RG III Topic

They wanted him pulled BECAUSE they wanted a win and at a certain point realized that RGIII wasn't going to get it as limited as he was.  I'm not talking about the long term considerations here.  Cousins may have been ineffective, but RGIII clearly was after he tweaked the knee.
1/7/2013 9:24 PM
You dance with the one who brung ya'.

Or some country saying like that.
1/7/2013 10:03 PM
And, in a losing situation, the back-up QB is always the most popular player on the team.
1/7/2013 10:04 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/7/2013 8:12:00 PM (view original):
I'm not sure they wanted him pulled nearly as much as they wanted a win. 

And we all want our guy to fight to stay in the game. 

At the end of the day, if RG gets pulled early in the 3rd quarter and Cousins was ineffecitve, Shanahan can't show his face in DC again.
A good coach doesn't worry about the fans. If Shanahan knows that Cousins is his best option, Cousins should be on the field. Anyone with eyes could see going into half-time that RGIII wasn't effective - so why would they freak out if Cousins comes in and is ineffective? At least there was the possibility that Cousins COULD be effective - not so with RGIII last night.
1/7/2013 11:16 PM
Coaches coach to keep their jobs.   If they didn't, you'd see a lot more go for it on 4th and 2 at the 40.   Belichick can do **** like that, Romeo Crennel cannot. 
1/8/2013 8:31 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/7/2013 10:03:00 PM (view original):
You dance with the one who brung ya'.

Or some country saying like that.
If he's healthy and just playing poorly, I completely agree.  He clearly wasn't healthy after he aggravated his knee on their 2nd scoring drive.  You absolutely have to give him the opportunity to see if he can play through, but once you have to tear out half your playbook because it's obvious to everyone (including the defense) that he's not going to be able to complete a pass down the field, I think you have to make the move. 

But, whatever, not my team, not my coach, not my QB.  And regardless, we agree on the primary point of my response to toddcommish, which is that we never want to see our QB say "I can't go, put him in."
1/8/2013 9:38 AM (edited)
Screws me and anyone else who has him in a keeper league.
1/8/2013 9:30 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/8/2013 8:31:00 AM (view original):
Coaches coach to keep their jobs.   If they didn't, you'd see a lot more go for it on 4th and 2 at the 40.   Belichick can do **** like that, Romeo Crennel cannot. 

Your argument might actually be somewhat relevant if we weren't talking about Shanahan.

He's far closer to Belichick status than Crennel status.

1/8/2013 8:03 PM

Is he?   Doesn't Washington have a petulant owner who wants to play with his toys?

What explanation do you have for RGIII staying in the game when it was pretty apparent that he was a gimp?   Shanahan didn't notice?

1/8/2013 8:21 PM
Shanahan's stubborn?

A) Snyder won't fire a coach like Shanahan for one bad decision.

B) Even if he did, I don't think Shanahan's worried about finding a job. He'd have at least 5 teams knocking down his door if he became available. Somehow I doubt Crennel can say the same.
1/8/2013 8:24 PM
He's either a good coach or he isn't. 

If "everyone" could see that Griffin was ineffective, why did Shanahan leave him in?
1/8/2013 8:39 PM
"Shanahan's stubborn".

You're like talking to a brick wall sometimes. Find me one person on this site who agrees with you that Shanahan left RGIII in because he feared for his job.
1/8/2013 9:30 PM
Find me one person who'll say "That Shanahan cost his team a chance to advance because, even though he knew Griffin was ineffective, he was too stubborn to make the change.   But he's still a good coach."

This wasn't one bad play call.   It was a game long decision.
1/9/2013 9:03 AM
The Drunken rat screwed it up.  He should have had the balls to pull RG3 when he clearly wasn't up to par.  I mean, sailing passes over guys heads was laughable.  Shame.....****** ending to a wonderful season by RG3.
1/9/2013 9:37 AM
Love makes smart people do stupid things.  Yes, I said love.

I don't know who made the decision, but clearly everyone, fans, media, players, wanted Robert to keep playing because they're all in love with him.  You even see comments about how his intangibles, he's a better young man than a player, he was the leader from day one, he could lead men into war... like they expect to see miracles.  Well, now he's only got one leg.

I watched the Cotton Bowl trying to project Johnny Football as an NFL player, and all I kept thinking was how small he is and that he's going to get his *** kicked.

1/9/2013 10:02 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
RG III Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.