Tim Tebow Topic

However, I'd like to hear an interview where he doesn't sound like he just finished a marathon and connects every sentence with "and".    Goddam.
3/22/2012 2:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/22/2012 2:08:00 PM (view original):
As I said earlier, I could understand not wanting Tebow as your #1.    But there's nothing about his presence on your roster that makes your team worse. 
Exactly right.  Most Jet fans blame the season on Sanchez (Im not one of them) and want him replaced.  Well guess what?  They aint replacing him any time soon, he's your QB like it or Not!!

Most of those same fans think Tebow was the Jets mangement's answer to replacing Sanchez.  If this was the case it would be a disaster!  Out the the pan and into the fire.

But its not the case.  Tebow isn't replacing Sanchez or even competing against him.  He's here to help him.  To take some of the burden off him.  To mix up the offense and the play callling.

You actually said it PERFECT!  "there's nothing about his presence on your roster that makes your team worse"

It sames like there is alot of upside potential when the only cost is a 4th round pick and a few dollars.
3/22/2012 2:20 PM (edited)
They don't have 2 QB.   Sanchez is the starter, Tebow will have some specialized plays.    If you think of it as a two TE set or a spread or a heavy package, it's really no different.  Just different personnel running a play.

That said, Rex seems to enjoy tweaking Sanchez.  He can turn it into a circus in a single game or even a press conference.
3/22/2012 2:41 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 3/22/2012 2:37:00 PM (view original):
What's the old saying? If you have two quarterbacks, you don't have any.

Sanchez sucks, Tebow sucks.

How successful do you think the wildcat was for Miami?
You dont get it.

Also Jets have a way better team than Miami had, this may just make them better.

Miami sucked wildcat or no wildcat

You dont get it.
3/22/2012 2:49 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/22/2012 2:41:00 PM (view original):
They don't have 2 QB.   Sanchez is the starter, Tebow will have some specialized plays.    If you think of it as a two TE set or a spread or a heavy package, it's really no different.  Just different personnel running a play.

That said, Rex seems to enjoy tweaking Sanchez.  He can turn it into a circus in a single game or even a press conference.
+1

Thats the way I see it, but who really knows.  We will see.
3/22/2012 2:50 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/22/2012 2:41:00 PM (view original):

From a total X's and O's standpoint, I completely agree with all of that, but Tebow, through no fault of his own, brings a whole lot with him that you have to deal with that can create problems.  There will be a media crunch around him and intense scrutiny of everything that happens with him.  There will be a vocal minority of fans that will think Tebow should be the guy and will let everyone know about it, and their numbers will probably only increase if Sanchez doesn't play dramatically better.  And you've got a locker room situation that didn't seem to be the most stable to begin with.

In the right environment, something like this makes a ton of sense, but I can see why people would question whether the Jets would be the right environment.
3/22/2012 2:54 PM
Here's the stupid part of this move, for those (i.e. primetime) who think Sanchez and Tebow can nicely co-exist in Jet-land.

Sanchez is an emotionally insecure QB. 

If you don't think that having the one QB who the entire NFL world talked about in 2011, and who has a nearly cult-like following, standing on the sidelines waiting to come into the game is not going to have a negative effect on Sanchez, then you're living in a different reality from the rest of us.
3/22/2012 3:04 PM
If Sanchez is that mentally weak, the Jets will be better served finding that out now.    How many "elite", playoff-quality QB, would be concerned with Tebow standing on the sidelines?    Shouldn't teams strive to have playoff-quality QB?

AC, I've already said Rex could turn it into a circus.   Or he can make it work.   Fans don't call plays or set line-ups.   As long as Rex doesn't bench Sanchez during a bad game or start "It's an open competition"/"we evaluate each position every week" discussions, there won't be a problem.   Tebow isn't going to yap to the media about more playing time.    The Sanchez/Ryan relationship is the potential problem not Tebow's presence.
3/22/2012 3:12 PM
I essentially would agree with you that the root issue is the Sanchez/Ryan relationship - and really Ryan's leadership in general.  The presence of Tebow is just one more mine in that particular field.
3/22/2012 3:16 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/22/2012 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Here's the stupid part of this move, for those (i.e. primetime) who think Sanchez and Tebow can nicely co-exist in Jet-land.

Sanchez is an emotionally insecure QB. 

If you don't think that having the one QB who the entire NFL world talked about in 2011, and who has a nearly cult-like following, standing on the sidelines waiting to come into the game is not going to have a negative effect on Sanchez, then you're living in a different reality from the rest of us.
Look I could be wrong and you may be right but I just dont think thats the way its gonna be.  I know it sounds dumb as they are both QBs but I look at them playing 2 different positions and not competing at all.

Look they were 8-8 and not even really that good.  Sanchez would have to play better to be considered terrible.  Tebow being here can only shake things up.  If this makes them worse, who cares.  Worse than not making the playoffs??  But if it makes them better ...........

We ill see
3/22/2012 3:25 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 3/22/2012 3:16:00 PM (view original):
I essentially would agree with you that the root issue is the Sanchez/Ryan relationship - and really Ryan's leadership in general.  The presence of Tebow is just one more mine in that particular field.

Ryan is a conundrum for me.  I like him.  I like what he does.  I like the fact that I know he's going to do his best to compete every week.  That he's giving it everything he has.   However, I'm not sure I'd like him coaching MY team.    Whether it's the predictions, the snipping with fans, the tweaking of Sanchez, the foot fetish, etc, etc, it's always something with him.   Maybe it's good for the players that so much of the focus is on him.   Or maybe it's not. 

