Seahawks! SUPER BOWL Champs! Topic

Dilfer and Russell Wilson both won rings on the strength of historically dominant defenses.  How dominant is that defense when $20+ million of cap room is devoted to the QB?
12/9/2014 1:45 PM
It's hilarious to compare Wilson to Dilfer.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DilfTr00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsRu00.htm

Take a look at Dilfer's best season and compare it to any of Wilson's, by any metric and see if you don't feel ******* stupid for making the comparison.

Peyton Manning also only has one Super Bowl, as does Aaron Rodgers... are they just Trent Dilfer, reincarnated?
12/13/2014 8:13 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 12/9/2014 10:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kcden on 12/8/2014 9:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 12/8/2014 6:59:00 PM (view original):
I know this is an extremely unpopular opinion here in Seattle, but is anyone else worried that the Seahawks are about to give $20 million+/year to a very good running QB whose ability to escape the pocket and throw accurately masks the fact that he can't throw from the pocket?
Paying the best QB in franchise history?  Not worried about that in the least.
That's not a high bar to clear.
Hasselbeck was a pretty damn good QB. Certainly not elite, but he would be the best QB in the history of a number of franchises, I believe.
12/13/2014 8:23 PM
Which ones?
12/14/2014 6:35 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/14/2014 6:35:00 AM (view original):
Which ones?
First that jumps to mind is Jacksonville. Houston Texans. Tampa. Not any teams with big name guys in their history. I could be off base on that; I haven't looked to see if I was missing someone from those types of teams.
12/14/2014 10:43 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by kcden on 12/14/2014 10:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/14/2014 6:35:00 AM (view original):
Which ones?
First that jumps to mind is Jacksonville. Houston Texans. Tampa. Not any teams with big name guys in their history. I could be off base on that; I haven't looked to see if I was missing someone from those types of teams.

Jax and Houston are relatively new teams.    Tampa has had some really good QB but they were good with other teams. 

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/the-32-history-of-buccaneersx2019-quarterbacks-20130901/

So I'd probably give you those three but Tampa is the only legit example.

12/15/2014 8:11 AM
Forgot about Mark Brunell.   He's on par with Hasselbeck.     Houston hung their hat on David Carr for so long that no one else has had a long enough career to compare.
12/15/2014 8:21 AM
Posted by examinerebb on 12/9/2014 1:45:00 PM (view original):
Dilfer and Russell Wilson both won rings on the strength of historically dominant defenses.  How dominant is that defense when $20+ million of cap room is devoted to the QB?
That's just a dumbshit comparison. One small common denominator, "SEE! THEY ARE LIKE THE SAME!"

Russell Wilson isn't Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc. He may never be, but there is something to be said for his efficiency. It's not as if players of his caliber aren't easy to obtain or else we wouldn't see the Chad Henne, Kyle Orton, and Ryan Fitzpatrick types getting chance after chance.
12/15/2014 12:43 PM
Since a historically dominant defense is a small common denominator in your mind, how many of these last four games do the Seahawks win if the defense gives up 20 points/game?  The Hawks have scored 19, 19, 24 and 17 points in each of their last four games.  With the defense absolutely throttling opposing offenses and winning the field position battle.  Wilson also happens to have a pretty decent running back.

On only one pass play this week did I see Wilson plant his back foot at the end of his drop and let go out of the football.  He either can't find passing lanes, won't throw to a receiver until he sees separation (instead of anticipating separation), or both.  How many times did he run into sacks this week?  How many this season?  His offensive line is not great (or even good), but he's not helping matters by holding the ball and trying to reverse pivot out of the pocket on 85% of his dropbacks.

He's a fantastic athlete, great guy and a hard worker.  He's not a $20+ million per year quarterback.
12/15/2014 2:51 PM
SF is probably a good example of a team paying a QB more than he's worth.
12/15/2014 3:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/15/2014 3:29:00 PM (view original):
SF is probably a good example of a team paying a QB more than he's worth.
Yep and Seattle will probably do the same thing with Wilson. 
12/15/2014 3:42 PM
You almost have to, IMO.   The way the game is set up now, you have to have a QB who's in the top third of the NFL.    Guys like Smith and Wilson have to concentrate on playing mistake free, thus letting the D win, while the more talented guys, Rodgers and Brady-types, can attempt to win a shootout.   Teams that have "QB battles" in training camp aren't winning a lot of games in the fall/winter.
12/15/2014 3:52 PM
Kaepernick actually got little guaranteed money. They can dump him any offseason they want, and be done with him without a huge cap hit.

Like I said, it's not as if Russell Wilson types are easily found. The types of QBs available in free agency are the ones I mentioned earlier. Seahawks also have one of the weakest WR corps out there.
12/15/2014 3:55 PM
◂ Prev 1...36|37|38|39|40...51 Next ▸
Seahawks! SUPER BOWL Champs! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.