only Ichiro, Edgar, & Boone have!

If Piniella gets elected on the Today's Game ballot, it will be a party in Seattle. He is a God here in the PNW!
12/3/2016 3:19 AM (edited)
Why does supporting their MLS team make them a bad sports town in your mind? It's the best fan base in MLS. That's a sport. Not sure how you think that proves they're a bad sports town...
12/3/2016 1:38 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
"Today's Game Era" HOF Ballot Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.