3/22/2012 3:33 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/22/2012 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by deanod on 3/22/2012 2:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/22/2012 12:05:00 PM (view original):
It always comes back to the Patriots with these damn massholes.
We have the GOAT coach and the GOAT QB, hard to not talk about them 24/7
Yet somehow I manage to do it.
You're cut from a different cloth bro, you can't hold the rest of the world up to the standards of MikeT23
3/22/2012 3:47 PM
Al mentioned the media circus around Tebow. Perhaps Rex brought Tebow in to a) get the media focus on Tebow and off any of the team's warts, and b) get the media away from Sanchez so he can focus more on doing his job and less on his image
3/22/2012 4:05 PM
Mike....   You are making it sound as if I am upset with the Tebow signing on it's own.  Now, while I would rather have anyone else but Tim Tebow as my team's QB, I do realize that this particular signing was not the "Worst move of all time".  However, when you couple a few things together, you see why Jet fans are disappointed with management on this team.

Dating back to the early 1980's, the Jets have been mismanaged.  We took Johnny "Lam" Jones with the 2nd overall pick in the 1980 draft at WR and made him the first million dollar a year player.  Art Monk was the 2nd WR taken in that draft.  In 1983, we took Ken O'Brien at QB with our first pick.  2 picks later, Miami took Dan Marino.  In 1985, we took Al Toon with the 7th overall pick.  7 picks later, the 49ers took Jerry Rice.  In 1990, with the 2nd overall pick, we took Blair Thomas, and 12 picks later Emmitt Smith was taken.  This was a trend.  There are many more gaffes.  Too9 many more to even start to scratch the surface of why Jets fans show up, and usually boo at the NFL draft.

Fast forwarding to this season.....

We slide from AFC Championship game in 2009 & 2010 to out of playoffs in 2011.  And we were lucky to be 8-8.  We were down 21-10 to the Chargers in the 2nd half and came back to win.  We had Dallas gift us a game, etc....    Mark Sanchez had 8 lost fumbles.  Eight.  E  I  G  H  T.  One every other game.  He also had 18 Interceptions.  SIX of those turnovers went for 6 points immediately on that play.  After assessing why we slipped so badly, management decided to not aggressively pursue Peyton Manning.  JT can claim all he wants that Peyton would not go to the Jets, and not that the Jets didn't try to get him.  The fact remains that it was a lackluster effort AT BEST to get someone that talented.  Someone who is guaranteed to IMMEDIATELY fill a HUGE need.  They dropped the ball in NYC.  Bigtime.  Then they REWARD Mark Sanchez for having his most mistake laden season to date by extending his contract and giving him a raise.  You said that contracts are not guaranteed.  True.  Not this one.  Here is an excerpt from NFL.com that explains what the contract was and what it effectively did...  

"All told, Sanchez will get $20.5 million guaranteed compared to $17.75 million of non-guaranteed money over the next two years. It's a "measly" raise of $2.75 million."

It was a raise....  and a guarantee of his money for 2 years.  If he gets hit and injured for life on the 2nd play of the season, his signing bonus & salaries for 2012 & 2013 would be GUARANTEED.  To be fair, his signing bonus was already guaranteed.  But his salary was not.  Now it was raised, and guaranteed.   So....  for being the major reason we failed, the Jets saw fit to guarantee, extend and raise the contract of a below average NFL quarterback.

Then............    rather than upset our pouty, insecure, below average NFL QB that we just extended and made more wealthy & financially secure by getting a true NFL quarterback, we decided it was better to make a move that was (to quote Shakespeare) full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.  We traded for Tim Tebow.  who will likely never throw more than a dozen passes in a season for the Jets, but rather run a quirky fad that has not caught on anywhere because IT DOESNT WORK.  It was a MEDIA MOVE.  It was done to distract the masses from realizing that the Giants win Super Bowls, and the Jets dont win anything, but rather make the headlines only when they trade for a QB who most of the NFL world thinks is inept at passing (A pretty key component for an NFL QB).

Yeah.  We're bitter.  Angry and bitter fans.  Been that way for DECADES.  You called me a retard.  If that were true, I'd fit in perfectly with NY Jets management.  However, I am competent.  I am not stupid.  I do my job well.  I would stick out like a sore thumb in management on the Jets.
3/22/2012 4:27 PM
Posted by eschwartz67 on 3/21/2012 6:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mudbone1969 on 3/21/2012 5:20:00 PM (view original):
Pro - I get to laugh at cresticle in perpetuity because his beloved Jets are a laughingstock now.  There is no debating this.  Pluswhise, he's shown he's not a true fan.

Con - I like Elliot and he doesn't deserve to have this happen to his beloved team.  I'll still make fun of him as well, but I won't enjoy it as much as shitting on cresticle.
Thanks Tony.  No one deserves to have their beloved team trade anything more valuable than a ping pong ball for Tim Tebow.  And for those who are questioning why Jets fans are upset with this.....  Here is why.... 

It's not an isolated incident.  It is a series of ineptitude.

1)  We dont even try to sign Peyton Manning when he became available, even though our defense is basically solid, the run game is solid, we have Plaxico & Santonio as wideouts and Keller at TE which is solid, yet only finished 8-8 with a 3rd year QB who wasn't that dazzling in years 1 & 2, and definitely regressed year 3.

2)  We, after realizing Peyton wasn't coming here even though his BROTHER plays in our city, then REWARD the reason we were 8-8 with an extension and a raise.

3)  We then trade something more valuable than a ping pong ball for the most inaccruate QB of our generation (not acceptable even if he is only going to play Wildcat and goal-line formations)

I dont know how else to say this other than TIM TEBOW BEING ON YOUR ROSTER CANNOT IMPROVE IT UNLESS HE WAS REPLACING ME.
You posted this, no?

Last sentence.
3/22/2012 4:38 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...15 Next ▸
Tim Tebow Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.