Seahawks! SUPER BOWL Champs! Topic

Here is the list of QB salaries

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/quarterback/limit-25/

15 million a year puts him at 15th on the list ahead of Ben and Brady (who both took less than market value for the good of the team) but behind Cutler, Kaep, Dalton, and Smith.  Luck and Cam are still on their rookie deals.  The 16 million that Dalton makes is probably about right for Wilson (though Dalton is clearly overpaid at that and should be much more in the 10-12 million range).

Here is the list by cap hit, which gives a much different view of their salaries.  http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/cap-hit/quarterback/limit-25/

12/17/2014 5:02 PM
Brady doesn't even count.  His wife makes a billion a year.    He could play football for free and not miss a thing.
12/17/2014 5:15 PM
Posted by moranis on 12/17/2014 5:02:00 PM (view original):

15 million a year puts him at 15th on the list ahead of Ben and Brady (who both took less than market value for the good of the team) but behind Cutler, Kaep, Dalton, and Smith.  Luck and Cam are still on their rookie deals.  The 16 million that Dalton makes is probably about right for Wilson (though Dalton is clearly overpaid at that and should be much more in the 10-12 million range).

Here is the list by cap hit, which gives a much different view of their salaries.  http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/cap-hit/quarterback/limit-25/

Cap hit is what matters, here.
Also $15-$20 million this year against the cap is significantly more than it will be next year.  By all accounts, the Cap is going to increase by a lot next year.
12/17/2014 5:20 PM
Yeah but it is hard to figure out the cap hit in any given year, which is why the averages makes some sense for the purpose of this discussion. 
12/17/2014 5:30 PM
Posted by moranis on 12/17/2014 5:02:00 PM (view original):

Cool.  Now tell me again how paying him 20 million dollars would destroy the team.
12/17/2014 6:08 PM
I can see Wilson taking less.
12/17/2014 6:56 PM
Somebody is drinking the "Wilson is the ultimate team player" kool-aid.

He'll take less if/when his agent decides he can't get more.   As I said before, people think Brady is awesome because he took less.   However, he can't spend the money his wife makes.   They built a ******* moat around their house.  A MOAT!!!!     Was he afraid of an attack from the Vikings?
12/18/2014 8:38 AM
I could see him not soaking them for every last penny, but I think it's silly to expect a guy who hasn't gotten paid at all yet to take a significant discount on his first big contract.  This is the NFL, careers are often cut short, most of the money isn't guaranteed, etc.  And given how reliant he is on his mobility, his shelf life is already probably shorter than most QBs.  

Even leaving the wealth of Gisele aside, it's a completely different thing for guys like Brady/Roethlisberger who have already made a ton of money and are coming to the end of their careers to take a discount.
12/18/2014 8:48 AM
It would be pointless for him to hold out, threaten to leave, etc, etc.    I think he's in the top third of NFL QB but he's never going to be Brady/Rodgers.   He's in a system, and on a team, that works for his skill set.   5/80m with 40-50m guaranteed is lifetime money.    Protects his image, pays him very well and keeps him in a place that works for him.    But he could demand 20m per on the open market and someone would give it to him.
12/18/2014 8:54 AM
Yeah, given that he's signed so cheaply next year and would stupid to try and play through the season to get to the open market, I don't think the deal is going to be that much of an overpay on the moranis scale.

People look at the maximum average total value of Kaepernick's deal and act like that's some sort of floor for Wilson.  But that deal is so team friendly (his only guarantees are against injury, his base salary drops 2 million if he wasn't 1st/2nd team All-Pro and didn't take the team to the Super Bowl to the year prior) that it's probably not a fair comparison.  Kaepernick decided to give up guarantees in exchange for a higher potential ceiling, and it looks like that might turn out to be a bust.

Unless Wilson goes the same route, I think 19-20 million per is the absolute max he gets.

Also, back to the blaming Kaepernick's contract for the 49er woes - he only counted for about 3 million dollars against the cap this year.

12/18/2014 11:14 AM (edited)
When I say less, I mean less than 20. I can't see him holding out for an extra three million a year. The guy is worshipped up here, and I'd love to know what he's making in endorsements because he's on every other commercial during sports broadcasts. Hell, you even get special pre-board privileges from Alaska air if you're wearing a Wilson jersey. Seattle is also one of the best places to live in the country, with no state tax to boot.

Though If he wins another super bowl this season, and they are primed to do so, things might change financially.
12/18/2014 12:30 PM
Hawks sign KJ Wrihht to 4 year extension. They seem worried.
12/18/2014 3:24 PM
Cliff Avril, 4 year extension.
12/19/2014 12:20 PM
Yes, just a game manager
12/21/2014 11:30 PM
Well, he's obviously no Flacco. Big show Joe looked great today.
12/21/2014 11:36 PM
◂ Prev 1...41|42|43|44|45...51 Next ▸
Seahawks! SUPER BOWL Champs! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.